Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Hi -
    Here's my spattering of scattered thoughts: If you can do it with a dr's prescription, do it that way because the side effects can be varied and weird enough that someone will be aware of the full medical/pharmaceutical picture. Also, I've been told that you can't be certain about what you're really getting when you order online. Also, if you have insurance and it's only a copay, it's cheaper - but if you have to pay out-of-pocket, it's pretty expensive. Maybe the #1 reason, however, is that I'd hate to go to my dr. with a problem and have to say "By the way, I'm taking Topamax." On the other hand, if I were the dr., I'd be delighted if my patient were motivated enough to want to try that. However, I've been in similar situations where what I've gotten was A Lecture.

Comment

I'm up to 75mg of Topamax and am really starting to notice a difference in craving. Out of habit, I will think about drinking and drink some, but I have only gotten drunk three times in August. Prior to Topamax that would have been reversed. It's difficult to explain, but that compulsion to drink is lifting. I've been enjoying my evenings sober and my mornings not hung over. Also, I've been trying whole-heartedly to take my multitude of vitamins that RJ recommends in her book. I go back to the doctor in a few weeks to let him know how my first month on Topamax went, and I will be telling him that I think it has been a great success. I dose up to 100mg a day in two days. I never planned on going AF, but that very well could be the outcome because of how much the Topamax is helping in this process. Good luck everyone.

Julie

Comment

I am 89 days AF and have just recently found the site. I take my antabuse in order to keep myself from making a wrong impulsive choice. I still have that daily craving to drink. My goal is abstinence because I know with these cravings I won't stop at one or two. Have been thinking about trying Topa to help with the cravings but I am worried about the cognitive side effects. Due to my job I can't be making any mistakes. Is it just substituting words and fatigue? Or do people get confused and forgetful ? I would appreciate any advice.

Comment

I have some fatigue, but probably no more than I had when I was hung over on a daily basis. Cognitively speaking, I haven't noticed anything dramatic yet, but I am off of work for the summer so we'll see how things go when I'm back to work. I just started taking Neuro-PS (Phosphatidylserine 100mg). The owner of our local vitamin store recommended it. It's supposed to help with brain function, mental focus, and memory. I decided to add it to my vitamin regiment just as a precaution. I've done a lot of reading up on the Topamax, and the side effects are varied. Google it, but don't let that alarm you. Not everyone suffers from side effects. The positive aspect of this drug for me is that it does help take away the craving. Major kudos to you for 89 days AF. That's fantastic.

Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie. I already have done much reading on it which is why I am hesitant to take it. It did alarm me. Some people seem really affected by it. On the other hand many have said it helps with cravings. Oh, how I would like the cravings to go away. I will write down the Nuero PS just in case I decide to start it. Thanks

Comment

Just a brief note to tell you that having seen the results I had, my doctor has prescribed Topa for alcohol dependence to a number of patients.

I have been off the booze for 8 months now. I am no longer required to take Topa either. My old wits are back with me now.

Best wishes to those who are on Topa. For me it will always be a miracle drug ...
              Paddy
              Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Paddy;381576 wrote: Just a brief note to tell you that having seen the results I had, my doctor has prescribed Topa for alcohol dependence to a number of patients.

I have been off the booze for 8 months now. I am no longer required to take Topa either. My old wits are back with me now.

Best wishes to those who are on Topa. For me it will always be a miracle drug ...
                So far (4 weeks) it's been a miracle drug for me too. I started feeling a reduction in craving the second week at 50mg and now at 75 mg I'm drinking the way I want to -- 1 or 2 glasses a night or socially with no urge for more. I have had NO side effects except insomnia which went away when I took it earlier in the day. I'm sticking to 75 mg.

I read this whole thread before getting the courage to order it from River (my dr.wouldn't prescribe it "off label") so I'm very gratefu to you.

Betts

Comment

Hi all,

Well, I think I may have found the dosage that works as that magic number for me. I recently upped my Topamax to 125mg. Today as I was wandering the grocery store isles looking for dinner options, I ended up in the liquor department--out of habit, more than likely. I didn't even think about my usual bottle of wine. In the past three weeks, I've only had a bottle of wine once. I thought fleetingly about picking up a small bottle of rum to mix up some pina coladas, but ended up leaving with nothing! To drinkers without a problem this may seem like no big deal, but the grocery store was always an excuse to grab a bottle or two of wine, and I went to the grocery store quite often. So for me, it was a huge big deal.

In the past month that I've been dosing up on Topa, I've switched from wine to beer (which I don't like a whole lot) and I've only drank a few in one sitting, not to the point of drunkedness and not daily. Today was a milestone.I was facing a boring evening, I hadn't had even a beer in a few days, yet I had no desire to buy alcohol.

I go back to the doctor at the beginning of September. I'm one of the first patients that he's prescribed Topamax for. For me, it's working. I take it twice a day, never miss a dose. Just over a month ago, I was drinking a bottle of wine every night at least five times a week. Topamax has given me the major boost that I needed to get a handle on this addiction. It's affectiveness kind of sneaks up on you. In past few weeks I've still thought about drinking. I've still drank. I just haven't gotten drunk. Today was the first time that I didn't want to buy alcohol. I'm still amazed by that! I know that I'll continue to take Topamax as long as my doctor will prescribe it (and if for some reason he wouldn't prescribe it, I'd order online). Good luck everyone!

Julie

Comment

This thread is a great source for topa info.

Comment

Larisa, Thanks for bumping this. I should have thought of that because I keep on mentioning this thread. Dingy from the Topa perhaps? =)

Comment

That's what I keep blaming everything on!!! Hehe.

Comment

Hi all,

I just bumped up to 200mg of Topa. Still not completely alcohol free, but am in a far better place than I was a few months back. Lately, stress has me falling back on the old habit of a few glasses of wine occasionaly to "relax". That's why bumped up to 200mg. Topamax has been a tremendous help for me. I've discovered that I love being hangover free. My mornings are actually pleasant, I certainly don't miss that constant sense of guilt and anxiety that plagued me when I was drinking pretty much daily. Good luck everyone!

Comment

treatment for topamax side effects

Does anyone know of treatment to help with the brain fog? I am starting a new job and would like to start on topomax but am concerned about it will interfer with work. Any thoughts?

Comment

smantha, read this thread. There are a number of posts with suggestions.

I'm now at 125 with little or no brain fog. I think. LOL

Comment

FYI,

I was just on Drugs.com checking Topa drug interactions. I recommend doing that because it reacts badly to about a hundred different drugs. One of them is alcohol.

It also said that the maximun recommended dose is 50 mg per day.

I don't know myself- just another data point to throw out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X