needing some feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

needing some feedback

:new:my husband is a severe, chronic alcoholic. He is 49 and I think that we both know that his time to abuse his body is running out...He has confessed that he feels overwhelmed/helpless to stop drinking - and that all things, aside from planning his next drink - are incidental -He is extremely anxious while sober. Social events are tourtorous, with great effort being made to put on a good front for an appropriate amount of time before an escape is made. (example - nephew's funeral on the weekend - he went, squirmed, paid his respects and left early so that he would not lose his mind). He has been prescribed Lithium and ativan - both he as used and then stopped using. his drinking begins when the liquor store opens and ends at suppertime when he goes to bed. 10-15 beer/day. The questions are concerning TOPAMAX, NALTREXONE, CAMPRAL, AND BACLOFEN. Does anyone have a recommendation where to start, dosage information and cost? They all seem very expensive and I cannot afford to dabble without trying to make informed purchases. I need your insight.

needing some feedback

Hi Maxmom and welcome to MWO. First off does your husband want to do this, thats the most important thing, if he does then the only bit of advice I can really give you that you can start today is for you both to read, read and read some more, on here, all over the internet that you can google (be careful and use your common sense) there are also the books written.

All of the meds you mentioned have different effects and also different side effects and there are also people who have used each of them with success. When your husband has information he can then make a decision on what he would like to try and you can decide what support you want to give him.

As for the cost, for the most part meds are not prohibitively expensive and for the benefits I have got from themeds I have taken and the support I have got from coming here that is priceless.

Good luck

Comment

needing some feedback

Thank you for your response. Yes, he is interested in digging in - just doesn't have much faith in anything as he has participated so many times in fruitless treatments that have missed the mark. You say that the cost is not prohibitive - however, it seems that Baclofen is the one that seems to make alot of sense for him with all of his anxiety and such. When I review dosage potential and costs - it seems that it would easily fall into $50 or more a day! does that sound right or am i miscalculating?'

Comment

needing some feedback

Hi Maxmom,

I think you are off by a decimal point. I'm taking 250mg a day at a cost of about $5.60.

That is saving me a bundle!

Baclofen does wonders. Good luck to you and your husband.

Jack

Comment

needing some feedback

Hello Jack, Thanks for the correction - can you recommend a place where we can order this online that will ship to Canada? I am still seeing things like $87.00 for 60 pills/10mg....

We have been doing exhuaustive research and are left with the idea that baclofen is the best place to start. His Dr has never HEARD of Campral - doesn't have any idea about the science of Topiramate for the efficacy of Naltrexone. It seems that with a diagnosis of alcoholism, you have to be your own Doctor.

Comment

needing some feedback

MaxMom;1311356 wrote: :new:my husband is a severe, chronic alcoholic. He is 49 and I think that we both know that his time to abuse his body is running out...He has confessed that he feels overwhelmed/helpless to stop drinking - and that all things, aside from planning his next drink - are incidental -He is extremely anxious while sober.
            MM,

Your husband is very lucky to have you. Many spouses would bail in such a situation. The fact that you are here and posting shows that you are very compassionate. Having dealt with my own issue with AL and also a teenage child with an addiction to another substance, I know how gut-wrenchingly awful it is to be on either side of the equation.

Social events are tourtorous, with great effort being made to put on a good front for an appropriate amount of time before an escape is made. (example - nephew's funeral on the weekend - he went, squirmed, paid his respects and left early so that he would not lose his mind).
            Yep, anxiety and social anxiety both seem to be very much tied in to AL problems and we use AL to deal with the anxiety but then get caught in a vicious circle because the day after drinking the anxiety skyrockets, so we need more AL to combat the anxiety again.

He has been prescribed Lithium and ativan - both he as used and then stopped using. his drinking begins when the liquor store opens and ends at suppertime when he goes to bed. 10-15 beer/day. The questions are concerning TOPAMAX, NALTREXONE, CAMPRAL, AND BACLOFEN. Does anyone have a recommendation where to start, dosage information and cost? They all seem very expensive and I cannot afford to dabble without trying to make informed purchases. I need your insight.
            From personal experience I can only speak to NAL and BAC. NAL didn't help me much with craving. Some people use the Sinclair method which sounds more promising as a fundamentally different way to use NAL.

Having started BAC just a few little over two weeks ago it does immediately reduce the anxiety and tension. There are periods though when it briefly seems to cause more anxiety and one needs to be able to ride that out knowing it's temporary.

As to the cost, Sprat hit the nail on the head; the cost is much less than you calculated. Online cost is about $0.40 for 25 mg. (Using River pharmacy for 200 quantity as an example). The first month uses only about 80 tabs, so $32 that month. Even at the higher doses its cheaper than drinks alone, much less the inevitable health issues.

You are on the right track; do your research, have a plan, get help, and take each step deliberately. As Space said, it really starts with your husband's willingness. If he has the desire, your ability to sort through all of this information without the handicap of the AL fog will be a tremendous help.

All the best to both of you...

Comment

needing some feedback

This is what I am seeing: Baclofen 25mg ? 180 pills C$2.97 per/25mg C$534.49 total
              Buy Baclofen Online Without Prescriptions. No Prescription Needed. Order Baclofen Online Without Prescriptions. Cheap Baclofen Online No Prescription.

I am worried that the price to Canadians must equal 7-8 times the price at least - I just found out that River Pharmacy does not ship to canada. Are there any Canadians that have found a better price - I am not having any success in my search!

Comment

needing some feedback

Hi Maxmom, I cant believe the price on that site. I pay ?13 for 100 x 10mg pills but I am in UK. I have seen posts from Canadians and there is a thread somewhere on here about it, but I am led to believe it may be more difficult to get over there. I am hoping someone will chime in and give you the advice you need.

And yes unfortunately you seem to be correct in having to become your own doctor when it comes to alcoholism, too many docotrs out there either dont know, or when shown the evidence or treatment dont want to know.

I am sure this can be sorted out and I will go and have a look around to see if I can find any infor for you on buying bac in Canada.

Comment

needing some feedback

baclofan;1223463 wrote: If you think pharmacology is the answer you can try to get in touch with Addiction Medicine Clinic at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) in Toronto.
                  tel# (416) 535-8501 ext. 6019

Click on the link below, scroll down to Medications for alcohol dependance and see what meds they prescribe:

Dealing with Alcohol Problems

the only referal to that clinic required is a self referal

Also I think Goldpharma do supply to Canada Ive no idea on price but I do think they are expensive

Ne/Neva Eva;1176477 wrote:

Finally called Dr. L and got a script. He works with a couple of people in Canada. He's legit.

Ne
                  Doctor Levin is a doctor who prescribes baclofen he is in Chicago I think you can get more information about him around here, I dont know much except that he is used by quite a few people for their bac supply.

As I say Im in UK so am not the person to give advice I am hoping someone will tho, I will keep looking

Comment

needing some feedback

I just copied this from Goldpharma you could check it out

goldpharma.com

Baclofen (Muscle relaxants ? muscle relaxants, centrally acting agents)

Baclofen
                    Muscle relaxants, centrally acting agents ? Other centrally acting agents
                    Lioresal 5 mg 100 tbl. 5.000 mg
                    100 Tablets ? 27.13
                    Novartis Pharma GmbH
                    Lioresal 5mg 20 tbl. 5.000 mg
                    20 Tablets ? 17.45
                    Novartis Pharma GmbH

Sun Pharmaceuticals Germany GmbH
                    Baclofen-neuraxpharm 10mg 100 tbl. 10.000 mg
                    100 Tablets ? 21.32 ] These prices look ok to
                    me
                    neuraxpharm Arzneimittel GmbH ]
                    Baclofen-ratiopharm 10mg 100 tbl. 10.000 mg ]