Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naltrexone.. only weeding out the bad habits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all! New here.. with a very specific question!

I see that many of you are trying naltrexone. I am seriously considering it, using it as in the Sinclair Method. I'll label myself as a problem drinker, I can refrain from drinking days, weeks at a time.. but when I lose control.. I REALLY lose it.

I have picked up running as a healthy alternative to deal with stress, and well, give me something else to do to stay out of trouble. I am a little worried because Naltrexone is not selective.. as I block the endophins from drinking, I can as easily do the same for the endorphins produced by running.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am sure it is just careful planning.. I have a 10K comming up and don't want to jinks myself... but I also want to get more control over my life ASAP.

I'd appreciate any advice (except.. I can't ask my doctor as I don't have insurance)
    Thanks all, I look foward to reading more and becoming more familiar with the group.

BoniR

Boniramona

Welcome and I can answer your question as best I can, based upon my own experience. I too had heard that nal could affect other 'healthy' behaviours. I have a background in competitive athletics, and have progressed into other sports to a reasonable level ie I'm pretty serious about my training, it is 'me' and I am hoping to compete in my chosen sport soon. Anyway I've had no problems with exercise since using naltrexone, and the confidence gained from knowing alcohol no longer affects me to the extent it did has driven me on in my training. I'm quite happily working out 5-6 days a week and my strength is going through the roof. I do occasionally feel tired if I have drunk on the nal, but nothing compared to how I felt after a full on drinking session anyway.

One thing I would say is to be prepared to possibly drink everyday. I found that knowing I could now stop at 1, 2 or 3 meant I let myself drink more often, since you do have to drink on naltrexone in under to undergo pharmacological extinction it isn't something to necessarily worry about.

I still get a high from exercising although that could be from the sheer acheivement more than anything!

Comment

Hi BoniR

This forum has a lot of information. thesinclairmethod.com • Index page
      Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
      April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
      wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
      wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
      wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
      wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
      wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
      wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
      http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Thanks for the speedy info!!! I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I'm going to order the Nal on Monday...
        BoniR

Comment

Working...
        X