Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoga practice increases the activity of the GABA receptors by up to 27%.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoga Asana sessions increase brain G... [J Altern Complement Med. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

These findings demonstrate that in experienced yoga practitioners, brain GABA levels increase after a session of yoga. This suggests that the practice of yoga should be explored as a treatment for disorders with low GABA levels such as depression and anxiety disorders. Future studies should compare yoga to other forms of exercise to help determine whether yoga or exercise alone can alter GABA levels.Could this be used with bac to help in this fight ?have a friend who is interested in doing this ? any thoughts appreciated

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Evolutionary Psychiatry: Yoga (ba) GABA

Also this study any thoughts.

Comment

Absolutely. There have been some studies which show that mindful mediation works on the amygdala: http://www.optimistica.com/documents...ss_Science.pdf

Not unsurprisingly this is the same part of the brain upon which Baclofen works and it is an analogue of Gaba B. So, maybe it is possible to use Yoga and mindful meditation to get the same effects as Baclofen!?? It would seem that calming this part of the brain, by increasing Gaba B is central to the anxiety which some are saying underlies addiction for many.
      BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Hey Mario,

Thanks. I have a friend who swears she gets "high" from yoga, and she says it's "addicting"... interesting, huh.

I went one time in San Francisco, and it felt like they were breaking my parts off one by one. I was in excellent shape then, so it scared me off. It didn't even feel like a decent workout, it was a cold hard floor and nothing felt good. I must have had a bad teacher, based on all the studies and my friend's experience.

I need to try it again but I'm intimidated if you can believe that.

Comment

Mario, there is some really good information around here about meditation/yoga and the mind, including some very cool research.
          Search Redthread(something). I can't remember the number behind her name. She has a thread where she details some of it, but she also has information smattered all over the place. There is a VERY cool monk who is known as the happiest guy in the universe or something. (I'm being flippant.) He's got MRIs to prove how happy he is. It's very funny and profound.
          Hugs to you, Mario.

Comment

Yoga, meditation etc were promoted at a treatment centre I stayed in a few years ago.

Comment

Thanks all :-)

Comment

The only thing that my husband found in anyway helpful to relax him when he was trying to get sober before baclofen was yoga. He did it weekly over the summer in 2010 and those were the only times I saw him sober and not unbearable to be around. Every other day I was with him when he wasn't drinking he was short tempered and could be extremely nasty. He tried numerous other relaxation techniques on other nights, running, acupuncture, counselling etc but on the nights he did those he either went drinking afterwards or was tense and horrible. On yoga nights he was nice and calm and normal, like he has been since the baclofen started working.

I've since taken up yoga and I find myself completely blissed out after a practise. It definitely feels like a really nice high, though more like pipe smoked grass than alcohol if I was to compare it. I also find that it completely eliminates muscle tension for days after a session, which makes sense as GABA regulates muscle tension in humans and is why baclofen was originally developed as a muscle relaxant.

Comment

Increasing GABA might temporarily alleviate the problem, but receptor upregulation will actually resolve it; therein lays the rub. Diminishing receptor sensitivity with more GABA ligands or flooding the receptors will probably make it harder to recover; we already know certain GABAergic substances like Phenibut, Benzodiazepenes, and alcohol cause tolerance; so the short term benefit is outweighed by the long term risks. I might investigate the AMPAkines, and if things get really bad the tranylcypromine might be worth consideration too.
                  Yoga : In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they are not
                  garden decor : Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

Comment

Bruunhilde;1182469 wrote:
                    I went one time in San Francisco, and it felt like they were breaking my parts off one by one. I was in excellent shape then, so it scared me off. It didn't even feel like a decent workout, it was a cold hard floor and nothing felt good. I must have had a bad teacher, based on all the studies and my friend's experience.

I need to try it again but I'm intimidated if you can believe that.
                    You might want to give hot yoga a try, Bruun. I absolutely loved it. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd go a couple times a week. Maybe I'll see if there is a studio somewhere close by. Before I moved, there was a great little studio right down the street. After a 90 minute class, I'd be completely blissed out for the rest of the day. I felt so in tune with my body, I'd only want to put good things into it - light, healthy food, lots of water, and absolutely no alcohol! Come to think of it, HDB kinda makes me feel the same way, to a lesser extent.

The heat of the room makes it so much easier to get a good stretch and get deeper into the poses. You absolutely will sweat your ass off (they had to mop up the floor after each class!), but after a few minutes, you really don't even notice it anymore.
                    Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
                    ~Clutch

Comment

Thanks for the rec, Is.

Comment

I took my first yoga class in 1978 - before many of you were born!! I've pretty much seen the whole "wave." I'm both thrilled that it's available and people are getting benefits, and discouraged to see that you can take a six-week course and call yourself a yoga teacher. It really is important to find a teacher and a class that suits you and your own sense of well-being. You can find a list of teachers in your area that meet a training standard here: Home | Yoga Alliance

Not at all that every good teacher needs to be certified, but it might be a starting place. I took classes for years that helped in some ways but also kept me re-injuring fundamental imbalances in my own body. Then I found the right teacher and the right class and was taught how to correct all of that. And I was taught the entire 8 limbs of yoga, not just asana (physical postures). Part of the first limb of yoga is "no intoxicants."

So I quit everything for 10 years and had no clue that I have the brain chemistry of a "drink 'til you die" alcoholic. A traumatic experience knocked me off my practices and into a bottle of wine. Baclofen saved me from that. Yoga and meditation give me extraordinary health. I've had painters around my house for a week and we've become friendly. One of them asked me my age. I told him to guess. He looked at me a few moments and said, "43, 44?" Of course, he was trying to be nice, but I'm 55!!

I have lots of opinions (and experiences) about the different styles and approaches to yoga. I'm happy to share them if anyone wants to PM me. :H:H It really is worth the time and the money if you find the right class. I used to drive 45 minutes each way several times a week to get what I needed, and I'm so grateful I did!
                        "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

So - more to the point of your inquiry, Mario, my experience tells me that, "yes" yoga has tremendous benefit for balancing brain chemistry. I haven't kept up with the studies, but am a member the International Association of Yoga Therapists: Welcome to the International Association of Yoga Therapists that formed in order to generate scientific validation for its benefits. There is a literal explosion of scientific evidence for the benefits of yoga and meditation, and their ability to "re-wire" the brain, with more coming every day.
                          "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Hey RT, I purchased the CDs by that guy, omg, can't recall and the discs are in the car, about starting meditation. Which reminds me of the two requirements of this Saturday, wash the dog and the car, leaving to do so right now! Will try to check out the name of the guy with the CD's, I've listened to two of three so far. I think you recommended and also NE tried it too.

Fill me with peace, fill me with bountiful kindness and health. And to all of you too.

Comment

Working...
                            X