The Sinclair Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sinclair Method

As anyone tried and succeeded with the Sinclair Method?

I came across it whilst searching for something to control cravings. I see that a lot of people use Naltrexone on this site. Is it safe to buy online and self administer?

I don't want to got to my GP as I don't want the fact I have a drink problem recorded on my medical records. I'm scared at the thought of resorting to buying medication and trying to deal with my problem on my own but I don't see another option

The Sinclair Method

Hi Grange,

I tried TSM, and frankly, it didnt do a thing for me. I religously took my pill an hour before drinking for over 6 months but my cravings didnt lessen or anything. I have a friend who also tried it and he had the same results (in fact worse). I am now back to trying baclofen.

Not saying it wont work for you, but for the two real life people who I know who have tried it (me and my friend), it didnt do anything. There is another site called the thesinclairmethod.com where you can get more info I reckon.

Comment

The Sinclair Method

Thanks Zman.... ive decided against the method, as I dont want to go through my doctor so the only way I could get Naltrexone would be online and that terrified me.
      Going to try Kudzu again and maybe something called Moder8 which appears to be a supplement rather than a drug,
      Thank you again for your advice and honesty :h

Comment

The Sinclair Method

Hi Grangelady - you might want to try L-Glut. i tried it before and it didn't work for me but this last time I tried it I decided to try it properly - and also took Kudzu (from this web site which is different to the stuff you buy locally). I bought the powdered L-Glut and took 2 tsps 3 times daily, the 3rd time about half an hour before my cravings would usually start. I have been AF now for quite a while and used the L-Glut continuously. I think it really made a difference - for me anyway. Others have told me it did nothing for them but it can't hurt to try it. I also took the Kudzu religiously too. Between the two of them, I had no cravings at all and was quite amazed. It was the easiest quit I have ever had (I have only had one before and that was when the Topa worked). I still marvel at how easy it was for me. I also liked the allen Carr book, and that changed my mindset - I am now a NON DRINKER and can't imagine ever drinking again. A lot of folk don't care for the Carr book, but again - it worked for me. So between the L-Glut, the Kudzu and the carr book, I now am totally Af and do not have cravings. I wish you all the best on your journey.

Sun X
        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

The Sinclair Method

Moder8 is dodgy. The cost is abt $900 as per a previous post. I can't seen to find it but the post details how this is a crackpot treatment with no scientific evidence it actually works. Heck, even on the from page of their website it sates as much. Save you money for Bac. It works.
          Diggin' being alive

Comment

The Sinclair Method

I tried NAL for about a year -- some moderation and got off hard liquor, but still was drinking 4 - 6 glasses of wine a night (a bit better than 5 - 7). So finally went over to Bac instead.

Sunshinedaisy, you might be describing part of the My Way Out method (minus a drug like Topamax or Baclofen). I learned a lot by reading these three books:

End of My Addiction by Oliver Ameisen (sp?) -- Bac book
            The Sinclair Method -- NAL book (seems like you've already read this, Grangelady?)
            My Way Out by Roberta Jewell

The posited respective mechanisms of action of NAL and Bac in particular are interesting.

- NAL is posited to 'extinguish' the superhighways of neural reward that accompany drinking. After a certain while, it is hypothesized, one simply gets no charge from drinking.
            - Bac may act to calm the Amygdala (the part of the brain that governs the fight-or-flight response), and thus easing the anxiety that can drive drinking.

In any case, keep at it -- and eventually, you'll find your way.

Comment

The Sinclair Method

I tried it for 6 months and it didn't do a thing except give me an excuse to keep drinking to "extinguish" the behavior. I also tried Bac but I found that it affected my global cognition too much.

Now I take Acamprosate which has, I think, been really helpful and has no side effects as far as I can see. It requires a good lot of motivation and about three months to give it a good try but I've been sober just under a month now which is the longest I've gone in many, many years. It's backed by good scientific evidence too.

Wish you luck!

Miles
              The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.

Comment

The Sinclair Method

Can you take moder8 with other supplements such as gaba milk thistle kudzu and the other listed supplements on MWO plan? I just do not want to go through a Doctor cannot afford one and do not have health insurance. Please advise.

Comment

The Sinclair Method

I had pretty good results, but the SEs of Naltrexone were hard for me to bear. The effects were basically immediate. I took a nal, drank an hour later, and felt nothing but vaguely ill. The downside was that I remained feeling vaguely ill the entire time I was on it, and where previously I'd get a good endorphin rush at the gym, I got nothing at all except pain. If you use it, be sure to keep a medical card in your wallet or a medalert type bracelet that says you're on it in case you are ever in an accident. Opiate painkillers won't do anything while you're on Nal.

Comment

The Sinclair Method

You may want to read Katie's thread

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...e-4-51802.html
                    Sinclair Method (50mg naltrexone one hour before drinking)

Pre TSM 80-90 Units Per Week, No Alc Free Days

After control: 3-6 units per month, 25+ alcohol free days!

Comment

The Sinclair Method

Thanks Heavy xx

Comment

The Sinclair Method

Hey Grangelady

I've been following TSM for almost 12 months now, and had massive success with it. I no longer crave, nor desire alcohol. If I do chose to drink I'll stay in control, sometimes I'll stop at 1 glass, other times 2. I often leave glasses part full and pour away drink because I just don't want it. Occasionally I'll get drunk, either with friends or because I just fancy a blast. It's never out of control though, and I've not been in trouble or danger via alcohol since I started TSM - prior to this there was always some disaster or embarassment every time I drank.

At the moment I'm down to perhaps 1 x 50mg per week, because I only drink once a week if that. It wasn't easy but it's such a relief to find alcohol doesn't bother me any more. It's changed my life and I and my friends are over the moon.

I'm a new person, acheiving things that just weren't possible in the past. Sure it doesn't work for everyone, but I'd tried everything and it was my last shot. Good job it worked!

By the way I have obtained the full support of my GP, and a National Health prescription for Naltrexone. I also know of at least 2 others in the UK who have their Drs support on this too, so hopefully word will spread so it becomes an option for more people to try.
                        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

The Sinclair Method

Ukblonde;1274262 wrote: Hey Grangelady

I've been following TSM for almost 12 months now, and had massive success with it. I no longer crave, nor desire alcohol. If I do chose to drink I'll stay in control, sometimes I'll stop at 1 glass, other times 2. I often leave glasses part full and pour away drink because I just don't want it. Occasionally I'll get drunk, either with friends or because I just fancy a blast. It's never out of control though, and I've not been in trouble or danger via alcohol since I started TSM - prior to this there was always some disaster or embarassment every time I drank.

At the moment I'm down to perhaps 1 x 50mg per week, because I only drink once a week if that. It wasn't easy but it's such a relief to find alcohol doesn't bother me any more. It's changed my life and I and my friends are over the moon.

I'm a new person, acheiving things that just weren't possible in the past. Sure it doesn't work for everyone, but I'd tried everything and it was my last shot. Good job it worked!

By the way I have obtained the full support of my GP, and a National Health prescription for Naltrexone. I also know of at least 2 others in the UK who have their Drs support on this too, so hopefully word will spread so it becomes an option for more people to try.
                          U.K.BLONDE.......IN.THE.HOUSE.

Congratulations on your success with naltrexone /TSM, and I'm glad that you're doing well. -tk
                          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

The Sinclair Method

I had similar SE's like moglor. I still drank on Naltrexone but it made me feel well not well. Especially my stomach. It really ruined my New Orleans trip as I wanted to eat all that delicious food but the Nal really killed that. I tried for a long time but I still wanted to drink even though I would feel lousy.

Comment

The Sinclair Method

Yep, I'll agree Naltrexone does take the edge off things, but my drinking problem took the edge off my whole entire life. With Nal I was able to drink as 'normal' with friends and family over the festive weekends, BUT come Monday I felt very flat and had an odd taste in my mouth. This is the Naltrexone however it's still a 100% improvement on what it was like when I was drinking alcoholically(I'd have either had to white knuckle it, or would have gone on a bender and spoiled Christmas for everyone, waking up most days vomitting and weak, possible in danger or trouble). I'd rather have the flat feeling than be back where I was. The 'flatness' also actually encourages me not to drink, or not drink on several days in a row - simply because I don't want that uggh feeling, and since TSM has removed my cravings it's a viable option. I don't miss out if I don't drink because I still have a good time, and my social life doesn't revolve around alcohol. In the long term I've ended up taking nal perhaps only once, or maximum twice a week so the side effects no longer really affect me. My drinking was affecting my life so badly, I was willing to take a little bit of flatness and perhaps not enjoying food as much for the short term.
                              I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Working...
                              X