Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies and Lurkers--How to...

Hi, all!

It's been a while since we had an informational and invitational thread for those on the outside looking in!

I think we can all relate to how difficult that first post is and how intimidating this place can be. (I spent months fairly convinced that you all were going to show up as a virus on my ancient PC and wipe out my bank account--the one with $3.63 in it. I set up so many anti-viral whatevers that I crashed the computer. I kid you not. Anyway...enough about me. )

There are two good ways to get started, as far as I can tell. You can start a thread. This does not need to be profound, heartfelt and entirely personal. It also does not need to be something you stick with until you get to the other side. Just a "Hey! I'm here! And I want some info!" will do. It can also be a profound, heartfelt, endlessly long post. (I personally like and relate well to those! :H)

The other way is to pop onto another thread. Many of us bac(k) in the day would pop onto the Consolidated Baclofen Thread. The link is in my signature. (That's a good place to start for info related to bac, in general.) But any thread will do ya'. We'll notice and say hi.

There's a third way, of course! You can PM someone who you connect with. (Yep, we all lurked. We all felt like voyeurs for a while because we got to know someone through their posts. It's the nature of the game. Thank all that matters for anonymous internet connections. It saved my life and got me through the dark times.)

:l and strength to those of you in the grips of the beast. Those days are numbered and you can and will get to the other side. (And you won't miss the obsession for a minute. I promise.)

Anyone else have suggestions as to how to navigate MWO? Search etc...

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1208908 wrote: Anyone else have suggestions as to how to navigate MWO? Search etc...
      Most excellent post Eva!

I would just suggest for newbs to walk right in, start pushing buttons, turning knobs, and just experiment with all the features.

As helpful as people around here, all one wold have to do is ask if they need help navigating or getting started.

Like she said, jump on in, the waters fine! :welcome:
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Great post, Eva! Just one thing I will add...

The people on that you will encounter on this forum are some of the most caring people I have ever come across! Don't be afraid to PM someone, as you will inevitable find someone who will help you through this. If they don't help you (sometimes life gets in the way), find someone else! As a (fairly) newbie, I can say that this forum has been essential to my recovery with baclofen (dosage, good and bad bac,doctors that prescribe).

You are already so brave for getting this far... Go the distance and rely on the awesomeness that abounds on MWO!!!
        Hit "the switch" at 190 mg/day on 11/10/11... Thanks to Dr. A, Dr. L, and all that have supported my journey on MWO!!:guitar1:

Comment

Great thread eva, you are such an inspiration and support , the thing I want to say is dont worry just jump in, I was (and still am) scared that no one would like me and I would get ignored, but there are lots of lovely warm friendly people on here who want to help, and also have lots of knowledge and experience to share

Comment

Alrighty. So the search function is pretty lousy on this site. It helps to use advance search and be general and specific at the same time. One of the things that confounded me in the beginning was the 'post' vs. 'thread' thing.

If you are looking for a thread with "Side Effects" in the title, make sure you hit the thread button AND the 'in the title button'. If you don't do this, you will come up with every post with the words "Side" and "Effects" in it. Very annoying.

I also utilized the clicking on the name thing. If you click on someone's name (or find them in the user list and do it from there) you will find the option to do two things that I did rather obsessively. You can send them a Private Message (a PM.) Or you can read all of their posts. This is a nice little feature I still use in order to figure out where someone is coming from. In the beginning, though, I used it to figure out who had done what and why. I wanted to know what worked, what didn't and most importantly, what I could learn from other people's successes and failures.

I also used it a lot because I was really, really scared. I was absolutely convinced that this site and the people that populated it were 1.) Here for the sole purpose of selling me something I didn't need. 2.) Computerized automatons here for the sole purpose of taking something from me. I had very little, but this did not change my fear of this. (I set up so many virus protection thingies on my computer that I crashed it. Really.) 3.) Even after I became a bit more comfortable that these things were not actually true, I thought you people were completely nuts. I wasn't far wrong.

That's what I've got for today! Happy hunting!

Comment

Don't use the MWO search feature, it's worse than hopeless. Search in Google, but include "mywayout" in the search. You are much more likely to find a relevant post.

Comment

bleep;1221371 wrote: Don't use the MWO search feature, it's worse than hopeless. Search in Google, but include "mywayout" in the search. You are much more likely to find a relevant post.
                bleep is spot on here... just do a search on "baclofen" and something from MWO will pop up in google. It's great.

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1221301 wrote: I thought you people were completely nuts. I wasn't far wrong.
                  Just 180 degrees
                  With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Thanks for Pointing to THE POINT

Thanks, Ne, for once again getting to THE POINT.

Yes, you can go and do go on at times, which I love but don't always read :disco: - I know, totally out of context icon, but I've NEVER used it before and just had an irresistable urge (maybe I need to up my bac!).

Yet, once again, in your so admirable and intrepid manner, you've pinned the tail to the umm, critical issue. I had the great honor of a personal phone call with someone on the board who totally inspired me. After addressing current issues, we reviewed our stories for each other, and probably for ourselves.

We both count ourselves as 2 DEAD PEOPLE if we had not found this forum and baclofen. Recounting our shared suicidal, fully dysfunctional, drinking ourselves to death selves back in '09 makes me appreciate threads like this SO MUCH!!

I was so un-freaking-believably blessed to get in on the early days, getting to read almost everything posted about baclofen since '09. Even after ordering it online and taking it until alcohol no longer had me in its clutches, continuing to read everyone's input continues to help me . . . incredibly. Kept me out of the emergency room, among other helpful little hints :H

So YES, you too, lurkers in the bleachers and nose-bleed seats, YOU can get well.

Obviously, in this section of this forum, you're going to read a lot about baclofen. I'm totally convinced, along, w/so many others . . . it absolutely works. Other things work, as well. Not as well as bac, IMHO, having done it other ways, as well. But that truly is just my . . . well, my experience, upon which I base my opinion.

:thanks: , Ne, for keeping the banner un-furled, walking alongside those struggling along, running to the end of the line to find those falling away, and just generally being your passionate self.

JKTTDP!!! If you're a newbie or a lurker, and you don't know what that means, you've got some life-saving reading to look forward to.

Onward!!!
                    "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Cassander;1221415 wrote: Just 180 degrees
                      Yep!

RedThread12;1221465 wrote:

Yes, you can go and do go on at times, which I love but don't always read :disco: -
                      JKTTDP!!! If you're a newbie or a lurker, and you don't know what that means, you've got some life-saving reading to look forward to.

Onward!!!
                      OMG. I can't read all those damn words myself! That used to be my favorite emoti! woop!

Next on my list is the PM thing. It was a really important part, for me, of getting started around here. We all love 'em. (You know you do! Admit it!)

They can be a bit limiting, though. Lots of friends to be found with a general shout out, but if you're feeling shy/nervous/protective/paranoid/etc..., then by all means send someone a Private Message. I have personally emptied my box, much as it pained me. (What is that? Where's beatle? She did the same thing...)

And jkktdp, right RedT?
                      :H
                      Ne

Comment

Ironically, your PM box is full at the moment...

Comment

bleep;1222406 wrote: Ironically, your PM box is full at the moment...
                          Nuh-uh. I just emptied it!!!

Comment

I am still reluctant to post on here, fear of not knowing what to say and that people wont like me and think Im boring or just a dickhead or something. Ironic that considering the length of some of my posts with the whole once I start I cant stop thing now occuring to typing on here. Why cant I ever get that problem with cleaning my house

Comment

spacebebe01;1222944 wrote: I am still reluctant to post on here, fear of not knowing what to say and that people wont like me and think Im boring or just a dickhead or something. Ironic that considering the length of some of my posts with the whole once I start I cant stop thing now occuring to typing on here. Why cant I ever get that problem with cleaning my house
                              :H
                              Never thought of you as a dickhead, but it's a funny visual. Boring you are not. You're witty and fun.
                              I hear you on the compulsive typing and the irritation that it doesn't transfer to seemingly more productive tasks. Looking back though, I can see that it was extremely productive for me to participate on here on a regular basis. Got me through the tough times, for sure.

Hiya all the rest of you out there! I got nothing this (my) morning, but wanted to say hello!

Comment

Working...
                              X