Hit the switch at 140mg Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, this my second time round on Baclofen, the first being around 4 years a go when I hit the switch at 240mg but my doctor refused to prescribe it to me due to the ammount I was taking, I lasted about 8 months before hitting the bottle again.. So purchased new Bac online around 2 months a go & I'm Happy to say I hit the switch at 140mg which is a huge relief as the SE's were pretty bad this time round. Starting to lower the dosage * hope to stick to 40mg per day. Has anybody had any experience in taking their maintenance dose every other day?? Something which I might experiment with once I have settled down to 40mg.. Has been a very interesting time over the last few weeks as I have had to go to a few bbq's which I didnt have a problem with even had a glass of wine which I didnt finish & purchased some Cobra 0% alcohol, Cobra really is 0% alcohol & found that I only drank half of that.. I just wish it would work on the nicotine habit but hey, we can't have it all. Jem

Congratulations Jem, it's a wonderful feeling!

I have had no joy with maintenance doses, and need to stay fairly close to the dose I found indifference at, or I end up drinking quite quickly. What makes you think that 40mg's is your maintenance dose, if you don't mind me asking, and how did you arrive at that number?

Comment

Has anybody had any experience in taking their maintenance dose every other day??
      I think a chorus of angels is going to ring out: "Not a Good Idea!"

Every time I'd forget to take baclofen for even just a day, I'd find myself drinking again. Perhaps on some uncharted part of my psyche I was looking for an excuse to drink, but I don't think so. Sticking to my modest dose of 50mg I could, and can, go AF indefinitely. But even 25 Mg lower than that can knock me off the tracks.
      (Actually, that's how it was for the first 6 months. I've started drinking the occasional AF beer - and sometimes several of them. I don't know if this is a great idea, but it's certainly kept me 100% AF since Easter, even though I have on several occasions neglected to take my bac dose. I hope I'm not becoming addicted to AF beer, that would be weird... And I guess an AF beer belly looks just as unattractive as a real one, so there's something for me to think about...)

But generally I think the rule is, you need your daily baclofen.

Oh I nearly forgot -- Congratulations on hitting the switch!

Comment

Hi Bleep, I think it may have come from Dr Ameisens book, I think his maintenance dose was 40mg per day & maybe up to 50mg in stressful situations.
        Thanks seethepony, to be honest I'm forever forgetting to take my Bac usually a couple of times a week & it hasnt affected my way of thinking at all which makes me wonder is it possible to take it every other day.. I missed a whole day last week & didnt feel any different.. I wonder if it might be due to my first time on Baclofen when my Doctor stopped prescribing when I was up to 240mg, I begged him to prescribe it as I was worried about the withdrawal, he offered Prozac which I declined. thankfully i didnt suffer any withdrawal from the Baclofen.. I am going to try it & see how I react over a couple of weeks..

Comment

My maintinance dose is 140mg, I went lower and thought it was working but it wasnt. 140mg is sweet.
          I may try and go down 10mg in a few months time after my holidays

Phil

Comment

bounce;1126258 wrote: My maintinance dose is 140mg, I went lower and thought it was working but it wasnt. 140mg is sweet.
            I may try and go down 10mg in a few months time after my holidays

Phil
            Hi Phil, yeah I couldn't manage 140mg as a maintenance dose due to the SE's, they were really bad this time round can't imagine what they would have been like if I had gone any higher. I am getting the odd SE as I'm lowering but they are few & far between, should be interesting to experiment, seeing if I can go lower than 40mg, nothing to lose as if it dosnt work I'll just up my dosage. The good thing is this is the second time I have been on it & both times it has worked..

Comment

Hiya, Jeremy. That's really great! It's not so amazing that the medicine works time and time again, if you think about it, right? It treats the chemical imbalance and so, it works to treat the chemical imbalance each and every time.

Seethepony;1126152 wrote: I think a chorus of angels is going to ring out: "Not a Good Idea!"
              Add me to the chorus! Because even though it worked the second time (out of necessity for you in that case. Sorry. That sucks.) Who wants to go through it again and again if they have a choice? It's been pretty well established that the half-life of baclofen changes when you're taking a lot of it over a long-ish period of time. It takes a couple of days to 'catch up' in your system when you don't have enough of it. So every other day seems like not a good idea. Also, I would imagine it would increase SEs since we've pretty well established, through trial and error, that taking it evenly and regularly, mitigates those SEs.

(Ameisen has reported several different maintenance doses over the years. Last October in a radio interview he said he takes 120mg daily. I can't think where it is, maybe on the Consolidated Baclofen Thread, but it's there and it's true!)

Anyway, congratulations. Thanks for posting! jkttp!
              :l
              Ne

Comment

Working...
              X