naltrexone and irritability issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been drinking 10-16ozs of liquor (vodka, tequila) for 15+ years and just started on nalprexone 50mg (again). It's only been a week and I'd guess it's working because I do not seem to be feeling the same while drinking, but the big problem is my mind/body must be missing that feeling I had because it turns me in to a a**hole. I'm irritable, intolerant, etc. I'm actually kind of that way anyway, but it's much worse and my GF has a hard time dealing it and I'm sure my kids notice it too.
    I tried naltrexone a few months ago, but stopped for this reason. Obviously I can't continue to consume that much alcohol, especially in a 6 hour period (5pm-11pm). Aside from having no memory left, I am basically a fully functional alcoholic in that I don't have any problems with work and I've never had a DUI, I'm not abusive and I don't pass out or act like an idiot, etc. I basically just sit and watch TV while drinking.
    My GF has actually said she prefers me the way I was while drinking that much and NOT taking the naltrexone. I guess my main reason for wanting to stop drinking is that I'm sure it will eventually effect my liver, my kids are young now and I don't want them to know they have an alcoholic father and my memory is incredibly bad (hopefully it will improve if I stop?). Maybe there is another med I can take with the naltrexone to lessen my irritability?

Hi there. Glad you have decided to stop drinking for yourself, and your family. I'm not sure but I do think that the irritability may be caused by the withdrawal of the alcohol from your body and not the naltrexone. Others will jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong. If you are already somewhat of an irritable person this may be an increase of that part of your personality. With booze in your system you may "mellow" a bit - now you are just "out there" in your natural state.

Have you read the book My Way Out? There are lots of options. You could try Topamax, or 5HTP, or GABA, or Baclofen, or Campral....do lots of reading here and see what other options you might take.

Go over to The Sinclair Method Forum and see what they are saying there too. That method says you take Naltrexone while you drink and it blocks off the pleasure, which makes you lessen your drinking over time. Did I misunderstand? Are you still drinking but lesser amounts, or have you quit?

Anyway, I'm sure others will jump in with suggestions for you. Good luck.
    Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
    (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

I am still drinking the same amount, but I only started the naltrexone a week ago. I do have a script for xanax, I tried taking some last night with the naltrexone and it kind of worked, but I got very hungry and I don't want to start gaining a bunch of weight during this process.

On another note, I have been drinking a lot for 15+ years, what if my natural, sober personality is a huge jerk? After this long, even though I'm 41, I will not have learned how to not be a jerk. If I didn't have kids then there really wouldn't be a reason for me to stop, since, except for memory loss, I haven't been effectively negatively by the drinking, yet.

Comment

Hi Aldar

I have been taking Naltrexone for the past 7 months. Irritability might be a side effect as your body adjusts to the medication, which takes most people two to three weeks. The link at the bottom of my signature will take you to a forum about taking Naltrexone following TSM.
        You might want to check it out, there is a ton of information there about nal.

Good luck on your journey
        K
        Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
        April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
        wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
        wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
        wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
        wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
        wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
        wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
        http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Instead of the Xanax why not try something a little more gentle like GABA? Why not google it and see if one of the amino acids might work for you. Or check out The Mood Cure book on line. You could get a used copy for only a few dollars. If I can say something without offending you too much, you sound just a little negative. Is that part of what you mean by being irritable? It might be part of your personality, but it's something you can definitely work on. Are you like that with people at work? Probably not. If not, that means you have to control yourself so that you don't get fired. So you are able to be "nice" when you have to be. So practice being nice when you DON'T have to be like at home with your GF and kids....sounds silly maybe, but just an idea.

Hope you start to feel better as you get some AF days going. Have a great weekend.
          Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
          (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Working...
          X