TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey vodkaweekness, i too just started topa and immiediately, was surprised first day, did feel SOMETHING. ive almost been on it a week now. i havent TRIED to be af anyday yet, however, each day i drank i drank slower and less and each time i went out to eat and had say two beers or two glasses of wine with dinner, normally id come home and stop at the liquor store but told myself no and it wasnt a fight really-just rather easy. in the past saying no was the hardest thing. and this is only at 25mg! im in shock and soooooooo damn happy and excited you have no idea..... i feel ive been sleeping better, but im not sure if its this or that. i have insomnia and imj off and on with my sleeping problems. as far as other side effects, i was scared first few days i had agitation, depression seemed worse, irratability. thank GOOOOOOD the depressionwent away. because that is a problem i could not live with. the irrability and agitation and easily annoyed at little things such as crying babies, tv to loud, stupid things are definitely bothering me, but that is such a minimal side effect in my mind. let me know how u do. do u feel the pill takes away the pleasure of the alcohols effects? does it dull the way alcohol feels to you? im not quite sure, i think possibly a bit, b ut not much. then againonly 25mg im on.

Comment

Hi all:

I have been taking the topa now for about two months and notice that I have a lot of swelling in my legs and actually gain weight--probably due to water retention. Has anyone else noticed this and is this normal? I have reduced the amount of my drinking, have been able to go up to 14 days AF and then blow it again. However, whenever I do drink, it is considerable less. So, that is one good side effect for me. Just curious about the swelling in lower legs and feet. Thanks for responses!

Comment

lost in texas, no havent gained or had swelling, rather odd. topa has such so many different side effects and sometimes their odd ones. what dosage aere you on? when did you start to see a difference? im still on 25 and i only feel so far that i drink slower, my cravings to drink nightly are still there, but i drink slower for sure.

Comment

I'm so glad members are still posting on this thread. Thanks vodkaweekness and Me 1455. i just ordered my topa and hypno Cds. I purchased the book and supps in Nov. I even felt better taking the supps (possibly the Kudzo). Through the holidays I fell off my supps, stopped working out and felt worse and worse about myself - so I drank more. I'm waiting for my Topa. I have been very nervous starting the Topa - all its sideeffects. But my alcohol consumption is also scarey! Right now for me, the risks out weight my consumption. I want to be AF!!! I want to have 30 days. I know I couldn't do 30 days AF without some help. I haven't been AF for 20 days in 6 years!! I need to give my body a break. Waiting for supps and topa. Where did you get your Topa from?

Comment

I started in October with Topa and all the recommended vitamins but wasn't faithful to the CD's or exercise. I've had no liquor since a few days after starting the program and only 3 glasses of wine. I also started Chantix and quit cigarettes at the same time. My family Dr. and I backed off once I reached 200 mG because of my mental side effects. Now I am still taking 100 mG, wondering where to go from here. Do I just stay on this stuff forever? Should I back down to 50 mG? Do people go off of it completely then continue with their success or their cravings come right back? I saw that LFB has been on it since 2006.

Comment

Hi Jimbeam,
              I'm new. I haven't received my Topa yet. (I did order it on-line with out Dr. script) I'm working my way thought reading all the posts of Paddy's Topa survey. It is an old thread, but there is still great info. and inspiration.
              Can I ask, what where the mental effects you experienced?
              Some people (that I've read on the Topa survey) have stayed on the Topa for a year. Most say the supps and vitamins (All One) is very helpful.
              I've even read some people have had help with cravings while taking L-glute and GABA.
              Hope that helps.

Comment

Here were my mental side effects that began at 200 mG of Topamax (I never went over that): mathematical skills plummeted, concentration decreased, mood swings, irritibility, libido drop, felt like "I didn't know where I was." I did use the powdered All one and vitamins, but was never really sure which part of the regimen helped with the cravings, but something did the trick.

After week 8, I stopped all of the pills except for the Topamax because I got tired of taking so much "stuff." My cravings never really came back, so it's impossible to say if I would've had equal results with the Topamax alone.

Good Luck Bird.

Comment

side effects of topomax

I just started on 25 mg of topomax and I am feeling a little down. Not sure if it is the topomax or if it is one of the supplements. Has anyone had this experience and does it go away or get worse as you dose up? I am also on 20 mg of prozac for mild depression.

Comment

thanks jimbeam for the reply. Great job on quitting smoking! I've been ciggie free for one year and don't miss it. I used the patches and had a couple of uncomfortable days but so happy I've quit! I've heard Chantix is also helpful with alcohol cravings also.
                    You should be proud of yourself tackling both the AL and ciggies!
                    I do understand what you mean about "not wanting to take anymore pills". Sometimes I have to force myself. I did purchase the All in One pills (I have to take 4!) because the powder was not to my liking. So, I take a lot of supps.
                    thanks again for the reply.

Comment

CTQ,
                      Does your Dr. know you're on both meds? Watch your interaction with the meds. I hope you're feeling better.

Comment

i am on 25mg of the topa and i to and questioning if i feel a tad bitmore down than usual, and NO its not alcohol withdrawel.. i still am having a few each night havent really reduced yet.. i hear it can worsen depression and i know i prone to that.. does thtis side effect go away? anyone know?

Comment

CQT and ME1455,
                          I am so glad to find others just starting out with the topa. I started last Thursday and I have really noticed a couple of things. I had a beer on Friday night and could not finish it due to the taste. I use to really like beer however, i like wine alot more. The last two nights I have had less than 2 glasses. I don't know if it is in my head or if this is really working on 25mg but I will take whatever it is. This is the first weekend that I can remember not waking up hungover...it felt great. I am having none of the tingling etc. Let me know how it goes this week for you and I will keep you posted. Let's hope this is the end to the maddness.

Comment

Hi CQT, ME1455 and DMB,
                            i'm so glad people are posting here. I go to pick up my Topa today!!! Very excited. I'm going to be doing the CDs and supps along with the Topa. Signed up for a boot camp class today.
                            Are you doing the supps with the Topa?
                            Have you read this whole thread? (its very long)
                            I've read possibly half of it. Lots of good info even if it is a little old.
                            Good luck to all and keep me (us) posted on your journeys.

Comment

Zenstyle and Birdofp,
                              i feel like we should start a new thread for those of us just starting out. This is a wonderful resourse however, there is so much here to read and we are all just taking those first steps.
                              Z, you will win the fight if you stay here and fight it with us every day. I am at 25mg and go up to 50mg on Thursday. I am excited to see if that makes a big difference. The 25mg has made some but I am ready to move on.
                              So, let me know what you both think about a new thread....hang in there.

Comment

im in!

Comment

Working...
                                X