3 yr viewer in need of help ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi NMT have you thought about antabuse, since I started taking it I have not had a drink its been great, because I cant drink when Ive taken it it stops all the arguing in my head about drink so there is no impulse just tonight drinks which have always lead on to a big bender for me in the past. It really has been the answer for me to years of fighting with this bloody drinking.

Comment

I ditto, ditto what dustbin says. I've been saying it too, just more long winded about it.

Comment

I do want dustbin to know that I am a baclofen adherent for long term abstinence, just not for short term, severe withdrawals. I've seen one or two short term studies with a few participants leading creadence to suppression of alcohol withdrawals with bac, but I can't say I trust it when major seizures are on the line.

Unfortunately, baclofen has been a generic drug for a long period of time, thus the drug companies have little interest in seeing this med succeed, much less pay millions for lenghtened studies required by the FDA (US).

Therefore, we have to rely on forums like this to give us the "cutting edge" in new treatments. Sometimes we have to be our own guinia pigs....

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Chili. I was confused. But just so you know, there are several reliable, reasonable, scientifically valid studies that have been done that show that both low dose baclofen and high dose baclofen (different studies) work to increase abstinence from alcohol.

It's one of the big things that confuses me when nay-sayers and hecklers visit. What was true a year or two ago isn't true anymore. I could go on...and on....and on....etc. but really, it's not the point is it? For anyone who actually wants to know the science and the research there are several of us who can point in the right direction. There IS a way out. With baclofen and with naltrexone, in particular. And obviously with antabuse, though to a different end, at least initially. oh, yikes! There I go going on. In all of those cases, it is an improvement over placebo and abstinence alone, where there are actually comparisons, which is very, very rare.

just sayin'

Comment

Working...
          X