paws/bac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paws/bac

Since stoping drinking 12 days ago my mood swings, temper and tiredness have been almost unbearable which i have been blaming on the bac, but after reading about post acte withdrawal syndrome things seem to make more sence. Does any one else know about paws ? and how long this may last and is there any meds to help ? :thanks:

paws/bac

Dags,
    The worst of PAWS abates within months. Benzos can help if you're not going to get addicted to them. AA can help if you're not going to get addicted to it;-)

Comment

paws/bac

Pronoia2012;1239815 wrote: Dags,
      The worst of PAWS abates within months. Benzos can help if you're not going to get addicted to them. AA can help if you're not going to get addicted to it;-)
      Thanks Pronoia, I hope they do mate my temper is bad and i am being very unfair to my wife, iv got diazapam but the bac,s already making me feel tired and i need to get back on my feet i carnt get going in a bad slump at the moment, been in and out of A.A and while i think it,s good it never worked for me i always drank more and suffered worse for some reason

Comment

paws/bac

heya dags,

i don't know a thing about paws, but i'd bet it might be on your plate along with the bac and everything else that goes along with such a radical life change. good job on the 12 days! (now 13, i hope.)

sorry that you're in a bad slump, hope it lifts pronto. just wanted to pop in and wish you well.

rudy

Comment

paws/bac

Hey dags: (this is a joke, okay?)

Maybe your just an a$$ by nature, and not drinking lets your natural light shine through!!

Seriously now . . . how much bac are you taking? Dosage seems to be extremely sensitive for some people. Many of us have found that the "mystical" proper dose actually reduces all of the symptoms you are describing.

Case in point: I gave some to a 74 year old friend of mine who is well-known on both the national and international music scene. He had started to drink so much Jagermeister that the drummer threatened to quit the band if he didn't quit getting too drunk to play to his brilliant capacity.

Friend took 10 mg for a couple of days, the 20 mg for a few. Then he called me to tell me this: "When I woke up this morning it took me a while to figure out how I was feeling. Then like a flash I realized I felt HAPPY." We laughed a lot. He's brilliant and talented and widely known as a crotchety old man.

Mine own bac story is so simple it's boring, but I've read enough to understand that it affects people in very different ways. Your report just makes me wonder how much and how long w/bac. Are you sleeping?

As rudy says, not drinking in itself can be such a radical change that we literally don't have a clue what to do with ourselves. And ditto her year for you on your days. Hope you're feeling better now. We're here to help, if we can!
          "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

paws/bac

RudyB;1240503 wrote: heya dags,

i don't know a thing about paws, but i'd bet it might be on your plate along with the bac and everything else that goes along with such a radical life change. good job on the 12 days! (now 13, i hope.)

sorry that you're in a bad slump, hope it lifts pronto. just wanted to pop in and wish you well.

rudy
            Thanks Rudy

Comment

paws/bac

RedThread12;1240613 wrote: Hey dags: (this is a joke, okay?)

Maybe your just an a$$ by nature, and not drinking lets your natural light shine through!!

Seriously now . . . how much bac are you taking? Dosage seems to be extremely sensitive for some people. Many of us have found that the "mystical" proper dose actually reduces all of the symptoms you are describing.

Case in point: I gave some to a 74 year old friend of mine who is well-known on both the national and international music scene. He had started to drink so much Jagermeister that the drummer threatened to quit the band if he didn't quit getting too drunk to play to his brilliant capacity.

Friend took 10 mg for a couple of days, the 20 mg for a few. Then he called me to tell me this: "When I woke up this morning it took me a while to figure out how I was feeling. Then like a flash I realized I felt HAPPY." We laughed a lot. He's brilliant and talented and widely known as a crotchety old man.

Mine own bac story is so simple it's boring, but I've read enough to understand that it affects people in very different ways. Your report just makes me wonder how much and how long w/bac. Are you sleeping?

As rudy says, not drinking in itself can be such a radical change that we literally don't have a clue what to do with ourselves. And ditto her year for you on your days. Hope you're feeling better now. We're here to help, if we can!
              Hi Red, yer i think you might be right i am acting more of an a$$ now then i ever did drinking:H

I am starting to feel better though, i hit my switch at 155mg on 25.12.11 after about 10 weeks and am down to 135mg with no cravings, sleeping well most of the time but am not complaining... coz am finally af:rockband:

Comment

paws/bac

Whoa there, your very early days, 2 weeks AF if fantastic dont start worrying about anything else really, your body will have a lot of repairing to do and may just be telling you it wants a rest. From what I have found about PAWS it can last anything up to 2 years. A NHS hospital treatment centre I have attended used a 3 month rule, that is - once you have remained AF for 3 months then start looking at any problems, issues that you may have, the 3 months is to give your body and brain a chance to start healing itself. I also take Campral but as with most things I cant tell you what I would be feeling like if I didnt take it.

Comment

paws/bac

Long term withdrawals do improve over time, as others have said. It can take a while. Returning to alcohol means having to start out all over again, and going through all this again, as I have found out numerous times.

I'm now wary of suggesting medications on this forum, but you could talk to a doctor about a fairly short course of Valium, taking care to taper it down gradually. It may ease the discomfort. Don't stay on it long-term, and don't take it at all if you have ever experienced dependence on benzos. Many say it's risky for alcoholics to use benzos at all, except for detox.

Baclofen does seem to be what most people around here use to help them with post-detox cravings, anxiety, and other issues that could lead them to drink again. Campral, Topamax, gabapentin, and pregabalin (Lyrica) are other drugs I have heard to help some people too...maybe even other anticonvulsants may help. Anticonvulsants don't feature benzo-style tolerance either.

Comment

paws/bac

PAWS

Hi Dags, congrats on being AF. I have been Af (with lapse on 12/31/11) since the beginning of December.

Lots of PAWS symtoms. Mood swings, Anxiety, Irritability, Tiredness, Variable energy, Low enthusiasm, Variable concentration, Disturbed sleep.

The one most problematic for me has been the disturbed sleep. It seems to have gotten better the last few days.

Years ago I was attended regular AA meetings. Kept sober for many years, AA not an option now. But I did learn a few tricks. This one might help.

It's called HALT and basically you don't want to become too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. It's a bit overly simple but it does help us to be aware of our emotional and physical health.

For me resting or deep breathing help when I experience many of these symptoms.

Keep up the work, sobriety is probably never going to be as bad as drinking.

Comment

Working...
                    X