Coming off Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming off Baclofen

I have been lurking here for a long time now. I was on Baclofen for anxiety for a long time and recently came off it and thought I would share my experience in case it helps other people.

I originally went onto Baclofen because I had a severe anxiety problem which made me very nervous at work to a point I was terrified of doing my job. I went to my doctor and asked for Baclofen because I had read Olivier Ameisen's book and realized that I had similar anxieties and that I had been drinking to cope. I drank daily and even during the night. I would wake up durng the night and drank Napoleon Brandy and read French history while listening to classical music to put me to sleep. That was several years ago and it eventually led me to an episode when I found I could no longer control my mind and I slippped from one mood to another, happy one day, depressed the next, flat the next and so on, in a cycle I realized I had to stop drinking and over time cut right back and then stopped but it left me feeling permanently anxious. I think I had what one would call a nervous break down.

I started the Baclofen by taking 10 mg and it made me feel very sleepy and wonderfully relaxed. It was the best I had felt in years. I knew I could not take it if I worked because I could not concentrate but when I had a very stressful event I had to speak at I decided to take another pill. I think I had probably taken a few more before that so was not so bothered by the side effects at that level. I found it worked wonderfully and so I continued to take it.

However, things got pretty bad for me over time because of my boss bullying me for a year and more. I knew I was going to lose my job and upped my doses. I found I could cope with any level of stress but I got so high with the doses that I was putting on weight, could not get off the sofa and looked drugged so in the end I left my job and started working for myself.

As the pressure lifted I felt I needed to be a lot sharper mentally and had to come off Baclofen. It had got to the point that I was relying on it too heavily and was only "right" when I was fully drugged on it at about 80 mg a day or more and then I would have terrible anxiety as it wore off. It was very worrying because I wondered if I had done permanent damage to my brain and whether I would ever be normal again.

I was reading posts here about coming off and that I should titrate off slowly so I tried that but just ended up taking the same amount each day because I would get anxiety and have to up my dose again.

I then tried just going cold turkey and that was okay for a day and then the next day I had terrible anxiety attacks so had to dose up high again. I started to get worried.

I then read about someone who came off using Benzodiazapines for the spasms coming off and I had what I thought was a good idea. I would use Baclofen instead of Benzodiazapines.

I decided to stop taking my Baclofen and see how far I got. I started to get leg spasms pretty badly, walking funny with a stiff leg. I had to pretend I had a leg injury because it looked ridiculous. I then took 10 mg to calm that down. That happened over a few days and i was forced to dose up again because it seemed not to work. I stuck with it and stopped taking it again. This time I had severe spasms through the night. My whole body shook as I tried to get through. In the end I had to dose up but I found this time that if I got up and walked around a bit the spasms stopped. I tried again the next night and got through the spasms by walking around a bit. I took a small amount of diazapam as well, about 5 mg.

Then I decided to keep attacking the anxiety with small doses. When I would feel anxiety coming on I would sit down and take 5 mg and just ride it out. I did this over a period of a few days. It seemed to work but by the evening I had severe anxiety so I took 20 mg before bed. That gave me a really good night's sleep and I woke up refreshed and found that I had no need for Baclofen the next day. I did the same the next night and then had no Baclofen the next night. I got through the next day with no problems and that was the end of it. I have been off it now for a couple of weeks and feel completely normal again.

What I have discovered is that over the time I have been taking it, I have changed, I think. I seem to be much calmer than I was before I started taking it or even through my use of it over two years. I think it has a cumulative effect or maybe it allowed me to think about my problems, realize I could get through them and that I would be ok. Whatever it is, I have no feeling that I want to use them again, I feel I can cope without them and can get on with my life.

I also think that taking Baclofen for anxiety at too high a level can make you take wrong decisions because it allows you to cope with a lot of things which normally would make you run away but you can say that about any decision. I know I am not in a good place right now but I intend to stay calm and not medicate myself anymore.

I have taken anti depressants and diazapam in the past and nothing compares to Baclofen for its ability to see you through any level of stress. It can turn bad thoughts into good ones and gives you a positive outlook through the most difficult times and it can change you as a person and make you feel whole again.

Well, that is my story and I hope it helps someone.

Coming off Baclofen

Sorry, I pushed the post button and posted this twice.

Comment

Coming off Baclofen

Hi, Kerry. And welcome. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm sorry that you're not in a good place, but it sounds as though you are in a better place to handle the things that are making life difficult.

Take good care!

Comment

Coming off Baclofen

Intense story, Kerry! So are you completely done with baclofen? Would you recommend it to someone else?
        "Yet someday this will have an end
        All choices made or choice resigned,
        And in your face the literal eye
        Trace little of your history,
        Nor ever piece the tale entire
        Of villages that had to burn
        And playgrounds of the will destroyed
        Before you could be safe from time
        And gather in your brow and air
        The stillness of antiquity."

From "At Majority" by Adrienne Rich

Comment

Coming off Baclofen

Thanks for taking the time to share :thanks:

Comment

Coming off Baclofen

I would recommend it over anything I have tried. It is not addictive and you can come off it very quickly if you have to or slowly. It can get you through anything and it certainly makes you not feel like drinking. I used to find I would enjoy a drink but it doesn't interest me at all and I don't get any enjoyment from any alcoholic drink at all anymore so I don't bother. It is like returning to childhood before I ever had a drink. I didn't look for it then and I don't look for it now. I can live without it. You do have to be careful because if you take too much you have to worry about ups and downs between doses. They really need to work on side effects and slow release because the half life is too short for long term anxiety use. I think it would be extremely useful for PTSD especially for ex-servicemen.

Comment

I doubt you will see my reply since you posted back in 2012 but I wanted to add something in case others stumble onto this the way I did (in search of answers about baclofen withdrawal). It should be noted that some people do find it very difficult to withdraw from. However, it may not be if it's prescribed solely for anxiety. Here's what happened to me.

I have taken a low dose, 10mg 3x daily, well over a year for symptoms due to spinal stenosis and multiple compressed nerves in my cervical spine. I did not know that baclofen not only helped with muscle spasms, it was actually masking other symptoms as well. I stopped taking it a few weeks ago. About the same time, my world was ripped out from under me. I started having severe anxiety (new for me) and weird sensations in my face, neck, and extremities. Numb, tingly, crawling out of my own skin sensations. I thought I was losing my mind and until today. I had failed to put it all together that it all started after I stopped the baclofen. I thought I had just developed severe GAD out of nowhere and everything I read seemed to confirm this. I started back on the baclofen today and my symptoms, while still there, have improved greatly. I guess if you need it for spinal stenosis, or other neurological disorders like MS then you may have withdrawals or maybe just a sudden and extreme onset of the masked symptoms should you stop cold turkey. I have no problems taking it for the rest of my life if it keeps me sane and from having to have spinal surgery. I just hope I can find a doctor who will continue to prescribe it to me. The thought of ever having to fully live with these symptoms since going off baclofen makes life truly not worth living.

Comment

I am once again struck by the variety of experiences and effects baclofen seems to create. I'm on 110 mg as I titrating up and I can't say I've noticed any particular effects on mood, levels of anxiety or anything like that. Ameisen's book left me hoping not only that I would stop craving alcohol when I quit drinking but that my low chronic level of anxiety when sober would go. It was Ameisen's experience after all, though his anxiety level was somewhat higher. Professor Chick, who I saw prior to starting on baclofen said he wasn't sure there was much evidence that it did combat anxiety, which was disappointing. I'm going for it anyway, as 'indifference' will be worth it too.

So it seems that baclofen has a pretty wide spectrum of effects, side effects and creates very different experiences from individual to individual.

Comment

Kerry Blue is a type of dog. They breed it with greyhounds for the colour. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Blue_Terrier

This was an account I created for my wife to help her get involved in posting here, thinking it would help her social anxieties. It didn't.

Just in case anyone is wondering about the person behind this name.
                  BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

My wife's father died a few hours ago.

We have had a harrowing time this summer. She made it back to the UK to see him and came home on Friday morning. He had a serious accident in June and had been hospitalized for three months so my wife flew back three times. He was much improved until 10 am today.

My wife had been seriously stressed and had some "benders" over the course of the summer but did not relapse. They were one or two day jobs and she stopped like anyone else would who had a few too many. She hasn't drunk as a result of this news. I had worried about this for some years as I couldn't imagine her being able to go to the funeral because of her health and because she had been told she would be barred but she is going back for the funeral.

It's times like this that one realizes how miraculous this treatment has been for her and for all of her family.
                    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Sorry to hear about your family's loss. My father died a year ago and it is still fresh for me. It is a horrible experience.

Good news about your wife though if that is appropriate to say.

Comment

Sorry to hear your news, Otter. but it sounds as though your wife is bearing up well.

Comment

I'm sorry, Otter. It is a (science-y) miracle that we can move on and live like "normal" people.

My condolences to you both.

Comment

My condolences to you both as well Otter.

Comment

Working...
                            X