Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to stay on Topamax?

:new:

I'm sure this questions has been asked a million times and a million ways......I'm prescribed Topamax by my doctor, but a bit of a tricky one as he doesn't speak any English (I live in a foreign country), and he doesn't really understand why he's prescribing the medication (though I've tried to explain), so I'm just following the program from the book.....

So here's my question--I've heard of people staying on Topamax much longer than the 12 weeks as stated in the book, and I feel like maybe i should stay on it for longer....Is there any point you know you're "ready" to go off of it? Any words of wisdom?

Also, has anyone found any way to combat the weight loss? It's been pretty severe for me, and aside from pounding hamburgers, I'm running out of options! Any vitamins or food concoctions anyone knows of? I'll do anything, can't stand to lose any more weight (my husband has literally been driving us to McDonalds three times a week...)

Desperation sits in quickly when there's no one around who speaks English. Any and all advice would be so helpful..

Kind Regards-
    Mary.

How long to stay on Topamax?

Hi Mary - I have been on Topa for a long time - I started it in the December and stopped AL for 8 months with it, then came off it...... and started drinking again. I don't drink a lot - but do drink daily - most days just 2 drinks, some days 4. But I did go on it again, starting at 25 mg again. I haven't got up to the level I was at when I stopped AL but need to get there. Keep forgetting to take my 2nd dose. So, it is really a personal thing as for how long you take it. I plan on taking it for a while!!

re the weight loss - yes, I too had that but my weight stabilized. I DO have the All-One everyday and can tell when I don't have it. I get the green phyto one and have it EVERY day. It has all the stuff I need in it and I feel really good, so know I am getting the vits and minerals I need. I also eat healthily the rest of the time. I have always been slim anyway and I do not want to lose any more weight so do keep an eye on it - instead of Macdonalds, try eating nuts - they are high in calories but good for you!!

feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Wishing you all the best,

Sun X
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Working...
    X