new to this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to this

I am definitely an alcoholic. I can't work with AA. I'm looking for support. I've been on Campral for quite a while and it definitely does reduce the urge for alcohol. Yet, the compulsion to keep drinking, even though I don't get drunk or want to drink remains. Anybody have this issue?

new to this

Hiya, Rosy and welcome.

I think you might want to look to MissyAbby. She's got some experience with campral. I'm taking baclofen. It's helped. I don't know much about campral, but wanted to say hello!

Ne

Comment

new to this

Well, you should find a fair amount of support here. Most of us are using a drug called baclofen, and so won't be able to help out so much on the campral side of things, but there are some people with campral experience, who I'm sure will be along shortly.

I could never get with AA either, so meds were a godsend for me. I hope you find the same.

Good luck. You're in the right place.

Comment

new to this

I m taking topiramate and Nalterxone. I truly tried AA, but I couldn t.
        You ll find support and a lot of information here.
        Welcome!

Comment

new to this

Hi Rosy, I'm pretty new to this site too, well new in feeling part of it rather than an onlooker. I tried campral a couple of times; I live in England and my doctor was quite happy to prescribe it, suggesting AA as well. I'm not a 'joiner' and bypassed the AA route. However campral diminished the remains of post menopausal libido and gave me indigestion - so I dropped it. Yes, it DID slightly help with cravings but not enough to tolerate side effects. I've been posting a very apprehensive thread on baclofen but the replies have been so helpful it might offer you some guidance? Ultimately, I have decided to try it, albeit at a wimpish dose - and presuming I survive the first few days, will take it from there.

I think the compulsion to drink against all the common sense in the world is what makes us alcoholic! This is a great site - the best I've come across for me.

love Cher

Comment

new to this

Hi Rosy and welcome - I am a little confused - you say that the compulsion to keep drinking continues even though you don't get drunk, or want to drink - correct? So..... if you don't want to drink - why take that first one? I am on Topa and have recently decided to go AF - the first few days were hard but then I decided to HAVE a drink and went and bought some but when I got it home, I REALLY didn't want it - so didn't have one. I am not sure that I am following your problem - is it that you still feel compelled to drink even though you don't really want to?

sun X
            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

new to this

Hi Rosy, I used Campral about 10 years ago and found it to be helpful in staying alcohol free. I managed to stay abstinent for 2 months at that time, and would have probably done better had I not become lazy and missed doses. I had been a heavy daily drinker before starting it. So it did seem to work for me to reduce alcohol cravings, although I had to also work to avoid alcohol (i.e. the Campral didn't totally block all thoughts about alcohol by itself). I have read that it can stop working if someone drinks much while taking it, or at least its effects may become reduced while drinking.

I also tried AA numerous times but the simple fact for me was that going to meetings and talking to others there did not have much specific effect on my cravings. I felt the same about alcohol after meetings as compared to before. However some of AA's steps can help in the sense of addressing other personal issues, and AA can be a helpful sober social outlet. Some do find that AA reduces their cravings if they are able to closely follow the program and the higher power idea and I have attended again at times.

Best of luck with it, you may find baclofen or another medication to be more helpful if Campral is not what you are looking for.

Comment

new to this

Hi Rosy, I started Campral in January of this year. At first it was just like a miracle. From the very first dose I just lost the urge to drink completely, and I have been an increasingly heavy drinker for the last 20yrs. Of late, unfortunately, it has lost its efficacy and I am slowly heading back down the dreaded path of pre Campral.

I am not sure if this is one of the unfortunate things about Campral i.e. loss of efficacy, or it's just me! I have heard of people being able to maintain abstinence on Campral but it would appear I am not one of them. I guess, if you are in the earlier stages of using this medication, I would urge you to continue. Unfortunately, for me, whether it is the usual old adage of changing long term behaviour, or just the medication not working anymore is one of those conundrums.

I am waiting for an appointment with a clinic here which offers a range of medication, including Campral, Naltrexone and Baclofen (and others I believe) I will certainly be asking a range of questions (including the long term efficacy of Campral). AA was a trial for me also but, as Greg said, can be a face to face support.

Best of luck in your quest for sobriety, its a bloody tricky thing, to say the least.

There are so many variables to consider but support from this forum is always available whether you go down the medication way or not.

Will let you know what the clinic says about Campral, if you would like. But you have at least started your battle, and that is the most important thing.

Missy :h

Comment

Working...
                X