starting naltrexone today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dr. is finally calling in a Rx for naltrexone today after weeks of jumping through hoops, meeting with a psychologist, blood tests, etc. I can't believe how they try to NOT perscribe nal. Sometimes I think "they" don't want you get controll. What a circle f@$k! I have been researching and trying to find the best course for my problem and found this site. The Sinclair Method seems so lodgical. My doc here in the US had nerver heard of it. I realized I had to act like I was just going to abstain while I take it. If I could abstain I wouldn't have this problem, jeeeze! In order to get the Rx I have to continue to see the phychologist and the shrink.(don't think I need to) Looking forward to this experience.:new:

I would agree it takes effort at least it did with me and I did not give it.
    I had zero problem getting Naltrexone but I did have to bring it up with my doc. He had to look it up in his scrip book which had me worried but I was fairly familiar with it.

Comment

Thanks for commenting. I am definately going to make the effort to cut back as well. I know there is no magic bullet but from what I've read on this and other forums nal has helped many. I really want to get this problem under control while I still have normal liver function!

Comment

Myway2, there are several posters on this board who have had significant improvement, even happy abstinence, using TSM. Ukblonde is one, KatieSmiles another. Links to threads of interests are as follows:

KatieSmiles

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...e-4-51802.html

UKBlonde’s assessment

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...d-2-56407.html

That said, there is a lot of truth to TSM taking a long time. Longer than Eskapa says in his book. As I write this, I am beginning my eight month: I don’t black out, I generally go to sleep sober and I am not hung over every day. I currently consume less than 1/3 of my starting intake, but I still drink daily. I am forcing nothing, other than I never drink on an empty stomach, and yet, my consumption is constantly trending down.

Some people have spontaneously quit drinking, without moderating methods. Others have used moderation methods such as never drinking on an empty stomach, alternating non alcoholic beverages etc. I use the never drink hungry. Other people add other tools for their own situations.

Seven months ago, if someone had told me I would drink 1-2 beers and walk away, or a bad binge would be 8: I would have been quite thrilled! Where I am now is a much better alternative to where I was pre TSM. I have had few side effects, other than decreased drinking.

There is another board devoted entirely to TSM. If you plan on following TSM as your way out, you may find other’s experience helpful.

Good luck!
        Sinclair Method (50mg naltrexone one hour before drinking)

Pre TSM 80-90 Units Per Week, No Alc Free Days

After control: 3-6 units per month, 25+ alcohol free days!

Comment

TSM and Naltrexone completely turned my life around, and in a relatively short time too. I felt 'cured' by month 5, although I had a few spikes after that although nothing ever as bad as pre TSM. I would say I am definitely 'cured' 11 months later. Spent years on other methods and nothing ever worked.

It does require perserverence but I no longer have cravings for alcohol, if I do drink (which most of the time I can't be bothered doing) then I'm never in danger or in the same ridiculous situations I used to. That's if I can be bothered getting drunk.

Prior to this I'd been trying for 8 years to quit drinking, with terrible cravings on a daily basis and terrible consequences from my alcohol intake.

Doesn't work for everyone, does require positive attitude and belief. There will be times you drink at your old levels, and you will wonder - I almost gave up after one particular spike, but was so glad I carried on.

Hope you go well, and the Sinclair Method forum is well worth a read.
          I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Best wishes to you MyWay. Please let us know how it works for you.

Comment

I have never used nal but just want to say Welcome myway and I hope this works for you.

Comment

Thanks for the info and kind words- very encouraging! I will check out the TSM board. @UKblonde, I'm a USblonde

Comment

Working...
                X