Latest gabapentin experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where, just where in the world, other than MWO, can one get such priceless information in such a priceless way?

I know nothing about gabapentin, and am not interested at the moment. But who knows what will happen next? This story by-passes my mind and goes right to experience; so I trust that if I ever need this information it is with me. Thanks, LoOp. Worthwhile tale.
    "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Ahem...

:kudos:
      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
      :what?:
      sigpic
      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
      A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

Suneel, thanks for the post. I'm on both, and find both help my anxiety but not necessarily my drinking moderation/abstinence.

I do find gabapentin lifts me out of the dregs of depression when absolutely needed, but I take it haphazardly which may not be ideal but I also take big doses at once to deliver me from the occasionally untenable emotional hell (as in abnormal/unable to manage life) and it totally works, only in huge doses tho -1200mg once. So I try to abstain from it except for 300mg once or twice a day unless sh*t is going on in my head/life and I need it.

I have to say today I had a painful laser treatment (a routine for my rosacea) and thanks to either/both 10mg baclofen and 300mg gabapentin, I handled it much better. My body didn't seize up and clench with every zap, I was able to control it with my mind for once. Wow.

Loop, never did have a problem/benefit from high dose - that 1200 didn't do a thing for me (I had hoped it would secretly) but going higher isn't something I'm tempted to do. Thankfully.

Cheers kids, have a good night.

Comment

I was feeling deciidedly down yesterday, so after reading this post I thought I'd try a couple of gabapentins. 600mg later, nothing!

The very first time I tried it, I got lifted. However the last couple of times, its had little, if no effect on me.
          Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

This rapid tolerance is a really annoying thing about gabapentin, which I have found also happens to me. Another problem I have had is that I seem to get a withdrawal type of feeling about 16 hours or so after taking it, any time I try to take a large single dose of it (i.e. 600 mg or more). I have heard a lot of other tales of the rapid tolerance, but not of any "withdrawals" after only taking one or two doses, so this must be some sort of individual after-effect with me.

I have read that people react very differently to each other with gabapentin, and unfortunately I seem to be one of those who is unable to get much sustained benefit from single doses taken as needed. It does help me sleep however, if I only take it occasionally. Even 200-300 mg helps me this way, but I imagine I would quickly need larger and larger amounts if I tried using it as a sleep drug every night.

I may still do a few more tests later on with it, to see if it can reduce anxiety when taken regularly, but since I will likely be taking baclofen for a long time I may not need the gabapentin for anxiety.

Edit: I have not tried gabapentin as it is supposed to be taken, namely regularly and not more than 12 hours between doses, so please don't be discouraged from trying it based on what I have just said. I was strictly talking about experiments I have done with single large doses, not regular use as recommended. It could indeed help when taken regularly, and tolerance can't happen to all its effects, otherwise it couldn't be used successfully long-term for epilepsy or neuropathic pain.

Comment

I've taken it both ways, low doses PRN, and high doses in emergencies. Yesterday I had two 300mg doses. Just when I start feeling like I'm going down the hole of depression, I take it and it lifts me enough. I do get tolerance I think - in that I don't get high but I did the second time I took it. When I'm really in trouble, I take 600mg and it doesn't always help, but another 600mg an hour later does it perfectly. I realize these are super high doses but desperate times call for desperate measures. I have only done that once in the four months on gabapentin low dose PRN.

Thus, I still consider it a life saver for me.

Comment

Gabapentin Information

Gabapentin

Comment

Working...
                X