Long Term Baclofen Users - Check In!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been on HDB on and off (mostly on) for 2 years now, with mixed success. At dosages over 200mg/day (1.79mg/kg) my cravings are significantly abated, to the point where I can "talk myself out" of drinking by committing to my weight loss and exercise plans. At this dosage, though, it's easy for a bout of depression, bad news, etc., to push me back into drinking. This has typically been the cause of my failures; drinking due to depression, a dip in dosage due to forgetfulness, or simply a desire to taper down after a few months success, puts me back off the wagon. I never reached what I'd call a "Switch," so I'm debating ramping up my dose to 350-400mg/day to see what happens. As it is right now, I still think about alcohol quite often.

I do not have any health effects from long-term usage of baclofen. From an exercise perspective, I can perform heavy weight lifting without issue, although when I am tired, my coordination suffers a bit. Baclofen affects me much like it did 2 years ago, although I am now very familiar with the side effects, and find it relatively easy to cope/compensate. Once I'm used to a dose (takes me about 2 weeks to adjust,) the SEs are minimal, and mostly involve daytime somnolence.

I recently had blood work done, and while my physician is unaware of my HDB usage, my blood work checks out normal (and is actually much improved from previous tests due to weight loss.) Kidney function was fine.

Ask me anything about being on HDB for 2+ years :-)

I've been on Bac for about a year with a lot of success -- as far as not drinking beyond what I'd like to. There are side effects that really suck, but Bac works for me. I went up as high as 380, am down to 160 and still doing alright. Anxiety is the killer for me, but it seems better on Bac than without it. I had my blood work done too and checked out just fine in the liver and kidneys.

Comment

Dosage, anxiety is the killer for many of us who treat it successfully with gabapentin. I swear it lifts your mood within half an hour and eases panic, anxiety and depression. It doesn't eliminate depression but gives me the ability to distract myself from it. You may catch a buzz at first but it goes away with a few uses. Totally recommend you add it to your rx stack.

Comment

Started using baclofen in 2009 at low dose. Reduced craving. Increased up to 150 mg pr day. Continued relapses at all levels when in stressful situations until started mirtazapine at 45mg per day. This combination allowed a reduction to 60 mg a day of baclofen and seems to be a complete answer to cravings no matter what level of anxiety. Hmmm.....
        BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Otter;1371948 wrote: Started using baclofen in 2009 at low dose. Reduced craving. Increased up to 150 mg pr day. Continued relapses at all levels when in stressful situations until started mirtazapine at 45mg per day. This combination allowed a reduction to 60 mg a day of baclofen and seems to be a complete answer to cravings no matter what level of anxiety. Hmmm.....
          I concur with that...big time!!!

Comment

Well not sure if I am long term. About 11 months.
            Hit 240 which was too high. Went down too low and felt the urges.
            Staying at 220. I will have a couple glasses of wine maybe once a week at a nice meal.

Otherwise, it has really changed my life. AF was not a requirement for me. Utter control was. I think I have that.

Somnolence is rough though.

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

To this whole thread.

Comment

baclofan;1371994 wrote: I concur with that...big time!!!
                How is baclofen treatment going down in T.O? I lived there for years back in the day (whatever that means)
                BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Otter;1372341 wrote: How is baclofen treatment going down in T.O?
                  Hi Otter, I don't know...I'm no longer under CAMH care. The Dr there wanted to see me every week plus wanted to combine bac treatment with their support group (twice a week)...that was a bit to much for me, but I'm lucky enough to be under care of fantastic Pdoc who's read and is inspired by Ameisen's book and is encouraging me to read and believe the story and to go for the "switch"...he's willing to prescribe me bac off-label in doses required to reach the goal.

Btw, have you read the link I've posted about very recent mirtazapine pilot study and its very positive outcome in treatment for comorbid depression and alcoholism?

Comment

Working...
                  X