bac and the anxious edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bac and the anxious edge

I've suffered from anxiety my entire adult life, and one thing that really jumped out at me from Dr. Amesien's book was his description of the comorbid anxiety. In particular, the way it took two forms- a manic state in which he overestimated his abilities in a frenzy and a paranoid state in which he worried that others were conspiring to unmask him as a fake.

That, to a T, describes the state of my anxiety. For example, sometimes I latch onto an idea like a software or a music project and my enthusiasm grows like compound interest (and beyond my means to achieve it). This hyperexcited state might get my creative juices flowing, but I can never sustain it long enough to actually produce anything. (And when you're writing software or composing music, you've got to be patient enough to have direction and iron out your mistakes, hence why my accomplishments in these realms have been minimal). I get worked up to the point of feeling like I'm going to explode and feel like I need alcohol in order to calm down enough to actually do anything. We all know how that turns out...

On the other end of the spectrum, there's the paranoid anxiety. For months I suspected at times that people at work were conspiring to fire me for underperforming. Every time a door was closed with a conversation going on behind it, I assumed I was being sized up and plotted against. I felt lucky to make it through the day and couldn't wait to drown my sorrows in 4-5 beers when I got home. As long as I was drunk I didn't have to worry about it.

I'm throwing this out there because Dr. Amesien specifically stated that the baclofen resolved his underlying anxiety as well as his alcohol use. I'm particularly interested in finding out whether the above descriptions strike a chord with anyone here and whether bac has helped with both positive and negative types of anxiety issues for them.

Hopefully, bac will get me on a more even keel. As things stand now, I can barely stand the intensity of being sober.

Cheers!

bac and the anxious edge

Welcome! I can identify with what you are saying for sure. I would be hesitant to rely only on medication to relieve you of your anxiety though. Exercise helps a lot by giving you energy and making you feel better about yourself. When you are feeling good about yourself, you will find that you will start feeling that others see you in the same light (and they probably will, if only subconsiously). Meditation can help as well, it can teach you to quiet your mind and the chaos within. It is a skill that I have learned and am able to carry with me to anxiety producing situations. Finally, if you are in a medical marijuana state, I would encourage you to get a recommendation. I have, and it can help me to just let go, laugh, and just enjoy the moment. Best of all, there is no hangover These things, at least, have been my personal experience, your mileage may vary.

Since you mentioned Dr. A, I would have to assume that you are planning to try Baclofen. I have been taking baclofen since last May and I am currently taking 200mg / day. I have found that it has made my cravings for alcohol go away a lot. It has also helped with anxiety, probably because it makes me a little spacey, but not too bad. Today, I had probably the best day I have had in a very long time. All day, I felt like Peter Gibbons from Office Space after he is hypnotized. I also did not drink at all today. I don't post much, but I read quite a bit. Whatever you do, good luck and I'm sure you will find the group here supportive.
    My My Livejournal

Comment

Working...
    X