Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Hi Cindi,
    Just about to hit the sack when I read your post. It made me feel great because not only are you doing sooooooo well, but your enthusiasm is infectious!! Congratulations!!
    Just wanted to let you know I'm so happy for you. Now it really is time for night night!!
    "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson :rays:

Comment

Hello, I have been following all of you guys, and you have been motivating me for a very long time. I have been on 25mg of topa for like 4wks now, and doing great. one night out on sat, but no biggie. but during the week, no cravings. (sorry, this is from 1-2bottles of wine after a 7p-7a night shift at least 3days a week) do some people just stay on 25mg and never move up? I am worried about my blood pressure, because i also take a diuretic (prescribed), and with the topa now, i really bottomed out when i went up to 50mg. got dizzy and lightheaded. any suggestions...thanks.

Comment

Lily,

If 25 mg of topa is working, I would stick with is. Less is truly more with any drug, topa or alcohol!!

Topa is only a piece of this pie, remember. There is the supplements - which I do truly believe in after seeing how they have helped my over all health, and then the mindset and determination.

In my case, the topa didn't work until I got up to 100 mg and it has been tough because the side effects are rough on me but my drinking has also decreased to almost nil all of the sudden. I even have AF days now, which is an unhead of thing, I was 1-2 bottles every single day.

Best of luck,

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

has anyone experienced feeling the topa more in the beginning? forthe first three weeks i was always tired and very spacey and dopey up and through 75mg while moderating after that i am up to 125 and still aiming up, because i have not felt like i have hit my "switch-off point" yet i feel so much more alert and even better than before taking topa at all...is this usual?

cap

Comment

Paddy;163093 wrote: I've been on 225 mgs TOPA (25 mgs increase over my normal dose) for since 23 June. I've been suffering of a probable side effect, which manifests itself by sensitive skin in the area of armpits and top left/right arms (at times really hurting, particularly the right arm), for about 8 or so days. Moreover, my panic attacks are on the comeback ...

It's not all bleak, I'm just considering my options -

1) either going on with the same dose
            2) or go down with the dosage back to original dosage 200 mgs

Anybody going through similar experiences?
            Well I am catching up on this and yes I am considering my options right now. I had the strangest thing happen when I went up to 200mg. I had tingling and a pins and needles sensation all over my face and throughout my head then as the day went on it was in my arms, stomach and just my forehead. All along I haven't had very bothersome side effects at all. So I am on my way back down and upping the Kudzu and Lglut. That was just a little too much (scary) for me.
            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hello
              I have just increased from 25mgs to 50 mgs and my legs don't work! has anybody else experienced leg pain?? will it go away or should I drop back down to 25 mgs again??
              Thanks
              Jane
              Jane :heart:

Comment

I'm trying to remember

Topamax has really messed with my brain cells. There is a good joke about having two neurons and a synapse but I can't remember it.

My youngest son often finishes sentences for me and guesses what the "thinga-ma-bob" is.

When he is stumped he will ask me what I want said object for........is it bigger than a bread box?

I have been taking Topamax for four years, 200mg. at bedtime. I take it a bedtime because of the fatigue it causes.

I have been sober for 33 months and never crave alcohol.

I am often at a loss for words, literally, but my children help me. My memory is horrible but I get by. My mind very often just goes blank, in the middle of a thought or task, blank.

My fingers and toes tingled for a few months at the beginning, and so did my head!

I now will sometimes get a chill, out of nowhere, lasting a few minutes...perhaps a spirit passing by, perhaps the Topamax.

Because of the memory issues I tried to titrate down a year or so ago. I took 100 mg. at night for 2 nights and had horrible cravings.

Despite having "little brain" I will take Topamax for as long as I need to.

I take Effexor and Zoloft as well for Major Depression and will take antidepressants forever. I am 51 and post menopausal.

magic xx:schmokin:
                ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                I am in the next seat.
                My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Dang Magic - I was really hoping to take Topomax when my life quieted down when I could handle 3ish months of side effects, not a lifetime. I had also hoped that Topomax would be something you could gradually get off.

Oh well the supps are working well for me now.

Comment

Paddy;163093 wrote: I've been on 225 mgs TOPA (25 mgs increase over my normal dose) for since 23 June. I've been suffering of a probable side effect, which manifests itself by sensitive skin in the area of armpits and top left/right arms (at times really hurting, particularly the right arm), for about 8 or so days. Moreover, my panic attacks are on the comeback ...

It's not all bleak, I'm just considering my options -

1) either going on with the same dose
                    2) or go down with the dosage back to original dosage 200 mgs

Anybody going through similar experiences?
                    So Paddy....sorry to back track a week or so but I've been gone and unable to post...I know you had been dealing with cravings at 200mg and went up to 225 to deal with them...I was at 175 and got a different brand of Topa about the time I shifted up to 200mg and actually noticed an increase in cravings...I am attributing it to the brand of topa but not sure...I'm considering an increase to 225 to see if that drops the cravings back down...I was doing so good and then it seems everything hit a wall and the cravings came back full bore all of a sudden...almost as though the topa stopped working...was it somewhat the same for you?...I want to get things back under control and then try to get back down again.
                    tony
                    :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

n2itiv

Hi!

No, no, everyone is different, I am gaining weight on Topamax! UGH....

Before you say no, try it, you might be fine! You may not have to take it forever.

Don't be discouraged, peek around that corner......

Blessings.

magic xx :heart:
                      ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                      I am in the next seat.
                      My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

n2itiv;165392 wrote: Dang Magic - I was really hoping to take Topomax when my life quieted down when I could handle 3ish months of side effects, not a lifetime. I had also hoped that Topomax would be something you could gradually get off.

Oh well the supps are working well for me now.
                        From what I understand you can eventually taper off Topa but even if not what is worse...the cursed alcohol or Topa....I think the Alcohol demon...it does much more damage.

Comment

Toni,

Sorry to hear this, for starters. I think one big problem for many Topa users here on the boards is that they are using generic Topa from online pharmacies ... I frankly don't trust these. There's been a number of programmes on the BBC regarding shady pharmacies mixing up all kinds of medicines and selling it online ... I don't want to have people panicking on the board, but particularly medicine being shipped from Asia where these thugs can operate freely should be watched out.

My Topa, though purchased here in Vietnam, is being manufactured under license and purchased at the international hospital I go to in Hanoi. Whenever I buy 4 or so boxes, it cost me couple of hundred dollars, which I get back from my insurance company.

Jane,

Sorry to hear about your leg use. If this is the case, you should see a practitioner and ask what the best way forward is. Is it a temporary side effect, which would go away. Or would he/she suggest that you'd titrate down?

As for my progress, well, I slipped on Wednesday, temporarily, but I'm ok now. I went down to my usual 200 mgs. And my cravings are ok. All under control. In fact, I believe 200 mgs is what I plan to stay on for the next months to come.
                          Paddy
                          Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Skin rash was NOT result of Topa

G'day folks,

Just a brief update.

My skin rash, the one I was reporting about, was most probably not a result of the Topa. Partly because it was just locally upper arm, and it's under control now. Anyhow, just wanted you to put your minds at rest.

Best
                            Paddy
                            Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

hey guys. i havent downloaded he book yet, still not home, however i have questions on topomax...

say you want to moderate your drinking, to say four beers on a friday night. does the topamax take away the somewhat "euphoric" feeling from drinking?
                              another question. if you get drunk, and normally i would want to keep going, if youare on the topomx does it change you to feel like non alcoholics and say to yourself, " ok ive had enough?"

Comment

me145;168476 wrote: hey guys. i havent downloaded he book yet, still not home, however i have questions on topomax...

say you want to moderate your drinking, to say four beers on a friday night. does the topamax take away the somewhat "euphoric" feeling from drinking?
                                another question. if you get drunk, and normally i would want to keep going, if youare on the topomx does it change you to feel like non alcoholics and say to yourself, " ok ive had enough?"
                                Good questions but it really depends as it works very differently for everyone. All you can do is try it and see what it does for you but many see the results you describe. Topa works somewhat like a switch for many to turn off the desire to drink.

Comment

Working...
                                X