10,000 Use Baclofen for Alcoholism in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This article which is from the French site Baclofene traitement contre l'alcoolisme says that there are 10,000 patients in France using Baclofen for alcoholism: "Le baclof?ne est un outil contre l'alcoolisme" - L'EXPRESS
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Otter;1177271 wrote: This article which is from the French site Baclofene traitement contre l'alcoolisme says that there are 10,000 patients in France using Baclofen for alcoholism: "Le baclof?ne est un outil contre l'alcoolisme" - L'EXPRESS
    Hello Otter

That's an interesting stat...I wonder how they came up with it.

I doubt a comparable stat (number of patients) is available for the US. The one stat which comes to mind and that might be discoverable is the simple increase in baclofen prescriptions written. Any increase year over year in baclofen prescriptions might be a good proxy for prescriptions written to treat alcoholism, assuming the drug is being prescribed in roughly level amounts for other indications.

The Top 200 prescribed drugs is publicly available but baclofen doesn't seem to be a Top 200 drug. Perhaps someone on this board has access to or can discover the statistics for baclofen.

See: Top 200 Drugs of 2010
    With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

I don't know where the figure comes from but Dr. Ameisen puts it higher. There will be an exponential growth in this. One new doctor prescribing then results in a whole new group of patients who spread their success stories, and so on... except in the UK where that sort of thing doesn't happen lol. There have been about 25 news articles about Baclofen in France over the past couple of months and even on TV news, wow!; here...nada!!!

To all (you know who you are)... deepest apologies for my behaviour. It has been very stressful recently. Again, I am not a health professional or a scientist and I don't intend to post here other than if I find something worth sharing which is from a reliable source. I think that is the best I can do.

Best wishes
      BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Working...
      X