still needing advice on meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I am still finding myself feeling still confused about the meds. I am on Topo, self prescribed. I went back to 25 mg once a day to start over since I had increased faster than I should have but am not seeing much change. I have terrible hair loss which quite frankly is adding to my problems as is the weight GAIN, not loss. I am much more emotional than I was off f it but that could be due to not drinking too I guess. I think I need to stop taking it and look at starting something else. My drinking is decreased, I slip now and then but my emotional status is falling fast due mostly to weight gain: any thoughts?

Well some swear by Neurontin. I have read some interesting things about it that I like but I am not switching now. Not sure how pricey it is but you can definitely order it online. Not sure how doctors are about prescribing this one. Never asked.

Campral. It seems to help some. I think it's garbage but if it works great. Even my well educated and published counselor thinks it's all placebo. He's not an M.D. but he is well versed on this one.

There's naltrexone. It did not help me much but it does for others. I hear great things about vivitrol which is the shot of naltrexone but it's ungodly expensive. It lasts 3-4 weeks. Your doc can give you either of these. I think it's expensive online. It might help you.

There's baclofen. It's not expensive. You can get it easily or some doctors will help you including Dr. L.
    It worked for me and others. Be aware there are SE's. I still deal with somnolence like crazy. It's tough and there are times I consider lowering my dosage even more. Maybe even see how life is without it now.

Again though, baclofen really can work. It's just a beast and you have to commit to it. I don't think you will see weight gain on that one. I really suggest other meds to go with it like benzos. They help with SE's and even Dr. L would suggest that.

You have options out there. Others will weigh in I am sure.

I can help more, let me know or PM me. I am tied up with business trips and laying people off. Lot's of fun.

Comment

Oh and baclofen does help with anxiety.
      Did not help me much when I had to do public speaking in front of a hundred VP's the other day but oh well.

Comment

COS! Great to hear from you.

Neurontin/Gabapentin seems like it might be a first-line med these days. I only have experience with 1 pdoc in this regard, but 1st words out of his mouth were piles of Gabapentin combined with nal. Even sent me home with about a dozen 'pentin to try out.

Comment

Thanks Stuck.
          Gaba/Nal does sound like a good combo.
          Maybe I will try it just for funzies.

Comment

dr.L

I suppose I should know but who is Dr. l?

Comment

Another question I have is how long are most on these meds? Forever"

Comment

Sorry, Dr Levin. He's out of Chicago. PM me if you want his contact info. He only works with Baclofen.

I can't speak to Gabapentin. Naltrexone I don't think is a lifetime drug.

Baclofen I think depends on the person. Dr L says forever. Some drop down in dosage. Some completely stop. You can always start it back up.

Comment

Working...
                X