Baclofen: 3 Years Sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole thing is impossible. Three years ago a 20 year stretch of 10+ drinks a night came to a dead stop. Just stopped, dead in its tracks. Baclofen stopped it. Antabuse stopped it. I stopped it.

Like every other alcoholic, I never really believed I could live without drinking. It was so ingrained in my life; as necessary as food, as needed as breath, as wanted as love. Every morning, as the shower slowly brought me back to life, I swore I was done, and every night I found myself making my usual run (alternating between liquor stores because I was far too embarrassed to buy my standard amount at the same one every night). I was 45, the disease was progressing, and I knew exactly how my story would end.

When you're young you can do anything. I drank every night and earned college degrees by day. Six packs, successful careers, six minute miles. Get drunk, bounce out of bed and go kick ass. No baggy eyes or shiny red face. No big gut or quivering hands. I can do this forever.

No I can't.

In my mid 30's the toll began to mount. I suddenly didn't look near as athletic. My face looked different somehow; a bit bloated with puffy eyes. My hands and fingers began to tremble. I couldn't hold a pen still anymore. I sweat, especially when I ate. I was always anxious. Every time I took my blood pressure at the grocery store it was high. I was way too tired to work out.

In my 40's everything got exponentially worse. Overall anxiety skyrocketed. Random bruises began to appear in unexplainable places. Hangover sick days became common place. Job performance nose dived. My house of cards was a summer breeze from collapse.

Of course I had tried to quit many times along the way. A month here and there, sometimes two. It always started out with the same feeling of euphoria, and it always ended with the same, "What the hell, I feel like getting drunk." I could never commit to AA. Perhaps I was too embarrassed, or thought it wouldn't work, or didn't want it to. Who knows? I was only sure of one thing..I was fucked.

Then along came Ameisen with his baclofen and this forum in June, 2009. I sputtered hard in the beginning like many of you. I titrated up full tilt and quickly got slammed by every side effect in the book. The memory loss was the worst. Hours of lecture would pass (I teach math), the board would be full, the class listening, when suddenly I would snap back existence. What had I said? I would jokingly ask my aid how the lecture went. "Great" she would say. I wasn't joking though because I didn't remember a goddamned thing.

I had to back off. Unfortunately that meant more cravings and more drinking. Problem is more drinking while on high dose baclofen is like WAY more drinking, at least hangover wise. This is where Antabuse saved me. It gave me the ability to stop drinking so I could ratchet up the baclofen.

On November 13th, 2009 I quit altogether. I got very lucky. My cravings became manageable at 150mg per day, which in retrospect seems pretty low. All side effects disappeared by December. I stayed at 150 for 2 1/2 years, too scared to move down. Six months ago I decided to decrease slowly, settling down to 100, and thankfully feeling exactly the same. I still take 125mg of Antabuse every morning. I probably always will.

No doubt this will sound funny but I give big time credit to something else for my continued sobriety: Golf. Many on the forum wonder what life will be like without alcohol. I was left with a huge void. All that time spent drunk or hungover was suddenly free. I now use a big chunk of it on the links (but still suck). Seriously, find something fun.

That's it. If you're considering baclofen, go for it. If you're already in, stick with it. Three years of sobriety speaks for itself.

Three years. Impossible.

PhotoMan

What an inspiring story, photo man.
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Well done Photo man great work :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Another success story and still the medical world remains thick-skinned.
        Keep sober! Three thumbs up! ;-)
        Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

That rocks. Great job! 150mg is a great threshold. Try to stay with it.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

You just made my day PhotoMan!

Baclofen has worked wonders for me in such a short period of time that I've often been afraid that it might be a temporary fix and soon I'll return to my painful binges, sort of like the movie Awakenings with Robert DeNiro. But you're story gives me joy and hope. I'll take three years anyday!

I'd love to hear from others that have been beast free for an extended period of time.

Cheers!

Day 119 on Bac – 100mg
            Binge Free - 91 days

Comment

Congrats Photoman! And thanks for posting.

Comment

Lovely to hear.........may you have many,many more happy years

Comment

Thanks for posting, I was wanting to hear success stories, stories of hope with regard to addiction. My husband is at 280 mg, he thinks he hit his switch. He is so ecstatic to be free from the cravings everyday. He had a moment of peace (I'll ask him to describe it when he's awake & repost it). Right now he is wondering if he should go down, how long to stay at 280 mg.. If he has hit this "switch" Olivier Ameisan described. It was a new journey undertaken (at times titrating up 20 mg every 3 days until about 200 mg when the side effects were too prohibitive and concerning (blindness in an eye, falling on ice, mentally) and started doing 20 mg a week instead). I feel he's come this far & should maybe just keep going up to 300-340 mg or so (as much as he can go) to be sure. He's already up so high that why not try to make sure the switch of indifference is hit.

What do you all think? He wanted to come on here to get some help on what to do.

I can relate with what to do with your time. My time was consumed with the crack addiction he was suffering too and praying and believing for victory and fighting. It hit me, almost tinged with extremely misplaced fear, that what if this baclofen really does work & the horrific nightmare over (concerning the crack), there would be a new open landscape of life and possibilities, somewhat reminding me of resembling the wide open Alaskan terrain (or more truly something even more beautiful). How I found the baclofen is after years of prayer and faith and I hope God's doing. We have yet to tell what the future holds, but I continue to have hope it is deliverance from the devils candy, as they call it.

PhotoMan;1408201 wrote: The whole thing is impossible. Three years ago a 20 year stretch of 10+ drinks a night came to a dead stop. Just stopped, dead in its tracks. Baclofen stopped it. Antabuse stopped it. I stopped it.

Like every other alcoholic, I never really believed I could live without drinking. It was so ingrained in my life; as necessary as food, as needed as breath, as wanted as love. Every morning, as the shower slowly brought me back to life, I swore I was done, and every night I found myself making my usual run (alternating between liquor stores because I was far too embarrassed to buy my standard amount at the same one every night). I was 45, the disease was progressing, and I knew exactly how my story would end.

When you're young you can do anything. I drank every night and earned college degrees by day. Six packs, successful careers, six minute miles. Get drunk, bounce out of bed and go kick ass. No baggy eyes or shiny red face. No big gut or quivering hands. I can do this forever.

No I can't.

In my mid 30's the toll began to mount. I suddenly didn't look near as athletic. My face looked different somehow; a bit bloated with puffy eyes. My hands and fingers began to tremble. I couldn't hold a pen still anymore. I sweat, especially when I ate. I was always anxious. Every time I took my blood pressure at the grocery store it was high. I was way too tired to work out.

In my 40's everything got exponentially worse. Overall anxiety skyrocketed. Random bruises began to appear in unexplainable places. Hangover sick days became common place. Job performance nose dived. My house of cards was a summer breeze from collapse.

Of course I had tried to quit many times along the way. A month here and there, sometimes two. It always started out with the same feeling of euphoria, and it always ended with the same, "What the hell, I feel like getting drunk." I could never commit to AA. Perhaps I was too embarrassed, or thought it wouldn't work, or didn't want it to. Who knows? I was only sure of one thing..I was fucked.

Then along came Ameisen with his baclofen and this forum in June, 2009. I sputtered hard in the beginning like many of you. I titrated up full tilt and quickly got slammed by every side effect in the book. The memory loss was the worst. Hours of lecture would pass (I teach math), the board would be full, the class listening, when suddenly I would snap back existence. What had I said? I would jokingly ask my aid how the lecture went. "Great" she would say. I wasn't joking though because I didn't remember a goddamned thing.

I had to back off. Unfortunately that meant more cravings and more drinking. Problem is more drinking while on high dose baclofen is like WAY more drinking, at least hangover wise. This is where Antabuse saved me. It gave me the ability to stop drinking so I could ratchet up the baclofen.

On November 13th, 2009 I quit altogether. I got very lucky. My cravings became manageable at 150mg per day, which in retrospect seems pretty low. All side effects disappeared by December. I stayed at 150 for 2 1/2 years, too scared to move down. Six months ago I decided to decrease slowly, settling down to 100, and thankfully feeling exactly the same. I still take 125mg of Antabuse every morning. I probably always will.

No doubt this will sound funny but I give big time credit to something else for my continued sobriety: Golf. Many on the forum wonder what life will be like without alcohol. I was left with a huge void. All that time spent drunk or hungover was suddenly free. I now use a big chunk of it on the links (but still suck). Seriously, find something fun.

That's it. If you're considering baclofen, go for it. If you're already in, stick with it. Three years of sobriety speaks for itself.

Three years. Impossible.

PhotoMan

Comment

Thanks for posting, I was wanting to hear success stories, stories of hope with retarted to addiction. My husband is at 280 mg, he thinks he hit his switch. He is so ecstatic to be free from the cravings everyday. He had a moment of peace (I'll ask him to describe it when he's awake & repost it). Right now he is wondering if he should go down, how long to stay at 280 mg.. If he has hit this "switch" Olivier Ameisan described. It was a new journey undertaken (at times titrating up 20 mg every 3 days until about 200 mg when the side effects were too prohibitive and concerning (blindness in an eye, falling on ice, mentally) and started doing 20 mg a week instead). I feel he's come this far & should maybe just keep going up to 300-340 mg or so (as much as he can go) to be sure. He's already up so high that why not try to make sure the switch of indifference is hit.

What do you all think? He wanted to come on here to get some help on what to do.

I can relate with what to do with your time. My time was consumed with the crack addiction he was suffering too and praying and believing for victory and fighting. It hit me, almost tinged with extremely misplaced fear, that what if this baclofen really does work & the horrific nightmare over concerning the crack, there would be a new open landscape of life and possibilities, somewhat reminding me of resembling the wide open Alaskan terrain (or more truly something even more beautiful). How I found the baclofen is after years of prayer and faith and I hope God's doing. We have yet to tell what the future holds, but I continue to have hope it is deliverance from the devils candy, as they call it.

PhotoMan;1408201 wrote: The whole thing is impossible. Three years ago a 20 year stretch of 10+ drinks a night came to a dead stop. Just stopped, dead in its tracks. Baclofen stopped it. Antabuse stopped it. I stopped it.

No I can't.

Three years. Impossible.

PhotoMan

Comment

Matthew, you might want to put that in a separate thread, you will get a better response.
                      01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Photo, that was a great read and post for the forum. I could identify with it so much and i would drink nearly the same as you, 11+ drinks a night. I'm 30 myself and at 35 i would see myself in the exact same position or worse when you were 35. So it was interesting reading your story as it was like playing out my life going forward if i had not found baclofen.
                        01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Photoman,

Thanks for your post. I know it's worked for me for over a year, but it's always so good for me to see those with big chunks of time sharing their success. 😎

Comment

Thanks for the uplifting story! I look forward to the same success you've achieved.

Comment

Working...
                            X