Losing my religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing my religion

SlipperyPete;1147683 wrote: Loop I've read your comments in this thread 6 times, and I've agreed with them 5 times.
    No way!?! Me too!!
    :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
    :what?:
    sigpic
    Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
    A Forum
    Trolls need not apply

Comment

Losing my religion

I agree with everybody.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Losing my religion

I disagree with Beatle, but not vehemently.

Ne, sorry, but I disagree. If you aren't a fan of the blog threads, simply don't read them. And I hate to point it out, lest you think I'm being snarky (I'm not), but your blog has 1 387 posts in it currently, the highest of any blog thread. So at least for a while, you have agreed with the usefulness of blog threads.

And I think they are very useful. Initially, they deal with titration from a first person POV, and what could be more relevant to baclofen than that. Nothing is more useful to someone starting out than a first-hand account of someone's experience. They can choose to model their titration on it, or not. They can get an idea of how a person felt, and reacted to baclofen as they went up. You don't get this from a generic list of SE's. You don't get this from the Consolidated thread, for all the useful information it contains. You only get this sort of very valuable information from personal blogs. As such, I think they serve a very important role.

And Murph's thread, since it is being singled out? It's already brought a couple of people out of the woodwork, who specifically attributed their "coming out" to the thread, and more importantly, to Murph's humour. For that alone it deserves a starring role in the threads. Plus, it's fun, and there needn't be any more reason than that. This is by nature a gloomy and oppressive disease, so any humour or bright light is to be seized. On that note, the general tone of the entire site is hopeful and cheery, an amazing feat considering.

Comment

Losing my religion

Never, not once, singled out Murphy's thread. Not sure where thatcame from. Also never said that blogging was bad. I said it had become exclusive. And other things. The rest? Other people's words, NOT mine. On the road. Peace out!

Comment

Losing my religion

Sorry - with Murph's thread, I was responding to Murph's post, above. I should have made that clear. I'd like to point out though that

Ne/Neva Eva;1146940 wrote:
            No updated information about titration schedules. No updated information about SEs. No updated information about what's going on in the world in relation to treatment with medication. No discussions, in any real way, about how to stay sober, or even successfully moderate, using medications as a tool to achieve those goals.
            is covered very nicely by the blogs. This isn't so much in response to you, more to the direction the thread has taken, so I don't really understand the hostility to them. Sure, they diverge after a time, but at the start of every blog, there is a very useful summary of how the individual got there. In a way, the fact that they then diverge is a subtle testament to the power of baclofen. The issues faced by the people cease to be related to alcohol, and instead life kicks in.

Comment

Losing my religion

Bleep, I'm right there with you not understanding why this is such a big issue. I can understand some people being impatient with the format that the data is delivered through, but for those people there is the consolidated baclofen thread or they can ask for help and it is delivered. I believe the meds forum is very helpful that way. I initially found it difficult to break into the meds forum, but I think it's a friendlier place now, more like the Need Help ASAP forum, but not quite there yet. I remember posting in peoples' threads years ago and not getting any response at all. Here, someone responds at least once when a lurker posts in a thread that piques their need. I don't think this needs to be belabored. It's different styles for different ways of ingesting data. I like both styles, the pure data style for quick assimilation and the bloggy threads. If anyone posted anything on my bloggy, I'd be responding within a day to them most of the time. My thread helps me to chart my story, and I hope it helps someone else. I also discuss side effects and doses on my thread.

My two bits.

Comment

Losing my religion

Wow. Bleep said it perfectly. I don't think I could've said it without sounding "snarky." And I also agree with B in not understanding why this is such a big issue. It sounds like the boards were much different 6 months ago? I'd just like to reiterate that the personal vibe that you find in the blog threads is infinitely more helpful (to me) than simply a list of effects and SE's. Sure it may take more time to wade through than a "post your story here in 140 characters or less" thread, but I think most of us that made it to these boards were at the end of the line, and thus highly motivated to find the answers.
                Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
                George Santayana

Comment

Losing my religion

Ne, I understand your point. It is one I'm personally battling with. The point of the matter in regards to myself, is that recovery with baclofen or without, is a process. I've said it over and over. Recovery is two steps foward and one step back, at times. I understand it's impossible to see the growth in a person, if you haven't been following along...mostly.

The blogs may start out with SEs and titration schedules, and the number of units consumed daily, but they eventually become... something else. Baclofen side effects begin to fade (or you find a way around them). Alcohol no longer holds the same power over you. You start to live your life, and all the rest becomes very important. I think writing the personal style blogs are a need for many people around here. At least in the beginning. And you said it yourself. The amount of viewing is rivaling the GD section, on some days. Something must be right in this case.

The personal blogs are impossible to keep up with. It seems some are able to keep up with all of them, and others pick and choose who they want to keep up with. There is no crime in that. The only problem I forsee, is the issue of getting the real information across. And dealing with any guilt that may occur from not being able to get involved with some people (my case).

When I came here last December, I was able to find the information I needed immediately. I believe I found Loop's Consolidated thread. I needed what I needed, and I needed it stat. I didn't have to weed through personal blogs to find it. This is the true issue. To have people go over to the blog section, which nobody looks at, for their personal bac journey, will be less than fruitful. For them and for others.

One thing I would like to mention. I had a poster come on my blog recently, who has had a tough time with titration. This person can't seem to find a happy medium, and one that follows their MDs recommendations. I responded in the way I knew how, which was to listen to your body, and titrate accordingly. Bleep was the only other person who responded to this individual. And we all know, I haven't been the poster child of success in regards to bac. I know for a fact, you read my blog. I later saw on another's thread, you state that listening to your body would have gotten you nowhere in regards to indifference. I don't want to assume you were quoting me, but you did put quotation marks around it, and it was right after I wrote it. This would have been a perfect time to jump in and offer your advice. I'm sure you could have done it eloquently, as not to offend me. You are very gifted in the written word.

My main point is, many people could have contributed their own experiences here, and almost nobody did. I believe it was a missed opportunity for this individual to hear about more experiences. Maybe we should/could jump in to the blogs when able, and guide them in the right direction.
                  This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Losing my religion

I deleted my post. It believe it read as accusatory and rather immature.
                    This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Losing my religion

I want to make clear my comment about the "I agree" posters wasn't aimed at NE, obviously. We cross posted.

I don't see a popularity contest and I don't see anyone being left out because they're not one of the 'cool kids'. Everyone has a story to tell and each story is as valuable and important as any other. It doesn't matter how many people read or contribute to them, the important thing is, the author gets the opportunity to tell her story. So for the blog threads it certainly is "either/or" and no, none of us can decide which is valuable and which isn't and I'm not going to be part of a group that takes it upon itself to determine which person gets to tell their story.

The problem isn't the blog threads, it's very simply the lack of stickies. For some reason the admin of this site won't allow stickies. It's an easy problem to solve, just stick up a website with the important information that all noobs need pointing at. Each time a noobie arrives we tell them "welcome, have a read through of this site www.whatthefuckever.co.uk and make sure you come back to tell us your story, BECAUSE WE ACTUALLY VALUE YOU AND WANT TO GET TO KNOW YOU AND HELP YOU".

I'll even put the site up if it'll stop all this bullshit.

And if anyone replies to this post with an "I agree
                      " I will kick them until they're dead.

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

Losing my religion

I agree
                        Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                        April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                        wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                        wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                        wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                        wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                        wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                        wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                        http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Losing my religion

Me, too. Just kidding. I'd never agree. Unless I was under duress, which I am not.*

Red, sister, I don't actually read all the threads anymore. Bums me out, but there it is. I mostly check in on the ones I know will reach out to me if they need me, specifically.
                          I didn't read your reaction and wasn't responding to it. I wouldn't actually have contradicted you, and might have pointed out that that didn't work for me. I felt like my body spent a lot of time saying, "NOOOOOOO! Drink MORE!" just ftr.

The reason for the thread? Lost long ago. Certainly not where it is, and a moot point now.

The fact that it was misinterpreted so resoundingly is, wow! Simply a testament to my lack of clarity and whatever's going on in my noggin I can't even begin retract or redact or reinvent. So I won't.

I am not responding to the other stuff because I haven't read it, except something bleep wrote right after what I wrote after what he wrote the first time. And he's right. Sort of.

EXCEPT that I have been in contact with several people who were completely ignored because they didn't post on popular threads. Not just two. When I got around to my pm box I think I counted 6. Bums me out. That's all. And I'm outta time. Which is rather a chronic thing in my life right now. I miss it, but something's gotta give.
                          xo and peace, people!
                          Edit:* You might be right, I can't remember what you wrote. Not the bac. Just the brain. Still adore you, MurphyXXX. So Nyah.

Comment

Losing my religion

I make the motion to declare that "I agree" is MWO's first meme.
                            Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
                            George Santayana

Comment

Losing my religion

What's a meme?
                              Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                              April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                              wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                              wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                              wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                              wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                              wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                              wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                              http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Losing my religion

It's an objective case of an II

Comment

Working...
                                X