test for gaba deficiency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry if this has been discussed already.
    is there a test for deficiencies in neurotransmitters such as gaba, dopamine, seratonin,etc? have any of you guys been tested? just wondering. I seem to remember a discussion on this earlier.
    also, has anyone heard about any tests on glutamate? I wonder if this disease could be approached from the opposite method of decreasing glutamate for this suffering from alcoholism and anxiety? does BAC do this or just increase gaba to offset an increased glutamate level? have a good day. grat.
    guess I could just google.

We could all just Google, but it wouldn't be much of a forum if we did!

The only test I know of is to see who is still at the bar after closing hours, and chances are they are deficient.

Would be a very interesting thing to test for though.

Comment

lol! now that is funny. and that was me. and of course the bloody Mary or 5 in the morning.
      I just wonder if there are different types of alkies or just different approaches to the " cure".
      why would different meds work for different people?

Comment

I think there are different alcoholics. I certainly enjoyed booze more than my fellow man, but I think I trained to become an alcoholic. Other people talk of being one at the first sip. Maybe at the end of it we are all the same though?

Similarly, I think there are many way out of the hole as well. For me, baclofen proved to be easy and fun, which was a decided bonus.

Comment

Hey Grat, Bleep,

According to several books there are several types of alcoholic, and you can be one or several types wrapped up into one.
          For example, if you are of Asian or Celtic ancestry, you will have two different types. Asians cannot metabolize AL, and sometimes are also allergic. So you can be Asian and addicted/allergic.
          If you're Celtic, you're likely to be Omega 3 deficient and you may also be allergic. In this situation, you would supplement with Omega 3 fish oil.

Seven Weeks to Sobriety and I think The Mood Cure (and maybe Depression Free Naturally) talk about these types as well as others, and they also say that the supplementation is important for all alcoholics due to deficiencies caused by abuse over time as well as for mood elevation and anxiety alleviation. You can test yourself (the books have a symptom checklist for this) and see what type you are so you know what to do and what caused it.

I've never been tested for gaba and I don't see it on my labsheet as an option.

Comment

Working...
          X