Indiffrence or Resistance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wrote this last night but wanted to post it to you and all that gather at this watering hole

A question and I probably should start a thread -

All,
    I have/had terrible anxiety before Bac. Ad's, Ativan, Zanax, etc. Nothing helped.
    From the first day I felt relief with Baclofen.
    I just wanted your humble opinion.
    I think maybe in my case it was not the cravings but the relief of anxiety. I no longer "needed" a drink to function, mingle, co-exist, whatever we consider the underlying factor for drinking in excess. A day lead into days, a week, and a full month (almost) not needing a drinK to be me!

Just let me know and I will make a thread on this.

I don't want to screw up the belief of anxiety over resistance or indifference.

Thanks, and love

LL
    The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

And mis-spelled already HATE THAT!
    The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

Comment

LadyLush;1135805 wrote: I wrote this last night but wanted to post it to you and all that gather at this watering hole

A question and I probably should start a thread -

All,
      I have/had terrible anxiety before Bac. Ad's, Ativan, Zanax, etc. Nothing helped.
      From the first day I felt relief with Baclofen.
      I just wanted your humble opinion.
      I think maybe in my case it was not the cravings but the relief of anxiety. I no longer "needed" a drink to function, mingle, co-exist, whatever we consider the underlying factor for drinking in excess. A day lead into days, a week, and a full month (almost) not needing a drinK to be me!

Just let me know and I will make a thread on this.

I don't want to screw up the belief of anxiety over resistance or indifference.

Thanks, and love

LL
      LL,

I think this is a great post. I took positivity from it......are you saying from your first dose you felt no need to drink? Or something that happened over time?

Congratulations to you...I hope that I too will feel this way soon.....

Thanks for your inspiration!
      AF July 6 2014

Comment

Christy,
        No, I drank, (in the beginning), but the anxiety was/is gone.
        I don't fret about crap anymore. I don't know really how to put it in perspective.
        I know now, I do not need alcohol or anything else to calm me down.
        I had a meeting today; I was on the top of my game.
        No fear, no nothing. I hope to someone this makes sense!
        My life has never been better!...

LL:l

Comment

I think it's fantastic. And it makes sense. I think we all became alcoholics because of an underlying problem like anxiety. If you were drinking to calm the anxiety, and you no longer feel the anxiety, you are less likely to need to drink anymore. Wish it would have been that simple for me!

Comment

I never knew I was anxious (not the right word for me, I still don't know what is) until suddenly one day I felt a bit better. That was the only way I knew that something had changed. I've never been very introspective though, so it's possible I was a jumbled ball of nerves and had never realised it!

Strangely, I always thought of myself as fairly relaxed, when clearly that wasn't the case.

Comment

yep. nope. never really thought of it this way myself, but it's a good 'un. i think drink has always been a way for me to quell something. anxiety would be a great umbrella term for the underlying shit that motivated such a destructive response.

Comment

Dear LL

Wow, your post resonated with me to such an extent I had to reply.

(Ok, first I have to do the gushy thing again........ To all those who replied to me in Newies Nest .............awwwwww you guys are SO great. I actually went into hiding after that post. I tend to over analyse everything and starting thinking "What if I have offended someone ?" What if I sounded really lame ? .... etc etc etc. When I finally did pluck up the courage to return I was so overwhelmed by your responses ...... sob ! )

Right, promise no more of that. Onto the matter at hand.

I too suffered from anxiety attacks for as long as I can remember (even as a child as young as 6). In addition to this I have always felt that the world was like a ......... well like television set with the volume on max and no off switch. Bac has become my remote control (ok, so this is a really lame, horrendous analogy but I can't think of a better one to describe what I felt )

A month into bac and I have not had a single attack, the TV has been muted and I feel at peace.

It does make me angry though. When I think of all the shrinks and all the meds I have seen and taken over the past 20 years and that all I needed was this little white tablet (which I prescribed and ordered for myself over the internet ! ).

Bac had a profound effect on my life in so many ways, aside and I honestly could not imagine life without it at this stage.

Comment

Wow !!!! I really am quite sappy at the moment. Right .................. I'm blaming it on the bac !!!!!

Comment

Thanks all!

Christy, I am so glad you are here!

Facade! You are staying now! Anxiety causes so much depreciation in every aspect of our life. It was the sword I could not fight.
                    Baclofen is the ONLY thing ever that helped me.

I have got to go to work, but keep talking. Let everyone know what Baclofen can do. I do not work for the drug companies as someone PM'd me. I am here to say take the damn pill. It is REAL, and it works. My life is MY life again. Words can not express the gratitude I have for Dr. O discovering this. And sticking with it., and writing his book.

Love y'all:l

LL

Comment

Blame it on the bac, it does funny things to your head anyway! It's good to see you again Facade, and you didn't piss anybody off. Even if you did, it's a forum of alcoholics! We were wondering what had happened to you! Please let us know how you're doing?

I was one of those that Murphy has spoken about - I drank because it was fun. I think. But to me, it was the most enormous amount of fun, much more fun than absolutely anything else, and much more fun than my mates had. Then, a personal fuck-up in my early twenties put into me alcoholic boot-camp, and there was no going back after I graduated with full honours.

Well, until baclofen...

Comment

Bminor,

That is what I believe. Keep going! You are doing great!

LL:l

Comment

Hi, Facade! Welcome bac. Sheesh. Talk about anxiety! Good to see you. We've almost all felt like that. Okay, not bleep. But everyone else. :H

I didn't know I had anxiety, either. That's not what I would call it, either.

For me it's a little more like the volume/remote analogy. (nice one, thanks.) But it's more that I think I internalized everything. Meaning that if there was a tv show about something sad, I was overwhelmed.

hmmm. No that's not quite it. I'll have to come bac to it.

Anyway. Great topic LL. It's what OA suggested and one of the things they're studying in Amsterdam. (I think they're looking at whether or not it helps a specific kind of alkie. Among other things. Like, maybe, does it work? :H)

I would completely agree with the theory, and would take it a step further and suggest that managing
                          the anxiety has a lot to do with managing bac. And vice versa. Which might explain why we have so many varied switch doses and responses.

I know I'm going waaaaaay out on a limb, sort of. It's already been shot down, offline, by people who know almost as much as, ahem, everyone else. (That's a joke, okay?)
                          But I still think there's some validity to it. Would explain why weight/length of abuse/genetic history seems to have as much to do with indifference level as hair length. Also might explain why the young 'uns might have a lower threshold. Am I going to get blasted?

And the bottom line? Then you get into who has more anxiety than whom, and that is VERY subjective. Nine months ago, I would've rated my anxiety level at very low. Not realizing that jumping like a startled cat every time there was a loud noise or an unexpected person walked into the room was anxiety. Who knew? I'm just eternally grateful that it's gone too. Woop woop

Comment

Wow,

I have got to catch up on all these threads. Murphy, I almost think you need to drink again!
                            But obviously you have taken up writing instead! Gotta keep them hands busy..
                            Gosh, I will read when time permits. I am trying to get the contractors in shape on my house so I can get it listed in a couple weeks! Yippee! Thanks to Baclofen my life is slowly and surely moving forward. Glad to see SO MANY people having success on the Baclofen in one way or another! Anxiety free and alcohol free I now cherish as a miracle.

Take care every one (and I guess I bumped this didn't I :-)

Oh, and Love the Al Gore line, our Congressmen come up with some doozies!:boohoo:

LL:groupluv:

Comment

This is a very good thread!
                              You Know, as early as I can remember(7 or 8 yrs. old) I never felt comfortable in my own skin.
                              My household growing up was very Turbulant!(My older Brother was a Herion Addict & caused a great deal of chaos) By the the time I was 12, I was having full blown panic attacks( I had no idea what was wrong with me)My family just blew it off, afterall they had enough to deal with, (my Brother).
                              So low and behold< I found Alcohol. (I tried other substances- pot, speed etc...) But alcohol seemed to do the trick. Not only that, but even if I wasn't drinking, I 've always had huge issues with sleep.
                              I could get to sleep, but not for long(soI found sleeping pills).
                              After reading this thread I might give Baclofen a try. But what do I tell my Doctor that I need it for?

Comment

Working...
                              X