My Bac journey has begun today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right this minute in fact. I arrived home from work and a shipment had arrived.
    A bit of background, I usually drink 10-12 units on a weeknight and around 20 on each of Fri/Sat/Sun. Usually beer and wine well into the weekend session. Have been doing this for about 15 years and I'm now 43yo.
    Anyhow, I have been abstinent now for 12 days and plan to stay that way. I've decided to try the Bac to kill the cravings which seem to be my undoing whenever I get some sober time up.
    I've started with 5mg (edit:make that 5mg 4 times daily) and will titrate according to the level of side effects (if any) and I'll try and post most days with my experiences and dosage level.
    Diggin' being alive

Hi, Woy! Glad you've joined us! Hope it works for you the way it's worked for some of us... And it will.

Congratulations on the 12 days AF. That's awesome. Keep it up! One thing we know for sure (well, at least there is actual research about) is that bac helps cravings even at low doses. I hope you'll find immediate and lasting cessation!

Paying attention to SEs is a good idea, in terms of titration, but a (flexible) plan might make the whole thing run more smoothly. Goals have always helped me. Plus, it would allow for some consistency, and that was very important when I was titrating up. (Not that I had any initially!)

Welcome Aboard!
    Ne

Comment

Well done on the AF period woyboy. I was able to be alcohol free during the first part of my Baclofen experiment, and I can tell you that it makes a huge difference to how badly you feel side effects. There are also others who believe that you reach the switch at lower doses if you are not drinking, so I definitely think Baclofen is likely to work well for you.

Comment

Ho Woy, well done on 12 days AF, thats fantastic, welcome to MWO, there is loads of support and help on here, I cant be much use about bac but am here to cheer you on

Comment

woywoyboy: welcome!
          Very impressive! 10-12 to alcohol free? I started in 2009 and was able to cut back but couldn't get past 3 days completely AF. I find drinktracker makes me accountable and the unconditional support here is what keeps motivating me. I was looking back on drinktracker archives and noted that some who drank 2-9 drinks daily in a month period would stop documenting. I so hope it's not that they got discouraged and gave up, which is what I did. But now I am back. AF is ideal and best, and any victory should be celebrated (with something other than AL of course!) kudos to you!

Comment

Mmkay, approaching the end of a full day with Bac, I've had 5mg 3 times and will take another 5mg abt 7pm. I have no side effects but I am experiencing an odd sense of calm. This was evident at work too when I had 5 "must complete today" tasks on the go and I just happily completed them. I've no cravings at all and I've even had a Death Sauce eating competition with my son. The very though of a drink brings thoughts of something which will taste awful. This is all probably a placebo effect but I'll maintain this dose for another day and then go to 30mg per day.
            Diggin' being alive

Comment

Great news on another AF day woy, your doing well

Comment

woywoyboy;1242536 wrote: Mmkay, approaching the end of a full day with Bac, I've had 5mg 3 times and will take another 5mg abt 7pm. I have no side effects but I am experiencing an odd sense of calm. This was evident at work too when I had 5 "must complete today" tasks on the go and I just happily completed them. I've no cravings at all and I've even had a Death Sauce eating competition with my son. The very though of a drink brings thoughts of something which will taste awful. This is all probably a placebo effect but I'll maintain this dose for another day and then go to 30mg per day.
                What exactly is a 'Death Sauce eating competition'???

As to the rest? Who knows, Woy. Stranger things have happened. You may just not feel the compulsion to drink again. Ever.

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1242601 wrote: What exactly is a 'Death Sauce eating competition'???
                  Death Sauce is a brand of hot and spicy sauce. It comes with silly names such as Jalapeno Death, Sudden Death, After Death and so on. It's supposedly the hottest sauce on the planet and it's great fun to to eat with my son and it's so hot it hurts so we end up laughing and it hurts even more.
                  Diggin' being alive

Comment

Woy,
                    Back in my bartending days I worked at a casual place that had an assortment of hot sauces. One of which was called Dave's insanity sauce.this was the kind of hot sauce that you could dip a toothpick into and that was enough to ruin your day. Of course we all pushed the envelope on that one. One guy loaded up a cracker with about a teaspoon amount. This guy couldn't talk or lift his head off the bar for an hour at least. We couldn't even laugh at the guy it was so bad. At least we didn't laugh in front of him.
                    Congrats on the Bac.

Comment

Up to 40mg today (4*10mg) as no ill effects felt thus far. None today either. Just feeling very calm and easy going. This may be due to the period of 14 days abstinence thus far or it maybe due to the Bac. I'm not sure which.
                      I think I'll stay at 40mg for another day and then go to 60mg and see how it goes.
                      I had a few cravings when I got up this morning but they went as soon as I got to work and I have none now and the thought of drinking is a bit repulsive.
                      Diggin' being alive

Comment

Day 4 on the Bac today. Some very minor SE I think due to titrating up quickly as I've gone to 70mg today. I was a little grumpy at when I went to the pub for lunch with my mates at works as I just could not stand them as I was not drinking and I found them really obnoxious and boring. I used to readily partake in our Friday lunchtime drinking sessions and head back to work after a few hours and do not much. Today I was hustling the guys to finish up so we could get back to work and I was productive until knock off time. I also passed out (fell asleep) an hour after getting home and before dinner. Not something I do on a Friday evening. I'm still very sleepy after a 2 hour nap and I'll go to bed for the night in 15 mins or so.
                        There are no cravings again tonight and I hope this continues over the next 2 days.. I think I'll reduce the dose a small amount for the weekend but I'll make a call on that in the morning.
                        I wasn't a non beleiver but I did have a healthy scepticism of the supposed magic powers of Bac but I think I am quickly becoming a disciple. It just works.
                        Diggin' being alive

Comment

Hey, Woy!
                          That's a lotta bac in 4 days! The SEs can bite unexpectedly...Just being aware of what they are, and how you feel, is a good idea.

Drunken mates on a workday lunch would be pretty annoying, I bet. I saw my productivity SKYROCKET after I stopped caring about booze.

Why would you think to go down? What did you decide? Come on, tell! Inquiring minds would like to know?

Ne

Comment

Oh, yeah. It's not magic. It's medicine. But it feels like Magic. :H

Comment

Ne, I though I would drop a bit for the weekend as I was going away for the night to watch a couple of rock bands which was a 2 hr drive each way and a stay overnight.
                              I ended up going to 80mg (4*20) yesterday and will stay at the same today.
                              The drunks were pretty ordinary to be around and to rub it in, I used to live in this town and when we arrived at the club I saw a lot of the old crowd that I used to drink and play in bands with. Drinking and bands are synonymous and I did everything I could to get away from "my old mates from 'The Bay" as I just could not handle being around them.
                              Oddly enough I do have some cravings this morning but hustling the kids to get ready to go out for lunch and catch a blues band for the arvo. This would be unheard of a month ago as on a Sunday morning all I would want to do is get the first 6 beers down before lunch and then I would be too silly to go out anywhere at all except ensure the supply was not going to run out for the day.
                              Diggin' being alive

Comment

Working...
                              X