Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xanax (alprazolam) information

Great article!
    I take Xanax PRN and it has been a life saver, especially the first days and weeks of AF. Just knowing it's there if I freak out. It helps me to sleep and I have no desire to drink at all. (I am on topa and supps too).
    As far as tapering off, benzos are one of the only drugs in which withdrawal can cause death. So tapering slowly is important if you are on a high dose especially.
    I think rehabs can do it quicker than we would do it at home because they have protocols and emergency meds, medical staff, etc.
    Good thread.
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Nursie;1196982 wrote: It helps me to sleep and I have no desire to drink at all. (I am on topa and supps too).
      Believe it or not, taking 1.5 mg Xanax at night and 0.5 during the day as part of a test resulted in me being totally indifferent to both alcohol and marijuana! The only reason I couldn't do that every day was a fear of tolerance, and therefore a possible need to gradually increase the dose until I was taking huge amounts. I have thought of maybe rotating the Xanax with baclofen+Campral, or even something else sedating like carbamazepine (Tegretol), under a doctor's supervision to try and gain indifference without too much tolerance and without disturbing side effects from high-dose baclofen. I have no idea if this would actually work, but am going to see if the doctor will approve a trial for a month or so, maybe a week on Xanax, then taper it down while spending a week on something else. Whether these medications cause tolerance to each other is unknown, but if they do, the idea would not work.

Anyhow, if I do this test I'll post my results, whether it works or not.

Comment

Greg, I'll be very interested to hear about your experiment if your doctor agrees to it.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Beatle, nice to see you again! Welcome back! As usual, you bring a great discussion to the table.

I went fairly quickly off xanax when I was going to 60-80mg/baclofen. Didn't need it to sleep or for anxiety. I basically replaced the calming effects of one with the other, although I tapered off one and titrated up on the other at the same time, so mitigating any detox issues from going off xanax. At one point, to sleep, I would take 2-4mg xanax during the night, first to sleep, second around 2am to get back to sleep. Tolerance was an issue but I never got "high" from xanax at all. No craving for it at all, I'd forget to take it and wonder why I couldn't sleep. Thus I understand that bac helped me sleep at some doses and also to help me reduce the xanax.

Interesting experience, Serenity (nice to see you too!), about the "high" and the withdrawal (so sorry, sounds just awful!).

I'm beginning to see all of our differences, whether diet or alcohol or drug related, as part of our individual paths. The theory that we're all here to learn different lessons that we personally need to learn, and the way we have to learn that lesson is tailored to just us, proves to me that we are not just another leaf on the tree, although perhaps each leaf is its own story too - some fall, some curl, some stay forever on the branch despite it all.

Comment

Yep, Bruun. It's fascinating how different our experiences are. Weird, but fascinating.

Deleted because of troll

Comment

Working...
            X