New Ameisen Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Ameisen Interview

This was broadcast today on Minnesota Public Radio. I'm listening to it now and my God but OA is a boring bugger. I have no idea if there's anything interesting in the interview and it's unlikely I'll manage to stay awake to find out. If anyone else would like to take the Stay Awake During The Ameisen Interview challenge, here ya go:
    Improved addiction treatment | Minnesota Public Radio News

The unexamined life is not worth living

New Ameisen Interview

OUCH. That's all I've got.

Dr. OA is so damn brilliant. He's so right. He's not listening. again.

ouch.

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

Murphyx;1127606 wrote: This was broadcast today on Minnesota Public Radio. I'm listening to it now and my God but OA is a boring bugger. I have no idea if there's anything interesting in the interview and it's unlikely I'll manage to stay awake to find out. If anyone else would like to take the Stay Awake During The Ameisen Interview challenge, here ya go:
      Sounds like his book then - no offence to those who did take inspiration from him!

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

Loved the book.

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

I never read it. Oh my God, my secret is out. I was going to read it, but I couldn't be arsed. Just as well by the sounds of it, it was hellish boring. Were there any car chases or hot sex scenes? NO!!! BORING!!!!

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

Just a guy saving himself from his incurable disease. Nope. No car chases. He's had girlfriends, before, though. Does that titillate enough? :H

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

Maybe he sounds boring because he's tired of talking to idiots on programs entitles 'improved treatment for addiction. Improved, what's all that about?

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

Also- there were a few moments when I thought he was going to get a bit fruity with his roomates at the detox clinics

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

Ukblonde;1127621 wrote: Sounds like his book then - no offence to those who did take inspiration from him!
                  :wow3: :H

I disagree. I thought OA's book was an excellent short read. If you're in for dull, repetitive and boring, try Eskapa's!

Different strokes for different folks I guess!
                  :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                  :what?:
                  sigpic
                  Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                  A Forum
                  Trolls need not apply

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

to me his book is like a bible....
                    loved it
                    for the first time somebody else could prescribe exactely what i went through
                    my anxietyproblem my compulsive behaviour my always tense body...
                    taking ad and not helping enough, the craving everything

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

I truly loved his book. I've read it multiple times.

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

Murphyx;1127606 wrote: This was broadcast today on Minnesota Public Radio. I'm listening to it now and my God but OA is a boring bugger. I have no idea if there's anything interesting in the interview and it's unlikely I'll manage to stay awake to find out. If anyone else would like to take the Stay Awake During The Ameisen Interview challenge, here ya go:
                        Ukblonde;1127621 wrote:
                        Sounds like his book then - no offense to those who did take inspiration from him!
                        Unfortunately I have to agree with you both though I don't think he intended writing thrill a minute beach book! I managed to get through the book because this was my one course left to freedom. If I had believed reading the bible cover to cover was necessary then I would have had to do that ... I think.

I have yet to listen to the whole interview, not for the reason you give Murph 'though having heard the start I can sympathise; but due to waiting for it to download on my slow connection!

One thing seems apparent is that he is determined to get his thoughts across regardless of the specific question he is responding to. Not only isn't he listening to the alcohol voice any longer but he doesn't seem to be interested in listening to anyone's voice but his own.

Extrapolating this rather tentatively I wonder if this is a result of baclofen. It seems to me that many people become mightily empowered after baclofen and indifference and less sensitive to influences that may be at conflict with their own ideas. This may be a natural reaction which is common to many alcoholics who have got their addiction under control - I know I met a few sanctimonious and righteous characters at AA. It also may have some relation to baclofen.

In my own experience I made a couple of serious business mistakes whilst at my higher doses of baclofen. I had been warned by friends but chose to ignore those warnings because I felt that I had incomparable clarity of vision that others were not aware of. My natural tendency to be wary (flight or fight response) was subdued and consequently made a bold stand which in retrospect was not only wrong but foolhardy.

This isn't the most coherent post that I've written but self aggrandizement is seldom well tolerated whether bac induced or deserved.
                        Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

I haven't read either Dr A's or Dr E's books, because I assume they would be a dry as a cracker to read. Thanks for posting the broadcast Murph, my suspicion is confirmed. I'll take the easy route and learn from the pioneers actually trying these meds on here.
                          Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                          April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                          wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                          wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                          wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                          wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                          wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                          wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                          http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

The link given only allows one to listen to a live torrent, which isn't suitable for my connection. Can anyone help me download a hard copy of this interview?
                            Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

New Ameisen Interview

Ig, I'm not sure that's possible. I can't see a way of downloading it.

Comment

Working...
                              X