Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr Ameisen: I will no longer post on MWO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am told by a reliable source that there is also a study in Ohio of released prisoners using Baclofen and the results are very favourable. The idea is to use Baclofen to help ex-cons who have offending behaviour related to drinking stay safe and out of trouble. I am going to try to find out more about it. Does anyone else know about it?
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Otter;1181995 wrote: I am told by a reliable source that there is also a study in Ohio of released prisoners using Baclofen and the results are very favourable. The idea is to use Baclofen to help ex-cons who have offending behaviour related to drinking stay safe and out of trouble. I am going to try to find out more about it. Does anyone else know about it?
      Otter I haven't heard of it but would love more info if you are able to find any. I am also interested in more info about the treatment center somewhere (Atlanta maybe?) that Ne has mentioned is working with bac - high dose I believe?

Thanks for anything you find..

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Otter;1181986 wrote: It is very exciting. And prescriptions here are free. Pinch me.
        Pinch! 'cos no they ain't. ?7.40.

EDIT: my mistake the jocks do get 'em free. It's just in England we still get charged.

Soz, Otter.

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

help4me;1181984 wrote: My frustration with Baclofen, which is shared by Dr. Oliver Ameisen, is that because Baclofen is an off patent medication there is no profit motive for drug companies to support clinical trials that would demonstrate its efficacy in treating addiction.

THIS has to be the most frustrating part for me. I am a perfect example of how this drug DOES work if taken properly and consistantly. Anyone can do this, it is just frustrating that it almost always has to be done on one's own, with self medication (especially if the patient requires the higher does to hit their switch). I switched to indifference (twice...trial & error people!) at 275mg.
          This is equally frustrating here in Australia, and the huge doses of baclofen usually needed for alcohol dependence treatment (compared to doses normally used for muscle relaxation) make it way harder to find doctors willing to go ahead with it at the moment. An addiction doctor I talk to said that this dosage issue scares him way more than just the fact that it's an off-label use. I'm not a high dose bac user myself, but am trying to help two of my friends who are drinking themselves to death, and online ordering remains the only practical solution unless we find a doctor willing to prescribe up into the hundreds of milligrams.

Comment

D.I F.,

I never get on and do this but I felt the urge tonight. "Amurrica" is a slang term defined by the way president George W. Bush pronounced our country.
            "George W. Bush is the President of Amurrica."
            But his brother was the governor of your state at the time so I am not surprised you have not heard of the term or simply choose to ignore it.

LL
            The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

DrunkAndTiredInFLA;1181985 wrote:
              As for Red purposely misspelling America.... If what you say is true, she is a bigger ass than I thought she was. Either way, GROW UP PEOPLE!
              I have a few labels I could give you D&T. One would be the label you gave me, and I have other choice ones as well. I would never stoop so low as to do so. I'll leave the nastiness to you.

You started a thread in which you said you were going to quit bac. You then went on to state you had a cough due to bac and "choking" when you woke up. You posted a study to back up your claims that bac caused this coughing. It was explained to you, that the study does not show that bac causes coughing, but the opposite. You had a difficult time grasping this information. When it was explained to you ad nauseum (some people spent a lot of time and effort on you), the real reason bac causes a cough, which would also explain the reason you were waking up with a choking feeling, you still couldn't seem to grasp it. Since you are here and I know you can read, I have wonder if you really fit one of my choice adjectives. Or if you are being blatantly dismissive and purposefully antagonistic, in your responses to the ones who have spent too much time explaining it to you.

We in Amurrica (and probably other places too) have a saying. One shouldn't cut off their nose to spite their face. Look it up if you don't know what it means. Oh wait...
              This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Red,
                In Amurrica I kinda like "shit or get off the pot" better.

:l
                The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

Comment

LOL Lush, spot on re the Florida thang. :goodjob: (D&T, "thang" was spelled that way on purpose, just FYI)

gratitude;1181992 wrote: drunkandtired,
                  perhaps you need a nappy? calling someone an ass, correcting their spelling in a joke you don't understand, and telling "people" to grow up? interesting.
                  Grat, ROTFLMAO. That "nappy" could be translated as "diaper" makes it even funnier than a "nap" so I'll choose the former interpretation for D&T's use. Obviously someone needs a cleaning.

Comment

I never would've guessed "Amurrrica" would be so offensive to someone :H Only to an American...
                    Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
                    George Santayana

Comment

I assumed she was being ironic. Surely one American couldn't possibly think another American would misspell the word so badly. After all, only a complete dick-wit would think such a thing and there are none of those around here...oh, hang on a minute!

Comment

redhead77;1182249 wrote:

We in Amurrica (and probably other places too) have a saying. One shouldn't cut of their nose to spite their face. Look it up if you don't know what it means. Oh wait...

We in Ostraya believe the saying is "One shouldn't cut off
                        their nose ..."

Comment

Cheers Tawny,

We really hijacked this thread didn't we?

Dr. A has to be amused!

LL:l

Comment

tawnyfrog;1182543 wrote: We in Ostraya believe the saying is "One shouldn't cut off their nose ..."
                            Sorry, but wtf was the point of your post? To point out that someone wrote of instead of off? Was that it? Wow, thanks so much. It really is worth taking the piss out of someone for a minor typo isn't it? Good job!

What the fuck is wrong with some of the people on this forum? Do you really have nothing better to do?

I'm just about done with you lot.

Comment

Murph, lighten up, you need a shaggin'. Pull out that fantasy of Lush and Red with the twigs and be good to yourself. I'll talk to your Mrs and see if she'll arrange a little R&R for ya. In fact, I could use some too, hook me up.
                              :loveyou:

Comment

Ditto baby-
                                I missed something!

Comment

Working...
                                X