Something I Found Interesting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its used as a front line anxiety treatment here for when ad's arnt used, Im surprised its not used as much elsewhere. Even tho Im not supposed to take them I have taken a few on occasions that I could not get out of but I knew would cause me a lot of anxiety/panic and strangely it does seem to work on both fronts. Because the physical symptoms arnt there the mental stuff isnt bad either, I think thats because all the shaking, sweating hyperventilating and such feeds the mental stuff to panic even more.

I have also forgotten how much self medicating is frowned upon because I get used to talking about it openly on here and got a shock from peoples shocked reactions but your right it is good of the guy to do that for you.

Comment

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertension">hypertension, the role for beta-blockers was downgraded in June 2006 in the United Kingdom to fourth-line as they perform less well than other drugs, particularly in the elderly, and evidence is increasing that the most frequently used beta-blockers at usual doses carry an unacceptable risk of provoking type 2 diabetes.[10]

Propranolol is often used by musicians and other performers to prevent stage fright. It has been taken by surgeons to reduce their own innate hand tremors during surgery.[11]
      Propranolol 80 mg daily can be used post discharge in STEMI patients.[citation needed]
      Propranolol is currently being investigated as a potential treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder.[12][13][14] Propranolol works to inhibit the actions of norepinephrine (CBS reported adrenaline), a neurotransmitter that enhances memory consolidation. Studies have shown that individuals given propranolol immediately after a traumatic experience show less severe symptoms of PTSD compared to their respective control groups that did not receive the drug (Vaiva et al., 2003)[full citation needed
      ]. Propranolol reduces the effects of nightmare-related cardiac activity by keeping sinus rhythm low during nightmares[]

Comment

I could not for the life of me figure out what you were saying, Bruun. Bigamy? Wth does that have to do with anything? Is Windy suffering from PTSD from a bigamist??? I'd forgotten about the kindle-correct.

I have a friend, a physician, who takes propanolol for anxiety. I don't think it's a med to be played with, but doesn't sound too scary either. Then again, I'm pretty blase about these things at this point. (Very funny about the SMART guy's reaction. Very, very funny! I've stopped mentioning meds to my therapist. It shocks her that I would order stuff online! oy if she knew... :H)
        Mixing and matching brain drugs does give me a good deal of pause though. It might be a good idea to reach out to a doctor...Or maybe do some in depth research to find out if there is ANY info about the three meds you're on. I'll help if you'd like and I can...

I have been meaning to post an article about a PTSD treatment that included doing regression therapy or something similar, reliving the moment and talking through it. (Something to this effect.) It was created by a firefighter. That's about all I can remember. Sadly I can't find it. Because the thing is, the people who went through the therapy, they got worse. Turns out our minds have the remarkably capacity to remember things better than they were. It's a protection mechanism--(isn't that how mothers do it more than once??? )

That is all kind of unrelated to propanolol. It IS related to coping with PTSD, though. And there is some really compelling stuff about the fact that we are all suffering from something related to that--at least chemically. ('cause I gotta tell you, there is no trauma in my life. I've looked! I've paid very expensive professionals to help me look! Didn't work. No real drama...)

Anyway, sounds interesting, and if you give it a shot I hope you'll keep us up to date. I wonder if they are using talk therapy or simply prescribing with a specific protocol? Do you think you'll be able to find out?

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1336498 wrote:
          . Turns out our minds have the remarkably capacity to remember things better than they were. It's a protection mechanism--(isn't that how mothers do it more than once??? )
          Thats interesting and quite possibly one of the reasons I kept returning to drink no matter how bad things got with it.

Also interesting the 2006 UK change in its use. I didnt know about that.

Bigamy:H

Comment

Working...
          X