Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is buying prescription-only medication online a crime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was under the impression it wasnt, but this BBC article states:

"The agency that regulates pharmaceutical drugs, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), said it was now pursuing an alleged doctor in Egypt.

While the man did nothing illegal, buying prescription-only medicines without a doctor's signature within the UK is a crime."
    BBC News - International drug website shut down after BBC probe

It also states that online pharmacies are being shut down could it mean the end of the Bac? I understand the concern in this case, with Tramadol being a strong opiod - but how will this affect us (if at all)?

Goldpharma always sends me a note saying "Our associated physician just reviewed and approved the requested medicine as suitable for your treatment."

I assume there really is someone glancing at my reasons for ordering the medication - since that glance and their approval costs 6 Euros a pop I like to imagine this person actually exists... Either way, I end up having the feeling that I do indeed have a prescription for baclofen. (Whether the local lawmakers see it the same way is different matter.)

The online store mentioned in your article was in Egypt and required nothing more than a credit card number for ordering Whatever-ya-want. Goldpharma at least appears to be a notch more legitimate... I searched their site for Ritalin once and came up empty handed. So they don't appear to be in the business of selling any old crap to anyone. I hope that's the case, anyway....

Comment

AverageJoe;1138167 wrote: I was under the impression it wasnt, but this BBC article states:

BBC News - International drug website shut down after BBC probe

It also states that online pharmacies are being shut down could it mean the end of the Bac? I understand the concern in this case, with Tramadol being a strong opiod - but how will this affect us (if at all)?
      No HOWEVER some drugs are classified as 'controlled' and Tramadol being a strong-opiod based painkiller almost definitely falls into this category. Valium, benzos in general, medical grade amphetamine and GHB are also given a classification not dissimilar to 'illegal' drugs.

Most pharmacuetical medications are not illegal to possess, although some are illegal to trade on. I did see a BBC documentary a month or so back where they said Customs & Excise do keep on eye on anyone seen to be ordering huge quanities of certain meds, and will act if they suspect someone is then selling these on to others.

Baclofen isn't a controlled drug so for now pretty safe.

Comment

Seethepony;1138186 wrote: Goldpharma always sends me a note saying "Our associated physician just reviewed and approved the requested medicine as suitable for your treatment."

I assume there really is someone glancing at my reasons for ordering the medication - since that glance and their approval costs 6 Euros a pop I like to imagine this person actually exists... Either way, I end up having the feeling that I do indeed have a prescription for baclofen. (Whether the local lawmakers see it the same way is different matter.)

The online store mentioned in your article was in Egypt and required nothing more than a credit card number for ordering Whatever-ya-want. Goldpharma at least appears to be a notch more legitimate... I searched their site for Ritalin once and came up empty handed. So they don't appear to be in the business of selling any old crap to anyone. I hope that's the case, anyway....
        I have an idea Ritalin is on the 'dodgy' list along with benzos, so you'll rarely see them on a legit site.

Comment

hi not average!

Comment

It sounds like government drug classification in the UK is similar to that in Australia, although in Australia individual states can further regulate some things.

I'd imagine customs could get harsh on this sort of thing if they wanted to, but I haven't heard anything like that here yet. I recently received a medicine from inhouse pharmacy and customs didn't stop it. I think they are more concerned with policing drugs classified as addictive however and hopefully may not worry so much about other drugs.

Comment

UKB is absolutely correct. There is no law preventing you from importing prescription only medicine into the UK for personal use (not for resale) but not controlled (scheduled) drugs such as opioids and benzos.

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

Working...
              X