Detox with Baclofen and Naltrexone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this link which relates to a detox with Baclofen and Naltrexone. I have never heard of the other medications. We know that Bac can be used while drinking and it stops craving.

Dr Neil Beck's Alcohol Home Detox and Relapse Prevention Program for Alcoholics- Low Dose Naltrexone

IMHO this is an important idea because it it works then it can be used at home to bring someone out of a bad situation safely. What are the other medications?
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Otter;1201506 wrote: I found this link which relates to a detox with Baclofen and Naltrexone. I have never heard of the other medications. We know that Bac can be used while drinking and it stops craving.

Dr Neil Beck's Alcohol Home Detox and Relapse Prevention Program for Alcoholics- Low Dose Naltrexone

IMHO this is an important idea because it it works then it can be used at home to bring someone out of a bad situation safely. What are the other medications?

If you are talking about (from the link):

"Did You Know...

That You Can Arrest Your Craving For and Drinking of Too Much Alcohol At Any Time, with Just 8 Naltrexone Tablets Dissolved in Water, Taken In Conjunction with 50 Baclofen, 50 Valium and 10 Escitalopram Tablets*?
    "

Do you mean Valium and Escitalopram?

Valium (diazepam) is of course a long-acting benzodiazapine (Like Librium, but not as long-acting).

Escitalopram (marketed as Lexapro in the US) is an SSRI and the therapeutically active stereoisomer of the older SSRI drug Citalopram (Celexa), which has been mentioned in this forum as having the potential to negate baclofen's anticraving action see: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...sal-43035.html

When I first followed the link to the site, I was a bit incredulous - taking those 118 pills all at once would certainly arrest your craving for alcohol by arresting your ability to live and breath...Then I realized that maybe it was just worded and laid out poorly. Apparently the pills are to be spread out over 2 weeks? That would put your maximum daily Baclofen dose at 90mg/day and would give you some anti-convulsive protection (against seizures) with the valium (although the dosage isn't mentioned). I don't know how they can get away with selling valium (a controlled substance) online. The site vaguely mentions Australia, but quotes the price for evaluated it's "self-checklist" in US Dollars, as in $65USD. And some of the links don't work, like the one for the book(s) or the ebook(s) "Beating Alcohol," etc....

-tk
    TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

I meant I had never heard of Escitalopram.

I think it is someone who has picked up on the way in which Baclofen can be used to come off alcohol.
      BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Thanks Otter.

I agree the site is poorly worded in some ways, such as talking about Alcohol Receptors, but it's probably also been written in a simple way so alcoholics can quickly understand what it's about. As for ordering Valium online, yes there could be problems buying a controlled drug like that online. Here in Australia, the laws on benzodiazepines are just as strict as elsewhere, and so are customs officials, so I don't think the site could get around it just by being based in Australia.

Although I'd personally be wary of ordering from the site, I have to say that a precise, immediate, and comprehensive treatment plan like they propose, including several medications right from the start, could make things easier for desperate drunks who cannot last long without alcohol after just doing a conventional detox. For many alcoholics, comprehensive treatment may also not be available in their local communities. As an example, in the smallish rural city where I live (population 25,000), no doctor will start an alcoholic on a combination of medications to help them. If you don't need immediate inpatient detox, the most they will do is refer you to the local community drug and alcohol counselors, who may take weeks/months to see and who cannot prescribe medications. The counselors will then line you up with another doctor, or refer you to inpatient detox, but the general rule is you get no ongoing anti-craving medications unless you strongly ask for something. All you will usually get is a 5 day course of Valium for the acute detox phase, followed by seeing a counselor again for talk-based therapy and maybe a list of local AA meetings to attend.

I'm not quite sure why the site mentions escitalopram as part of their protocol, but I guess they hope it will start working within a few weeks to help alcoholics with depression and possibly anxiety. If it does reduce baclofen's benefits then it would seem not such a good idea.

The site's idea about adjusting the naltrexone and baclofen according to an individual's ability to tolerate them seems logical and sensible.

(P.S. I wonder how bupropion/Wellbutrin and maybe Campral would go if they were added to the protocol...also possibly mirtazapine/Remeron instead of escitalopram??)

Comment

I like the idea of dissolving the naltrexone in water in order to be able to go up gradually. Think this would work and not compromise the integrity of the nal? And, yeah, the site's kinda sketch.
          "Yet someday this will have an end
          All choices made or choice resigned,
          And in your face the literal eye
          Trace little of your history,
          Nor ever piece the tale entire
          Of villages that had to burn
          And playgrounds of the will destroyed
          Before you could be safe from time
          And gather in your brow and air
          The stillness of antiquity."

From "At Majority" by Adrienne Rich

Comment

windycitylady;1226472 wrote: I like the idea of dissolving the naltrexone in water in order to be able to go up gradually. Think this would work and not compromise the integrity of the nal? And, yeah, the site's kinda sketch.
            I think this should work, as naltrexone is not made in any special way (such as slow-release) as far as I know. It is also stated as being water soluble, to the extent of around 100 mg per 1 mL of water, so there should be no problem with it dissolving properly if given some time. This was one of the ideas I liked on the site too, as it would allow someone to carefully increase their dose while getting used to any side effects.

Comment

Working...
            X