Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti depressants and alcoholism- a warning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Since we are reviving a few old threads, I thought I would answer your last post on this one. I do admit there is some evidence linking SSRIs with increased alcohol cravings, and I have also read some anecdotal evidence on other forums about this. Several people claim they have experienced massive cravings to drink due to SSRIs, and Effexor is also mentioned (it acts as an SSRI at low-medium doses anyway from memory).

I'm not trying to restart any debate on this, but I wanted to acknowledge that article you posted a link to. Unfortunately it does not seem to be reachable anymore, but I did read it back when you posted it.

Comment

missyabby1;1173035 wrote: How is your wife otter?
        I missed this. She is great and loves what Baclofen has done for her. What she hates is this forum and people like you which is why she won't post here...ever, so don't hold your breath. She also does not do well with anxiety, the sort you cause, which suggests she does have an anxiety based addiction but in the real world, away from here, no one knows about that and the old adage, about pickles and cucumbers still applies so most people think that the way to deal with an alcoholic in recovery is to abuse them a bit more, just for sport.

So, thanks for the nasty, pointed little barb. I hope you have a good day too.
        BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

I deleted posts here because what I found out about SSRI's and their links with violence and suicide was too upsetting to be published here. Look into Columbine for instance and you will find something really awful about SSRI's. Combine SSRI's with alcohol and guns and watch out.
          BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

Anti depressants don't work so well when we are drinking. The booze neutralises the anti depressant aspect of them often.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

What about the theory that SSRIs deplete seretonin stores over time? We need to use gaba to increase the seretonin so there is something to uptake.

I personally found no help with zoloft and little help with wellbutrin. My cousin on the other hand, has fibromyalgia, and finds zoloft indespensible. Along with other drugs for the condition.

Comment

Bruunhilde, are you saying that if you take an ssri, you should supplement with gaba? I am taking one and finding it very helpful.

Comment

hmmmm. I'll let Bruun answer that from her end, Lila, she knows a lot about supplements.

I'd check that out pretty well before adding gabapentin (if that's what bruun is referring to?) or a serotonin related supplement. (There's a substantial risk of too much serotonin, particularly coupled with an SSRI.) Especially if things are going well for you. (glad to hear it!)

(Wellbutrin is not an SSRI, ftr.)

Comment

Takes alot to tick me off but Otter.... We are here to support one another, share our experience and DO NO HARM. Nursing 101.....DO NO HARM. Your judgement of research to share tells me you are not educated enough to be giving this advice. I too suffer from anxiety. And Otter, you have been the source of it here on the forum. This is getting old. Maybe it is time to take to your own website. What is up with being nasty and deleting it anyway? If you got the balls to say it then dont delete it. Sorry peeps. That was me losing it.

Comment

No, you are quite right to say that. I apologize. I don't know what to say other than I am sorry.
                      BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

I apoligize too. The reason i am so alarmed at this post is because their are many people that are helped and kept stable by ssri......including alcoholiics. I dont want this blanket statement to cause someone to suddenly stop taking them. It is up to the patient and doctor to discuss the risks and benefits of ssri in the alcoholic pt

Comment

Working...
                        X