Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bac Rx and pharmacies (US only, I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many of us get our prescriptions from the same places. Turns out the 10mg tablets are significantly less expensive than the 20mg.

It costs less to fill my prescription with 10mg pills than it does to get the 20mg pills with insurance, paying my copay.

I think it works out like this:
    20mgx200=$15 copay or more than US$100 out of pocket
    10mgx400=$11.99 (or close) with the pharmacy 'membership card' ($20/year) out of pocket To be clear: This is the cost without insurance!

It's astounding! I spent 7 months buying the 20mg pills! Even though someone posted about this in January. aaaaaaargh.

Thanks for the info Ne. Sassy Lassy also posted how cheap her bac was if she bought 10mg. We are talking copays here. What would the cost be if you had to get another script that insurance wasn't paying for. Or for all the ones who don't have insurance to begin with. Unfortunately, Walgreens is going to stop using my insurance altogether, so I will have to go elsewhere come January.
    This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

redhead77;1172725 wrote: We are talking copays here. What would the cost be if you had to get another script that insurance wasn't paying for. Or for all the ones who don't have insurance to begin with.

Uh-uh. $11.99 is the cost without insurance
      . I bought the $20 Walgreens membership card. Rite Aid has something similar. And I have gotten the exact same bac at both places and Walmart. Not sure why we're all still sticking with Walgreens...I think it's easiest for the good doc.

(I've amended the original post to reflect the no insurance info, too.)

Comment

I would imagine if copays were cheaper, so would be the actual cost of the drug. I don't want to use Walgreens for my bridge, if I were to get a script for the extra doses I need. I have my reasons. I am very lucky right now. I only pay a $6 dollar copay for 6000mg. They will only pay for me to take 180mg a day, though. It was 160, but the pharmacist called them and negotiated. After this, it is my responsibility. I think for me, it may be better to give the liquid bac thing a go. I'll be careful with it of course.

Comment

We cross posted Ne. No Rite Aids by me, but we do have a Walmart. I wonder about Costco. I was thinking of using Costco as my secondary place to get my script for my bridge doses before I heard about the liquid. I don't know at this point what the best option is.

Comment

I've been getting the El Cheapo bac from Walgreens all year! That $20 membership really pays for itself many times over. The 20mg tabs were CRAZY expensive for me at first, until I found out about the generic club and their cheap pills.

Comment

Hi Serenity!

I've missed you. Wondered how you are. Are you coming to the Chi in October?

Comment

Hi red! I've been reading and quietly lurking for a while. Sorry for being the creepy lurker!

I've been doing well. I went down too quickly after reaching indifference and found myself drinking again, so I had to go back up. I'm currently at 140mg/day. I don't know if it's a good idea for me to go down again anytime soon. I think we all want to go back down quickly after reaching indifference, and in my experience that's a bad idea--the drunk person is always waiting to get back into the picture.

I JUST found out (like, found out today at 6:00pm) that I will be moving at the end of this month. Which is really good news for me, but I'd been honestly planning on going to the reunion (though I was very half-assed in my planning). I know I won't be able to make it at this point. I just don't have the money at this point! I'm sorry.

Comment

Yup. The same thing happened to me. I have not hit the switch yet (again), and I'm on the same dose I was before when it happened. I'm sorry to hear you won't be there Serenity. Good luck on your move. And thanks for another heads up on the Walgreens situation.

Comment

And I didn't even ask you you were doing, red. I'm so rude. :blush:

I know you've struggled some post-switch but *edit* you are on the right track. It really does take a bit of experimentation to find a good place. And I've missed you as well. :l

Comment

Hiya, Sere! Been meaning to email you and ask you if you were going to make it! Where're you going? Somewhere in Virginia, maybe???

I could kick myself repeatedly that it took me, what? 5 months to take your advice and ask for the 10mg pills. It's unreal that they are cheaper, without insurance, than the 20mg pills with insurance. Crazy. Wonder why?

Comment

Hi NE! Not Virginia, sorry! I'm just moving three blocks away from my current house, but the new house is bigger/nicer.

I don't understand why the 10mg are so cheap either compared to the 20mgs. But it's really, really cool that they are! My Bac habit (at 140/day right now) is completely affordable.

Comment

Serenity, I hope you keep us updated on how your drinking and titration goes. You said you're on 140mg now. Is this working or are you going up higher? I'm just curious as I'm in the same boat, and I'm finding that my previous switch dose is not going to be the dose I need now. I would love to hear more about your experience with it.

Comment

Hi Red! I am indeed back up to 140. I went down to 70-80mgs/day but was starting to find myself drinking occasionally, and then boom! drinking on a daily basis again. I went back up to 120, thought I had hit the switch again but then found myself slipping yet again! I went up to 140-150 for a while and--after some time at that dose--regained my indifference. If I try to drink now I can't get past one or two beers. I think that's my sign to stay at 140 for the foreseeable future! I'm not interested in moderating anymore. It's just too much of a slippery slope for me. I think that for so many of us, the monster that still lurks in our brains is always looking for a way back in. It came back to me so easily and that's a scary thing.

I hope you can find your "re-swich" soon, dear Red! This bac ride can be such a rollercoaster. You have so much determination and heart. You've got to be close! :l :h

Comment

Working...
                            X