Buspirone reduces alcohol craving by 40%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this promising regarding another drug that can be used to treat anxiety and cravings...

Buspirone in the treatment of alcoholic patients.Bruno F.
    SourceUniversity of Rome, Citt? Universitaria, Italy.

Abstract
    Buspirone is a unique anxiolytic drug with established efficacy in the treatment of anxiety. In animals, buspirone has been shown to alter drinking preference from alcohol to water. The following study was conducted to evaluate the behavioral effects of buspirone in patients meeting the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (3rd ed.; DSM-III) criteria of alcohol abuse. These patients were motivated to reduce or stop drinking, though none were abstinent at baseline. Buspirone was compared with placebo in a double-blind, 8-week trial in 50 outpatients with mild to moderate alcohol abuse. Patients were assessed at baseline and at end point using the following psychometric and alcohol behavior measures: Drinking Behavior Interview (DBI), Alcohol Craving Scale, the Hamilton Anxiety (HAM-A) Rating Scale, the Hamilton Depression (HAM-D) Rating Scale, and the Physician Questionnaire. Dosage was initiated at 5 mg buspirone 3 times a day (15 mg/day), with a flexible regimen to a maximum of 30 mg/day. The mean daily dose was 20.5 mg buspirone, which is comparable to the anxiolytic dose. Efficacy measures were available for 45 patients (24 buspirone, 21 placebo). The treatment discontinuation rate was markedly lower (p = 0.002) on buspirone; 12 placebo patients and 2 buspirone patients discontinued due to lack of effect (p = 0.001). No patients discontinued due to adverse effect. Buspirone reduced alcohol craving by 40% (p = 0.001), in association with reduced HAM-A and HAM-D scores (p = 0.006) and improved the physician's assessment of global psychopathology. Buspirone treatment was also associated with a 57% decrease in DBI scores; statistical comparison of the DBI data with placebo was precluded by the high discontinuation rate in the placebo group. While these results should be interpreted with caution due to the limited sample size and high placebo discontinuation rate, the findings suggest that further evaluation of buspirone in the management of alcoholism, especially abstinent alcoholics, is warranted.

PMID:2657838[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Publication Types, MeSH Terms, SubstancesPublication TypesClinical TrialControlled Clinical TrialRandomized Controlled TrialMeSH TermsAdultAlcohol Drinking/drug effectsAlcoholism/psychologyAlcoholism/rehabilitation*Buspirone/therapeutic use*Clinical Trials as TopicDose-Response Relationship, DrugDouble-Blind MethodFemaleHumansMaleMiddle AgedPsychological TestsRandom AllocationSubstancesBuspirone
    LinkOut - more resourcesMedicalAlcoholism - MedlinePlus Health Information
    Baclofen Benefits: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/baclofen-benefits-45389.html

:bagdude: "It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome."-Williams James

Buspirone is the generic name for Buspar, right? I took it years ago for anxiety, and it seemed to help. I wasn't really focused on quitting drinking at the time and can't attest as to whether it helps with that. I'd love to try it again though. It seems less of a "cure" like bac or TSM, and more of a helpful tool. I know I looked for it online at some point, and I remember it being pretty affordable. That said, I don't know if I can afford to start buying any more medication online! We'll see. If I try it, I'll definitely report back on my experience. Thanks for the info, Mirawizad!
    "Yet someday this will have an end
    All choices made or choice resigned,
    And in your face the literal eye
    Trace little of your history,
    Nor ever piece the tale entire
    Of villages that had to burn
    And playgrounds of the will destroyed
    Before you could be safe from time
    And gather in your brow and air
    The stillness of antiquity."

From "At Majority" by Adrienne Rich

Comment

Buspirone is a great drug for anxiety. It's particularly recommended for alky types, although I have no idea why. You're meant to have to take it for 2 weeks before you feel the results but that's not been my experience, nor that of a friend I recently introduced to it. I find it can work on a prn basis. In studies it's been found to be as equally effective as xanax and the beauty is, Buspirone isn't a benzo.

It's one of the 3 drugs I use regularly to keep me on an even keel, sober and happy: Buspirone, Baclofen and Gabapentin. I'd also recommend Taladafil for the chaps, because ... well ... sometimes baclofen can take its toll on ... well ... you know. It is a muscle relaxant after all.
      "My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them." Jack Kerouac

Comment

It is Buspar. I take it in max doses and I swear it helps keep my Baclofen dose from going too high. I thin it can work together synergistically.

I recently started taking GLA 300 mg and DMAE 100 mg and I had to lower my dose of baclofen by 40 mg a day as it was almost too much. So I am all for taking things that can all work together synergistically.
        Baclofen Benefits: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/baclofen-benefits-45389.html

:bagdude: "It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome."-Williams James

Comment

Working...
        X