An introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An introduction

Hi again, Justin. In my latest round of being up late at night, I've run across an old post that's been long buried, and found something that... well, might not be helpful at all right now. In other words, I've no clue if it'll help ya' with "what to do now," but I do think you might find it useful with your longer term goal of getting the word out in a way people will "get."

Also, there's somebody else around right now who I think the 12 steps will apply to, but I cannot for the life of me remember who as I'm just now waking up if you can call it that, so I don't really know where else to put this. Anyway, a lot of it is out of context at this point (the debate opening, don't worry about that), and I was going to try editing it but gave up:

Otter;1150941 wrote: I have said for some time, a lot more would be gained if more energy was put into taking this debate away from here. I say this because there are more aspects to alcoholism than just a medical treatment. Say, for the sake of argument, that anxiety is the major cause of chronic alcoholism. So, you take Baclofen and you get yourself cured. But then you step outside and everyone on your street still treats you as though you are an alcoholic. The relationships which have caused anxiety remain unchanged. No one else knows about this treatment. No one supports it. And, back you go, over and over to escape the world that does not accept that you are any different. What we need is a 12 step program for Baclofen. 1. Accept that you are an alcoholic. 2. Accept that it is an illness. 3. Accept that there is a treatment for it. 4. Find the treatment. 5. Figure out how to use it. 6. Achieve sobriety. 7. Examine what else you need to beat this illness. 8. Engage in those treatments. 9. Analyze how you became an alcoholic and find ways of not going back down that road again. 10. Tell everyone you know that you had an illness. 11. Make them apologize to you for treating you the way they did. 12. Accept that there is some deeper force within us that is for the good, because if there isn't this would not have been possible. At the end of this you can call yourself a true Baclofenista.

There have been a few articles about Baclofen in magazines but there is still a large vacuum out there in terms of general understanding of this treatment or even knowledge about it. Ghandi is supposed to have said, "first they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win". In my circle, people ignored me, some think it is all very funny but at least they know what I am talking about. Others are fighting me, which is very painful. Some have accepted defeat.

Baclofen is not a "wonder drug" in the sense that it cures alcoholism. It is an effective treatment of anxiety and craving because it mimics a missing brain chemical and that is what makes it stand out from other drugs. The debate about Baclofen treatment is not about Baclofen vs. other drugs but whether it is the only drug that is necessary, whether there are other therapies needed in addition to it, whether it does not work for some people and why. The underlying theory of Baclofen is sound. James Garbutt has now admitted as much. That says something.

Then, beyond that, is public awareness. Not just to spread the word for people who need treatment, but so that one can walk down the street and not be treated like a leper. That is the real challenge.

MWO is great but it is not the be all and end all of alcohol therapy and information dissemination. What is needed is a public information campaign. I have to admit it is a worrying thing to get involved in. No one wants to write to 50 friends announcing that one is an alcoholic! But that is precisely the point. Why not, if it is an illness, which it is. Some people here are starting to show us who they are. Many of you know my name and my background and it is scary for me. I think it is worthwhile though. I sit with friends and the joke now is "you need to take some Baclofen for that". There was a research project at Johns Hopkins into Baclofen for Tourettes. It didn't work but it made them feel better about themselves. There is a study in Toronto into its use for nicotine addiction. It is used for autism. This is all because the part of the brain that it effects is now becoming better understood and scientists are discovering that this part of the old brain is far more important than anyone realized. We all think of behaviour as emanating from "thoughts" over which we have control. We are humans, not animals. We can control our behaviour. We have a cerebral cortex which animals don't. We are superior.

As for us, well, it is an up and down battle. Baclofen works to stop cravings. But, there are other factors. Sugar is a factor. Anxiety is a huge factor and that is a two way street. It is caused by how we view the world but also by how the world views us and those are things that are hard to change. But you have to start somewhere. Maybe we will get there maybe not. But without Baclofen, I would not have a hope.

Best wishes.:h

Comment

An introduction

jaddyday,

I am following your journey with baclofen with much interest, as are several others apparently. Please keep us posted on this second time around. I am currently titrating back up as well since what seemed to be the switch wasn't. Good luck with yours.

Al

Comment

An introduction

Hi folks,

Thanks for your input.

Stuck, at 325mg/day the only side effect of any significance is breathlessness which has only appeared at 300+. It's not very pleasant but the end justifies the means in this case I feel. The fact that I smoke 20-30 cigarettes a day probably doesn't help much either! I'm loving Otter's new 12 steps (particularly number 11) - far more rational than the original! I've had quite a few battles of late with the 12 step brigade but, given my lack of subtlety surrounding the subject, I might pm you on that one!

Ifyoulovelife, thanks for your words of encouragement. I have gone up by about 100mg/day over a couple of weeks so you make a good point. I'll stay here for a couple of weeks and see how I get on. When (and indeed if) I reach indifference again I will certainly not be in a hurry to lower my dose!

Ne, insightful as ever! The main problem with this treatment is that we are the pioneers. There is no set protocol and it is very much trial and error. I totally get what you're saying about abstinence but I just don't frankly think I could to be honest. I have lots more to say so will pm you later.

Al Fiend, I will of course keep you guys updated. You sound like you're having a similar experience to me?

Anon guys.

Justin

Comment

An introduction

Otter's post makes sense.

Bac is not an answer but a tool. If you work 12+ hours and have to keep your personal life on MS Outlook it's tough. Especially when you want to drink and escape it (it only makes it worse).

The breathless thing may not be cigarettes. I've had it before. I have it again now that I am titrating back up to my old switch since I came close to drinking again. Darn se's. Back to insomnia again but I get that much more work done.

To each their own. It's sad we have to figure this stuff out. There might some folks out there but they are on the fringe and good luck having one locally.

That's why we have a forum. A bunch of neophytes weighing in and we make sense. I say neophyte only because we can't know what every SE is out there and what could be happening to someone.

Good luck all, gotta to get back to working.

Comment

An introduction

I would love a PM, J, and if you don't get the chance I will probably send you one in the near future. As I near the switch, I'm planning ahead and would very much like to put a packet of info together and approach my local AA senior members. I'll let them decide if they'd like me to speak. This is all planning stages, as I'd respect their 6 mo+ rule about speakers so this would be 6 mos post-switch whenever that is.

Oh and the insomnia itself would be great. I just hope if I ever have to do this again the panic and brain fog don't come along for the ride, so I actually could spend the extra hours working.

Comment

An introduction

So I'm getting a bit worried now. I clearly only experienced a brief reprieve at 270mg/day and not the switch I thought it was. I've been on 350mg/day for a couple of days now. At the weekend (when I was on 325mg/day) I drank for pretty much 30 hours straight and I also took cocaine. Things seem to be getting worse rather than better.

Comment

Working...
              X