How do you sleep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you sleep?

I am contemplating pharmaceutical options to suppress the cravings following a couple of weeks of abstinence. How the hell do you sleep when off the alcohol, because I sure can't? The first couple of weeks, I will be on valium which helps loads, if they give you enough but after the detox, HOW do you sleep? I've been an alcoholic for 30 years.

How do you sleep?

It takes awhile for you to learn to just sleep without the AL but for me it got better with time and once I learned how to sleep regular again it was a much much better sleep!
    You always succeed if you never stop trying.
    Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

How do you sleep?

I got into a training routine in which i got up early no matter what time i went to sleep at, Into my local swimming pool that soon woke me up and more importantly made me naturally tired for the night time.I also walked and cycled everywhere but as jenny has said it does take some time but will show results very quickly.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

How do you sleep?

I came up with a plan, Equi. (It took me forever to decide to do this, but I think it helped.)
        Getting ready for bed was a ritual, the same thing every night.
        I didn't let myself get up before 4am. Lo0p suggested it, when he told me to "Guard your sleep!" So I did.

I had a meditation thing I used to help to relax when I was in bed and my mind was whirring. (Counting my breath. Up to ten. Start over. If you lose count, you just start over. There isn't a right or a wrong.)

And like Mario, I exercised and HARD in order to wear my body out, but also to find some of the happy (healthy) chemicals my brain wasn't making. It works.

Hang in there. It passes and then sleep becomes a gift!

Comment

How do you sleep?

Since you posted this in "meds," I'm assuming your using some pharmaceutical for help? I use a psychiatric drug that is often prescribed off-label for sleep. I've used it for 3 years with no need for an increase, including while titrating up to pretty high levels of baclofen. Probably not for the feint of heart in terms of being willing to try it. It a heavy-duty "anti-psychotic" that was prescribed to me for sleep a long time ago. Now I order online because it guarantees me 6-7 hours sleep/night. Look into quetiapine fumarate - brand name (extraordinarily expensive) - Seroquel. I take 50 mg/night. If it interests you, PM me and I'll give you a cheap online source for generic.
          "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

How do you sleep?

I have been taking L-Tyrosine for the past 10 days and it has helped a little with my insomnia due to HDB. I am up to about 5 hours/night (from 2-3). It has also helped with the sleepiness during the day, as it gives me a steady kick of energy with the morning dose. I would suggest trying it first before diving into anything stronger... but it is just my opinion and you should do what you and your doc feels best for you. Good luck with this, as insomnia is the biggest obstacle the gets in the way of success.
            Hit "the switch" at 190 mg/day on 11/10/11... Thanks to Dr. A, Dr. L, and all that have supported my journey on MWO!!:guitar1:

Comment

How do you sleep?

Ne/Neva Eva;1209571 wrote: I came up with a plan, Equi. (It took me forever to decide to do this, but I think it helped.)

RedThread12;1209588 wrote:
              Since you posted this in "meds," I'm assuming your using some pharmaceutical for help?
              Oh! duh. I missed the point. Benadryl, initially. Because I was a nervous nellie. Then xanax. Wish I'd used 'em and more to get over the hump when I was really suffering from insomnia.

Comment

How do you sleep?

bobsd;1209595 wrote: I have been taking L-Tyrosine for the past 10 days and it has helped a little with my insomnia due to HDB. I am up to about 5 hours/night (from 2-3). It has also helped with the sleepiness during the day, as it gives me a steady kick of energy with the morning dose. I would suggest trying it first before diving into anything stronger... but it is just my opinion and you should do what you and your doc feels best for you. Good luck with this, as insomnia is the biggest obstacle the gets in the way of success.
                Hey bobsd, I'm curious how L-Tyrosine helps your sleep. I was taking it for a short while in conjunction with Tryptophan, to help me get going in the morning and afternoon. I know some people that take it prior to going to the gym. It seemed to me that it was mostly for energy, so how does it help you sleep? Do you take it at night?
                Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
                ~Clutch

Comment

How do you sleep?

Nanernanernaner, Ne. Caught you sleeping.

But OH, wait . . . in this case, that's a particularly good thing! :l
                  "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

How do you sleep?

What's new with that, Red? Point is I'm tryin' to wake up. Still.

Comment

How do you sleep?

Also, Equi, bac will help with the cravings. Not the sleep! But it will help with the cravings for sure.

And I'm glad you've got the valium for the hump, and glad that you're keeping sleep as a top priority. It makes a big difference.

Good luck and let us know how you get on, will you? Sleep being a major issue, all input is welcome.

Comment

How do you sleep?

Hey Isolde,

I think that it works to regulate your sleep patterns. I read the reviews on Amazon:
                        http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-L-Ty...1478724&sr=8-1

Someone here had posted that it helped them too, but I am not sure where that post is...

It definitely helps with energy levels. It has helped me marginally so far with insomnia.
                        Hit "the switch" at 190 mg/day on 11/10/11... Thanks to Dr. A, Dr. L, and all that have supported my journey on MWO!!:guitar1:

Comment

How do you sleep?

Oh, and I take 500mg at 7 AM and 500mg at 10 PM.

Comment

How do you sleep?

bobsd;1209626 wrote: Oh, and I take 500mg at 7 AM and 500mg at 10 PM.
                            I've got plenty left, I'll give it a shot!
                            Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
                            ~Clutch

Comment

How do you sleep?

Does tyrosyne help with daytime sleepiness and therefore by keeping you awake in the day helps night time sleep?

Comment

Working...
                              X