Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti depressants and alcoholism- a warning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

I really don't have time for this, Otter. Please stop.

After a very cursory search I was surprised to find that the author of that article seems at least semi-legitimate. However his sources are poorly cited and the information is decades old. He also points this out:
    There is one group, however, which seems definitely to benefit from SSRIs. Patients who have both Alcohol Dependence and severe Major Depressive Disorder show significant improvement both in depression and alcohol consumption when treated with SSRIs. In this article we will take a look at the research which has been done on SSRIs and alcohol consumption in these populations.

Are you really willing to risk the health and well being of a large number of alcohol-dependent people who suffer from major depression by posting that SSRIs are bad without qualifying it thoroughly. What are the ramifications? What if one person, who might be profoundly helped by taking an SSRI decided not to take it because you
    said it was dangerous?

Comment

The problem with the depression-anti Ds-alcohol issue is that of chicken and egg. Alcohol is a depressant, many people can be mis-diagnosed as depressed when it's alcohol that is the issue and vice versa. Very difficult group of people to draw any conclusions about.

Yes I was prescribed SSSRIs a long time ago, yes my drinking did increase BUT I know deep down that I had issues with alcohol long before this and that after a period of improvement with the SSSRIs the drinking simply reared it's head and carried on. IE drinking was the real issue not the medication, or even the depression.

I don't know where all this anger is coming from Otter, but it's not doing anyone any favours least of all yourself. Are you actually alright?

Comment

For the official record, I would never take an SSRI. The evidence IS pretty clear that it's harmful for alcoholics, women in particular. That said, I would NEVER start a thread that warned against it as a blanket statement, though I have posted my own personal choices on individual threads. What, after all, if it saves someone's life?

Comment

OK, I am a woman, alcoholic and former drug user. I have taken an SSRI for just over 3 years to treat my depression. I have also been sober for 3 years.
          Once again, Otter seems to be trying to scare people into not trying something that MIGHT just work for them.
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

startingover;1172934 wrote: OK, I am a woman, alcoholic and former drug user. I have taken an SSRI for just over 3 years to treat my depression. I have also been sober for 3 years.
            Once again, Otter seems to be trying to scare people into not trying something that MIGHT just work for them.
            Thanks starting! Very important information in your post. I hope others will chime in. The spread of misinformation is really very dangerous, isn't it?

Comment

Very very worrying Ne. There are so many different ways to get sober, one size will never fit all. I have tried various ways over the years and have finally found a way that suited me.
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I have a weiner between my legs, but I always felt like SSRI's increased my alcohol consumption in my early 20's ( a critical time in a persons life) when I started taking Paxil because I thought I was depressed. I was on some form of SSRI or SNRI from age 21 to age 29 and it's during these years that I spun totally out of control. I'll NEVER take these again. I'm not going to bash anyone who takes these drugs, but I'm pretty certain that for depression, they pretty much don't do shit. Anyone considering and SSRI, or SNRI should read "The Emperors New Drugs" by Irving Kirsch.

Comment

BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

There are people Otter, who really care about people getting sober, I have looked at your website and really there are not many subscribers. I really didn't want to even want to comment here but you are so scarey, really scarey. Go away.

Comment

Ugh

How is your wife otter?

Comment

look what i have found i beleive you otter because i have the same pease look at this link:

Alcohol Cravings Induced via Increased Serotonin - The Depression Forums - A Depression & Mental Health Social Community Support Group

Comment

BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

While there are negative reports on SSRIs in alcoholism, there would also have to be some positive results. If someone was abusing alcohol as a self-medication for depression or anxiety, and if an SSRI helped that person's depression and/or anxiety, then perhaps that in itself could result in them drinking less. Personally I have never benefited from any of the SSRIs, and have had unpleasant stimulant-type side effects from them, but I would still not try to talk anyone else out of giving them a try. Everyone is different, with individual reactions to drugs.

Comment

SSRIs and Alcohol
                              BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

Working...
                              X