Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Bumm Vino

Vino I have been following your posts on this thread - and they intercepted your order? How did you find out? I know it is a possibility but haven't seen a post on it until now. Bummmmer. However - I like your idea of now using this as a "systems" check at the DR. It really is frustrating that we don't feel comfortable using our expensive insurance to cover these things. Hopefully somethings going to change here in the USA soon.

I will be interested to see how this turns out for you. Thanks for your kind words on my early AF. It was more of a case of being "scared sober". Looking back I am calling it my Miracle from God. I haven't had one AF day in 10 years before that. (a short AF period 10 years ago) and no AF period days 10 years b-4 that - so ... the MWO with out topa still gets Kutz :H

But I am loving my topa days now - It is just down right wonderful - so this is good for me to know. Keep us posted.

Liv
    AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

starting today

Hi all been reading this thread, tried topas 18 months ago but made me feel awful, so went back to my old ways. But after reading all this going to give it another try, took first one tonight 25mg , like many fed up with the internal argument that goes on in my head about shall i shan't I have a drink and then the shame and guilt next day.can do 3/4 Af days then it all slips so hope the topa can give me the boost to be AF or just have the odd drink now and again, just want this devil off my back. Going to dust off the CD's taking kuduz aswell but not the other supps as I am really drug sensitive . If anybody is still counting I am45 5'1 and weight 120 , don't mind loosing a few pounds but not to many .
      Have got the book but can't put my hand on it at the moment when shuld i up the dose of topa from 25 is it after a week ? and when do i stop upping it ?? when the cravings go completely ? thanks for this x

Comment

daisy - I wouldn't go up more than 25mg a week. it is a very strong drug....

I stopped when I hit that "magic" dose. That is, when I didn't feel the need to drink anymore. Didn't think about drinking....it's different for everyone. I have been playing with my dosage as the higher doses (125mg - 150mg) made me feel AWFUL, to the point where I could not function. I am down to 100mg and am still able to stay away from the AL - am completely AF. So, it's all a matter of how your body reacts. There are certain people who can stop at 50mg and certain people who have to go all the way to 300mg...

Comment

This is a very informative thread! At this point I've read so much I'm getting confused! So far, I've read the book and started the hypno cd's, and I'm taking my regular supplements and I'm doing ok. There seems to be so many options as far as supplements, etc. I guess I'm procrastinating about the Topamax because I don't want to go to the doctor (and I'm pretty cheap!!) Although the weight loss sounds very tempting! What's your opinion--can this be done without the Topamax, and which supplements for sure??? Thank you so much--I hope this is the right place for this post, sorry if it's not!!
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

take KCl for the tingling

Just an quick bit from your friendly neighborhood pharmacist fellow member. If you have problems with the parathesias (tingling in the extremeties), taking an extra potassium chloride supplement can help. take 20-40 mEq of potassium daily, and it can help lessen this side effect. Provided you have normal kidney function, you will just pee out what you don't need....

Comment

Just an update from Paddy. I'm off the Topamax now, and doing fine. I've been tappering down by the 25 mgs per week. No side effects whatsoever. In fact, I'm happy to have found back my witt and my sense of words.

As a reminder for those who just joined this thread: I started Topa in Jan/Feb 2007. The highest dose I've ever been on was 225 mgs, but I couldn't take it - had heart arythmia, panic attacks, etc. My perfect dose was 175 mgs.

Topa does help, but what helps along with it is a supportive partner and avoiding situations and friends that encourage you to drink. Now, I'm back to normal again. Whenever I'm taking part in a function, I don't feel compeled to drink.

But remember, I did not choose moderation (well I did at first). I chose abstinence, as I did relapse several times because of this 'only one drink'. So, since Dec. 14 2007, I had no more drinks. And I can truthfully say the longer the period between now and my last drink, the easier it gets.

Wishing you all the best,

Paddy
              Paddy
              Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Thanks Paddy for the update. This thread has been incredibly helpful to me.
                Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles (Helen Keller)

Comment

Here's a weird thing - and this just may be me. But, I received a generic version of topamax called "Topamac" (with a "c", not an "x") and started taking it. I got the WORST side effects from this. And stayed on it for about 10 days until I could get something else.

I then received "Toporil", which is another generic version and the bad side effects have disappeared. I received this "bad" pill from River Pharmacy. My first order, they gave me the real Topamax. Now, they are only sending me generics.

From now on, I will be ordering from Inhouse Pharmacy because they sell the real thing (I am usually open to generics but seriously, the side effects from that generic pill were terrible!!!! - I felt like I was going to die, I am at the same dosage on the real thing and feel fine).

Comment

This is very helpful, so glad I found it

I'm a 49 yr old female, 174 lbs. Started the program 2 weeks ago. Following the full program . . . supps, hypno CD's, topamax. I'm at 50 mgs topa, will be at 75 mgs. tomorrow. I've cut back on my drinking but haven't felt the no craving yet. Sounds like it hits at a higher dose. I do feel pretty tired which is making it hard for me to start doing some exercising. I hope to work thru this. Any suggestions? Will update weekly. Enjoy learning from the rest of you.

Comment

Hey Sunny,
                      Yes, the cravings do disappear at a higher dosage. My "magic" dose happened at 100mg. Yours may be higher or lower, I think it all depends on the person. For the tiredness, a lot of people take the Adrafinil, that made me speedy. I take my morning dose of topa with my AllOne which helps counterract the side effects. I also found coffee to help.
                      Good luck and stick with it. It really does work!
                      Peace,
                      deb

Comment

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow I start taking my first morning dose so will take it with my All One like you suggest. I usually drink this when I'm getting ready for work. Then I take my other supp's after I eat breakfast around 7:30. When do you take your afternoon dose? I've been taking mine around 2:30ish. Could you tell me again how long you've been doing this? your age? I live in Bonney Lake, WA down near Sumner/Puyallup. Thanks for your words of encouragement. Oh, the Adrafinil you suggested. Was that mentioned in her book? And can that be found locally in stores? or have to be ordered online?

Comment

I just started my 3rd week yesterday and I'm on 75 mgs of topa. I haven't hit my "magic" dose yet as I'm still wanting to have wine at night. However, I'm only drinking 2 glasses or less a night. It doesn't taste as good & I drink it slower than usual so something good is happening. I want to get to where I don't drink at all and I can have a drink when I want to. I'm not having any tingling in the hands or feet or the word loss/memory fuzz. I do have some tiredness but I think it's getting better. I've started taking my 2nd dose of topa in the evening. I'm going to join a gym this week and start working out. I need to do something with my time after work when I would usually come home and start drinking. Hopefully I may meet some new friends and possibly find myself a new man
                          Anyway, hope everyone is doing well out there!! Let me know how you're doing.

Comment

I've ordered Topamax.

This is my first time on the site. A couple of questions. For anyone whose ordered from the River? Pharmacy, how long does it generally take for the meds to arrive?
                            Also, are there any sexual side effects?
                            I don't generally eat 3 meals a day, more like snacking here and there all afternoon and evening, as I work swing shift. Will this be a problem with dosing?

Thanks for any help you can give me.:thanks::thanks:

Comment

I ordered it from River and I think it took about 3 weeks to arrive. I haven't noticed any sexual side effects. I don't think it matters how you eat as I haven't read anything that says you are supposed to take it with meals. Maybe someone else will chime in with a different opinion.
                              Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles (Helen Keller)

Comment

update week 5

My topa update just ending week 5 on topa
                                I went up to 100 mg (50am 50 pm) at the beginning of week 4 - stayed on that dose for 9 days. I did fine on in the first 5 days then started to have mild panic attacks. I also had more caffeine than I had been having so don't know if the 2 had any correlation. The panic attacks worsened over the next few days so on Saturday of that week I dosed back down to 75 mg. (25 in am and 50 in PM) The whole episode has made me re think weather or not I want to stay on the topamax. I am doing ok and may stay at this dose for another week or I may dose down on Saturday again to 50 and stay there. I haven't decided. So my point ... You have NO idea what your body will do on this drug until you are on it. DO NOT HAVE ANY PRECONCEIVED PLAN. You just have to listen to your body and be smart about it.

I'll update again

Vino grrl - just wondering how your Dr. visit went and how you are doing now??

Liv
                                AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Working...
                                X