Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term use of Antabuse

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with long term use of Antabuse (more than 6 months) or is it usually used in the short term? Just interested in others experience with this drug. Please fell free to PM me if you dont want to post

thanks

Hi, I have taken Antabuse for several months, although maybe not 6+ months in a row yet. I usually take half a pill, i.e. 100 mg, to reduce any chance of problems. There are a few reports of liver damage in people who have taken the drug, but you would imagine anyone taking it would already have a fair chance of liver damage from alcohol. Even 100 mg will definitely rule out the possibility of drinking. One thing I have noticed is that failure to take the drug every day can result in a renewed desire to drink, because you start losing the feeling of actively fighting the addiction and start making up excuses to drink again. This happened to me anyway. Taking it every day seems to be the only way it works well for me.

Comment

I agree with Greg. I am cutting my pills in half and taking half a pill daily. I had been taking it every other day but would find myself skipping more & more. Then would make up an excuse to drink. If it's a daily routine, I do much better.
      I haven't taken it consecutively for 6 months but I plan on talking to my psychiatrist regarding that on my next visit. I will let you know what she says.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
      X