Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here and a Q about Naltrexone

Hi,

I am new here and on day2. I have been taking Naltrexone (50mg) one per day since yesterday. My dr did not give me a huge amount of info on it however I have read up some info on the net. My questions is, my dr said that if you drink on Naltrexon, it will have no effect. Now I have NO intention of trying this, however is this true? or does it just work on the cravings?

thanks

:welcome: Mumoftwo....

Yes, you CAN drink on NAL. It's supposed to rewire your brain and make the drink look less attractive....helps immensely with cravings. That's why you kind of have to drink whilst taking it. Take it an hour before you intend to drink. Read the Meds thread...click on Naltrexone or The Sinclair Method for a clearer explanation for why it works. I was on it very briefly. Good luck with your journey and keep reading and posting.

Comment

Hi Mumoftwo

I have been taking Naltrexone for 7 months. If you drink on it you will still feel the effects of alcohol, but you will be more in control. I have been drinking the whole time until just recently where I feel that the medication has worked enough for me to easily go AF.

If you would like more information there is a link at the bottom of the page that will take you to a site with loads of information.

Best wishes

K
      Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
      April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
      wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
      wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
      wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
      wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
      wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
      wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
      http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Thanks for the info. Very interesting reading, I was under the impression that Nal was taken along with abstinance. Given that my Dr was not very helpful (maybe he is not an expert in this field), I was under the impression of take one a day and there you go - no drinking. So do you suggest that I continue to abstain, or continue drinking when the cravings get to much (with decreased consumption?), or just continue drinking how I was before and try to decrease. I agree with the literture that abstainance makes the cravings worse.

A bit a background, I have been drinking about 1-2bottles of wine a day for two years (in the evening only), before that was 7 years AF, before that drank every day but not to the extent I am now.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance,help and support on this. I am all new to this, this is the very first time I have asked for help...

J

Comment

Hi Mum

My Gp told me to drink on it because over time it would make me drink less.
          Nal blocks the reward center of the brain, so when one drinks while on Nal ( Golden rule is to take Nal one hour before drinking) for many months, the brain kind of gets bored with booze because it's not registering as anything special.
          Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
          April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
          wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
          wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
          wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
          wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
          wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
          wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
          http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Hi MO2, and welcome, I have never taken bac so have no experience but I have read up a bit on it. From what I have learnt there are 2 ways of using it, either using The Sinclair Methed in which case you would take it 1 hour before drinking and it it the combination of doing this when carrying on drinking but always taking Nal 1 hours before drinking and only tking it before you intend to drink that works to put you off drinking. The other way is to take Nal on a regular basis while not drinking to help curb the cravings. As I have said I have never taken Nal myself nor am I any kind of expert in any way. Maybe you should go back to your doctor and ask him more, maybe print up some info on both methods to take with you..Best of luck

Comment

Working...
            X