Quick AB question - didn't see it easily on a single thread somewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could find a single place where how to use AB - tips etc were all in one place without all other stuff so we could make a sticky but in the meantime - my box of AB is supposed to arrive today and I wanted to test for understanding - maybe this will help someone else as well....

1) AL has to be out of your system a period of time before you start taking AB. (Day 11 so no worries here)
    2) How long in your experience before AB kicks in and drinking AL is no longer an option?
    3) How long in your experience after stopping AB before it is possible to safely have a drink should you choose to do so?

Those where the 3 questions I thought would make up a good AB sticky - but long time AB users would probably have more things they might want to append that they think should go in that I have not thought of.
    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
    Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
    AF - August 20, 2012

Prairie Fairy;1371570 wrote: I wish I could find a single place where how to use AB - tips etc were all in one place without all other stuff so we could make a sticky but in the meantime - my box of AB is supposed to arrive today and I wanted to test for understanding - maybe this will help someone else as well....

1) AL has to be out of your system a period of time before you start taking AB. (Day 11 so no worries here)
    2) How long in your experience before AB kicks in and drinking AL is no longer an option?
    3) How long in your experience after stopping AB before it is possible to safely have a drink should you choose to do so?

Those where the 3 questions I thought would make up a good AB sticky - but long time AB users would probably have more things they might want to append that they think should go in that I have not thought of.
    Hi Prairie
    Not been on it long but this is what I found :
    AL has to be out of your system a period of time before you start taking AB. (Day 11 so no worries here) - 24 hours
    2) How long in your experience before AB kicks in and drinking AL is no longer an option? - Straight away I believe - not going to risk it
    3) How long in your experience after stopping AB before it is possible to safely have a drink should you choose to do so? - not sure but pack says 7 days

Comment

Hi PF!

I have been on AB for a while now...well on and off, currently on. They say not to take an AB for 12-24 hours since your last drink so you are ok. As soon as you take an AB you cannot drink. And if you choose to stop taking AB and drink, in my experience it depends on how long you have been taking it, but I think rule of thumb is at least 5 days until you can drink, but still may experience some SE's.

I have drank on AB and it is NOT a good thing. One becomes EXTREMELY flushed, lobster red and rash, very hard time breathing, severe dizziness, very bad stomach truobles like food poisioning. These are just a few I have experienced.

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing!!
      "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

YAY!

So - if I tear open the package when it gets delivered - and pop one - there is no more bargaining with my immediate impulse control. It's off the table.

Ok - well - come on post office - deliver this puppy.
        That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Yep, so go for it. I take mine every morning with my vitamin so there is not debate later in the day.

Best to you!!!
          "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Oh, and just an FYI on the AB....it has given some people some tummy troubles for the first few days...so just beware of that...it goes away after 4 or 5 days.

Comment

Good to know!

Someone mentioned to me they got:
              ~ metallic taste in the mouth - for 4 -5 days
              ~ extra sleepy at night for the first 4 - 5 days

Is this something you both experienced?
              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Hi PF!

Here's my experience:

Alcohol has to be out of your system 12 hours before taking Antabuse.

The pill "kicks in" right away...as soon as you take it you CANNOT drink.

It takes anywhere from 3-14 days for the Antabuse to clear your system, depending on how long you've been taking it and how much. At day 4-5, I have experienced moderate symptoms (flushing of face, arms and neck, headache, general feeling of wanting to crawl out of my skin). At day 3, I wanted to die....DON'T DO IT! Please learn from my mistakes and do not attempt to drink on AB!!!

Metallic taste in mouth: Yes, slightly, but it goes away.

Tiredness: Yes...again, it does go away, don't worry about it! Rest as much as you can (good excuse to take a nap...lol)

I hope those pills come quickly for you!!

K9
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Ok - as I mentioned to K-9 elsewhere -

Package came - and because I'd been arguing with the AL lizard brain all morning about just one more bender before I went on AB - I decided to head the lizard brain off at the pass and slam a pill before it won.

Now the lizard brain can get screwed. It lost. No drinking. No matter what. Welcome to enforced impulse control.

Day 11. Is now officially locked down. As is the next several days.

We now have to ride out the cravings. And the the tireds. And the mood swings. But I don't have to argue with myself in bed whether I have need to get the car keys and head to the liquor store for a bottle of wine. Because - I don't. I can't.

So - time to learn some new coping skills ladies and gentleman. Without the idea that drinking on impulse is one of them. Because as of 10 minutes ago - it's off the table.

I looked at that pill like it was a snake but I slammed it anyway.
                  AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Prairie Fairy;1371736 wrote: I looked at that pill like it was a snake but I slammed it anyway.
                    Soon you will look at it with appreciation once you realize it's giving you your life back....once the switch from deprivation to appreciation kicks in, it's like night and day. I don't say "I can't drink!"...I say "I don't have to drink" (and I'm also trying to apply that to smokes). It's liberating to not be enslaved to anything.

So glad you took the pill....

Just remember, it's physically impossible for you to even get drunk now...so no need to think about it! YAY! Treat yourself to a good dinner tonight
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

HUH -I forgot that not only would I get sick - but I actually can't get drunk.

There you go. Another thing to remember...

I think instead of a good dinner - I'm getting pizza from my favorite pizza joint...
                      AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

:goodjob: PF!!!

Comment

I feel like I just got the AL equivalent of a gastric bypass.

I might want that creme brulee - but having it will make me sick. So - no creme brulee.
                          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

I know this is from over a week ago, but Prairie Fairy, I just started Antabuse today, only I wasn't as smart as you about it. I did go out last night and have one last bender. And what do I have to show for it?

1. One more wicked hangover, to add to my collection of hundreds.
                            2. Yet another day of calling in sick (luckily I was owed a comp day from working over the weekend, so it's not quite so bad).
                            3. An embarrassing Facebook post, put up at 2 am, that I had to erase at 8 am and hope not too many people had seen.
                            4. A night that was wholly unremarkable... and probably would have been much more fun had I stayed sober instead of getting trashed and obnoxious.

So... if you ever doubt your decision to just slam the Antabuse as soon as you got it: DON'T! It is totally what I should have done. I'm not going to wallow in regret over it... it's the past now and I'm onboard at this point... but I do want to give you props for making the better decision!

Comment

I'm glad I am back on Antabuse now, and getting my family to supervise me taking it so it's too awkward to chicken out of. I haven't really missed alcohol in the 5 days I've been on Antabuse so far and detoxing at home, and I'm nearly down to not taking any Valium for the detox now.

Comment

Working...
                              X