Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen honeymoon

Hello all

I have been taking Baclofen for a number of weeks, and am now up to 190mg. I found that all the way up to 150mg I was not indifferent, but that I was able to virtually not drink at all. Since then however, I have been drinking a lot more, but not at my previous levels. Has anyone else experienced this, and did they still reach the switch eventually?

Thanks

Baclofen honeymoon

My drinking was all over the place until I reached indifference, and even for a while afterwards. Eventually it settled down though.

How fast have you been going up?

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

Mine fluctuated, too. For the first week I drank less, and then it went up back to normal levels. I was actually probably drinking the most right before I switched.
      Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
      George Santayana

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

Does baclofen help with the cravings? Im new to the site and wany to be AF in 1 week. b/c of my medical profession, Ive pretty much have done it myself. I have benzo's, thamin, and other medical mucsle relaxers like Flexeraril. Thank you in advance for any help. My down part is 1/4 cup per day until none. IM at 1 cup which is 8 oxs total each day. Tomorrow will be 3/4 cup of wine. Does the baclofen help? Thank u in advance 4 your help, best of luck to all!

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

Hiya, Nutshell!
          Yep, I had a similar experience re. my drinking. Up and down and all around. I really wish I hadn't! But there it is. I never thought of it as a honeymoon. I simply figured I wasn't there yet, and I wasn't. I think a lot of people feel some cessation of craving/drinking around 140mg. Was that your experience? Bac is weird like that. One member (Lowcountryman) told us that many of the patients his psychiatrist was treating with bac got to 140mg and stayed there, happy to just be able to drink less. That wasn't my experience, I don't think. I still wanted to drink, so I went up until I didn't want to anymore. And now I don't!

lovemygirls, :welcome: and yes, the purpose of baclofen is to control/eliminate craving. It sounds as though you've got quite a bit going on there in terms of meds. It also sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do! I'd encourage you to read around here, starting with some of the links that can be found on the Consolidated Baclofen Thread. There is a ton of info there about the research, the contraindications of taking bac with other meds, and people's pertinent experiences related to side effects, etc...

Hang in there to you both!

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

bleep;1194131 wrote: My drinking was all over the place until I reached indifference, and even for a while afterwards. Eventually it settled down though.

How fast have you been going up?
            I started with 30mg in the early afternoon. After that, I increased that one afternoon dose by 10mg every three days. When I reached around 80mg I started to feel really fuzzy in the head, and felt like I couldn't function as well, so I changed to three doses - one at 06:00, one at 12:00, and one a 18:00. I did this up until 180mg. Recently, I ordered some 25mg pills (was using 10mg pills before. don't know why I didn't do this earlier), so that I don't have to take a load of individuals with every dose. I am now on my first day of taking 200mg, split into four doses (every four hours).

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

SlipperyPete;1194183 wrote: Mine fluctuated, too. For the first week I drank less, and then it went up back to normal levels. I was actually probably drinking the most right before I switched.
              It's good to hear that other people have had similar experiences.

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

lovemygirls;1194193 wrote: Does baclofen help with the cravings? Im new to the site and wany to be AF in 1 week. b/c of my medical profession, Ive pretty much have done it myself. I have benzo's, thamin, and other medical mucsle relaxers like Flexeraril. Thank you in advance for any help. My down part is 1/4 cup per day until none. IM at 1 cup which is 8 oxs total each day. Tomorrow will be 3/4 cup of wine. Does the baclofen help? Thank u in advance 4 your help, best of luck to all!
                I don't know if alcohol does help with the cravings. I do know that I was alcohol-free all the way up to 150mg. I wouldn't say I was indifferent, but I would say that it felt more like I just felt that I didn't want to drink. I also wouldn't describe myself as someone who has cravings. If I was in a situation where I wasn't able to drink (eg. had to drive later in the day, or had to go to work), I would find it easy to forget about drinking. I would describe myself more as the person who would start the day thinking that they're not going to drink, and then end up buying some beer on the way home. I am probably fortunate that I am fairly young and that I haven't been drinking for as long as some others have.

I am sorry that I can't help you with the other drugs, because they are things that I have never taken, but I do hope that Baclofen will work for you, because as we have seen from the other threads in this forum, it works for many others.

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

Ne/Neva Eva;1194415 wrote: Hiya, Nutshell!
                  Yep, I had a similar experience re. my drinking. Up and down and all around. I really wish I hadn't! But there it is. I never thought of it as a honeymoon. I simply figured I wasn't there yet, and I wasn't. I think a lot of people feel some cessation of craving/drinking around 140mg. Was that your experience? Bac is weird like that. One member (Lowcountryman) told us that many of the patients his psychiatrist was treating with bac got to 140mg and stayed there, happy to just be able to drink less. That wasn't my experience, I don't think. I still wanted to drink, so I went up until I didn't want to anymore. And now I don't!

lovemygirls, :welcome: and yes, the purpose of baclofen is to control/eliminate craving. It sounds as though you've got quite a bit going on there in terms of meds. It also sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do! I'd encourage you to read around here, starting with some of the links that can be found on the Consolidated Baclofen Thread. There is a ton of info there about the research, the contraindications of taking bac with other meds, and people's pertinent experiences related to side effects, etc...

Hang in there to you both!
                  Thanks for the reply, Neva.

As you can see from my previous post, I have not found there to be a sudden desire to stop drinking whilst at a higher doseage. I think that I, like you, have been able to stop drinking, but did not feel as though I didn't care about drinking. The feeling that I am looking for is the way that I currently feel about cakes. I know I like the taste of cakes, and that I could easily eat them if I had to. With cakes though, they are not terribly important to me, and I happily say no thanks to them when they are offered to me. I logically consider that cakes will make me fat, have little nutritional value, and as a result of this consideration I find it incredibly easy to not want cakes.

This is the way that I would like to feel about booze.

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

I feel that way about booze. I just wish I felt that way about cakes!

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

Well.

250mg, and still no indifference. Just feel really tired in the evenings.

One plus side is that if I take the last dose of Baclofen right before bed, I have some really enjoyable dreams.

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

I feel that way about booze. I just wish I felt that way about cakes!

haha you are funny ne

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

walnut, my drinking went a bit haywire right before i switched. i think it's pretty common for it to be all over the place until indifference. maybe it was pony or bleep who said that it's like the 'last kicks of a dying horse' when our drinking spikes right before we stop. i've got my fingers crossed that that's the case with you. anyway, drinks and cakes are overrated. good luck to you.

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

Thanks, Rudy. Out of interest, how high did you have to go?

Comment

Baclofen honeymoon

Bumpity ump.

How are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X