Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen: a 2-year observational study of 100 patients just published

Hi @all,

I have good news. A few days ago, an article in ?Frontiers in Psychiatry? has been published:?Suppression of alcohol dependence using baclofen: a 2-year observational study of 100 patients?

Results: While all patients were rated ?at high risk? at baseline, approximately half of them were rated ?at low risk? at 3, 6, 12, and 24 months. The sum of patients who were at ?low risk? and at ?moderate risk? (improved patients) was 84% at 3 months, 70% at 6 months, 63% at 1 year, and 62% at 2 years. The constancy of improvement over the 2-years was remarkable. The average maximal dose of baclofen taken was 147 mg/day. Ninety-two percentage of patients reported that they experienced the craving-suppressing effect of baclofen. Significant relationships were found between the amount in grams of alcohol taken before treatment and the maximal dose of baclofen required, and between the existence of a mental disorder and a lesser effect of baclofen.
    DonQuixote
    My German forum: www.forum-baclofen.com / My general informations: www.baclofen.wiki

Great find Don.

"In case of ineffectiveness, the treatment was increased by 30 mg/week during the following weeks. " That is considerably faster than the conventional wisdom on MWO. Hmmmm.

Comment

Colin;1424401 wrote: Great find Don.

"In case of ineffectiveness, the treatment was increased by 30 mg/week during the following weeks. " That is considerably faster than the conventional wisdom on MWO. Hmmmm.
      The instructions that come with the (my) baclofen (Ratiopharm) say 15 mg every 3rd day, which is roughly 30 mg/week.
      Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Don. I think for anyone out there who doesn't know how to titrate bac, or doesn't have a doc they're working with, that maybe they could look and use the titration schedule the researchers wrote about as a general guide. I still think bac titration is an individual thing, but having a guide helps a ton. They wrote exactly how they advised the patients to titrate. Just thinking for a few of you out there who are struggling with titration without a doctor. :l
        This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Thanks, Don. It is really appreciated that you continue to share information here with us.
          I haven't taken a good look at the article, but look forward to doing that soon.

For those that can't use the link, here's the introduction:

Suppression of alcohol dependence using baclofen: a 2-year observational study of 100 patients
          Renaud de Beaurepaire
          Groupe Hospitalier Paul-Guiraud, Villejuif, France
          Aims: The purpose of this study was to examine the long-term effects of baclofen in a large cohort of alcohol-dependent patients compliant to baclofen treatment. Methods: A hundred patients with alcohol dependence, resistant to usual treatments, were treated with escalating doses of baclofen (no superior limit). Alcohol consumption (in grams) and craving for alcohol were assessed before treatment and at 3, 6, 12, and 24 months. Assessments were simply based on patients’ statements. The outcome measure was the consumption of alcohol, rated according to the World Health Organization criteria for risk of chronic harm. Results: While all patients were rated “at high risk” at baseline, approximately half of them were rated “at low risk” at 3, 6, 12, and 24 months. The sum of patients who were at “low risk” and at “moderate risk” (improved patients) was 84% at 3 months, 70% at 6 months, 63% at 1 year, and 62% at 2 years. The constancy of improvement over the 2-years was remarkable. The average maximal dose of baclofen taken was 147 mg/day. Ninety-two percentage of patients reported that they experienced the craving-suppressing effect of baclofen. Significant relationships were found between the amount in grams of alcohol taken before treatment and the maximal dose of baclofen required, and between the existence of a mental disorder and a lesser effect of baclofen. Conclusion
          : Baclofen produces an effortless decrease or suppression of alcohol craving when it is prescribed with no superior limit of dose. Potential limitations in the effectiveness of baclofen include the coexistence of a mental disorder, the concomitant use of other psychotropic drugs, a lack of real motivation in patients to stop drinking, and the impossibility to reach the optimal dose of baclofen because of unbearable side-effects (sometimes possibly related to too sharp a protocol of dose escalation).

Comment

Thanks Don for sharing this information. Interestingly,
            This one statement has stirred many questions in my mind..

Significant relationships were found between the amount in grams of alcohol taken before treatment and the maximal dose of baclofen required.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on this statement?

Comment

Thanks Don, this is great news!

I personally know it works but studies like this will go a long way to helping others in need. If I'm not mistaken, other studies results should be coming out soon? It might be worth compiling in a single area (or thread). Y'all might be way ahead of me on this, but maybe we can "pin it" at the top of the Meds threads? Just a suggestion, but dammit, when something that saves a person's life comes around, you want to scream it from the rooftops!

The added bonus for me is the acceptance by naysayers and also people I care about that this medicine isn't a fluke.

Cheers!

Comment

great info! thanks Don!

Comment

Today I had an appointment with my psychiatrist. I gave him a copy of the study. He was very pleased.
                  I hope he can use it for the good sake.

Thanks again for posting, Don.

Comment

Hi @all

TexasAg wrote: If I'm not mistaken, other studies results should be coming out soon?I don?t think so. The results of two big French clinical studies should come in 2014. But I see serious problems in recruiting the necessary number of participants, so it will be probably in 2015. Then the results have to be published, acknowledged and accepted by the physicians. After that somebody has to run for an application for admission. I fear that all this will take years and years.

Xadrian wrote:
                    Today I had an appointment with my psychiatrist. I gave him a copy of the study. He was very pleased.
                    Well done, Xadrian! And don?t forget to spread the ?Baclofen prescribing guide? you can find here...

DonQuixote

P.S. Sorry, my English isn?t so good.
                    My German forum: www.forum-baclofen.com / My general informations: www.baclofen.wiki

Comment

DonQuixote;1425009 wrote: Well done, Xadrian! And don?t forget to spread the ?Baclofen prescribing guide? you can find here...
                      I gave him that too He was pleased with the attached titration schedule.

Comment

Hi Xadrian & @all

Xadrian wrote: He was pleased with the attached titration schedule.
                        Once again well done, Xadrian! The titration schedule mentioned in the ?Baclofen prescribing guide? is a very cautious one. This titration schedule intends to avoid as much as possible undesirable side effects, beause they are one of the main reasons, high dosed Baclofen therapy against alcoholism remains unsuccessful. In ?normal cases?, you can simply double the speed. If undesirable side effects occurs, just slow down.

DonQuixote

Comment

I had an email today from a doctor who uses baclofen in a London hospital. He mentioned that a doctor/professor at Imperial College at the University of London https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=anne+lingford-hughes&rlz=1C1TEUA_enGB482GB482&aq=0&oq=ann+lingfo r&sugexp=chrome,mod=7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 applied for funding of a trail of baclofen in 2010.

This is interesting because the head of her faculty is Dr. David Nutt https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=david+nutt+imperial+college&rlz=1C1TEUA_e nGB482GB482&oq=david+nutt+imperial+college&sugexp= chrome,mod=7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

He collaborated with Dr. Jonathan Chick on this paper in which baclofen is recommended for treatment of alcoholism: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/85ybb2gvgkp8oml/ygJH255dkY/Chick%20and%20Nutt%20report.pdf

Dr. Lingford-Hughes is an advisor to the National Instituted for Clinical Excellence NICE which advises on the best treatments for use by doctors. In spite of the epidemic status of alcohol abuse in the UK and the devastatgion this brings to families and, well, everyone, NICE refuse to take any active stance in reviewing the use of alcohol, saying they watch developments but, if the are not told to reconsider their position then they don't. I cannot understand the position they are taking as it seems there are changs in this field every few months.
                          BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Here is what the report says about obstacles to using baclofen:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/85ybb2gvgkp8oml/ygJH255dkY/Chick%20and%20Nutt%20report.pdf

What are the barriers to alcohol
                            substitution treatment?
                            Barriers to alcohol substitution treatment come in many
                            forms. Abstinence based treatments such as delivered by
                            AA have been the bedrock of alcoholism treatment in the
                            UK and especially the USA for decades. The philosophy of
                            AA cautions against the use of substitution treatments, which
                            are perceived as ‘chemical crutches’ that delay or obscure the
                            possibility of emotional and spiritual recovery. The general
                            public tends to view alcohol dependence as a failure of will
                            which is therefore best dealt with by psychological
                            approaches to strengthen determination or deal with underlying weaknesses, and few are aware that other options exist.
                            This is seen also in commentaries on opioid addiction where
                            there are those who oppose substitution treatment with methadone partly on moral and philosophical grounds even
                            though many studies have shown it to be a cost effective
                            way of reducing social harm.
                            Another major hurdle is resistance from the medical professions who tend to the populist view of alcoholism as a
                            moral rather than a medical problem. This is manifest by a
                            degree of hostility to substitution therapy which often
                            emerges as a disproportionate concern over the negative or
                            adverse effects of alternative agents. Thus the problems of
                            benzodiazepines are exaggerated and much lower thresholds
                            for harms or concerns are tolerated compared with the toxic
                            effects of alcohol itself. This issue is exaggerated by the threat
                            of medical negligence charges that hangs over benzodiazepine
                            prescribing especially in people with a history of drug and
                            alcohol dependence. The very cautious guidance offered by
                            professional bodies such as the Royal College of Psychiatrists
                            (1997) is not helpful in some situations.
                            Ongoing issues about the dependence liability of the benzodiazepines limit their use even though they are much safer
                            than alcohol. Notwithstanding a risk of paradoxical effects as
                            noted above, a prescription of these drugs might benefit some
                            alcoholic patients with chronic anxiety; yet this is denied
                            while further damage from alcohol ensues. Similar concerns
                            are now being raised about baclofen and GHB substitution
                            therapy even though these agents do not have the toxicity of
                            alcohol and its main metabolite acetaldehyde. Some of this
                            prejudice derives from older experience with more toxic
                            agents such as the barbiturates and meprobamate which
                            could be fatal in overdose.
                            The fact that people in treatment with these drugs may
                            experience a degree of dependence on them, and indeed
                            some liking or craving for them, should not be a barrier to
                            their use. Indeed in the opioid field such experiences are considered an essential element of the treatment regime for they
                            improve or even drive compliance and so reduces relapse to
                            the more dangerous drug of primary dependence, heroin.
                            Xyrem was introduced, at least in the USA, with a fairly
                            elaborate and apparently successful system to limit its misuse.
                            Nevertheless concern has been expressed as to the effectiveness of such controls if the patient population are alcohol
                            dependent (Sewell and Petrakis, 2011). Others advise against
                            premature closure on this question (Caputo, 2011). In Italy
                            and Austria, where Alcoverr />has been marketed since the
                            1990s, Alcover
                            is almost only prescribed to outpatients by
                            centres specializing in alcoholism or addiction. This pattern of
                            prescription has effectively prevented the occurrence of drug
                            diversion or abuse.
                            Such treatments will not be a substitute, however, for the
                            psychological and social changes that many patients will need
                            to make to consolidate their recovery. The role of medications
                            is to allow a period of sobriety so that the planning and practice of those changes can be commenced. One cannot learn to
                            navigate in a sinking ship.
                            To change the attitude of UK addiction psychiatrists
                            to substitution therapy for alcohol dependence will require
                            considerable education and evidence, but with the high UK
                            death rates from alcohol-related liver disease (Leon and
                            McCambridge 2006; NHS Statistics on Alcohol, 2010;
                            Information Services Division, 2009) now is the time to
                            engage in the debate.
                            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Otter;1438113 wrote: Here is what the report says about obstacles to using baclofen:

What are the barriers to alcohol
                              substitution treatment?
                              Barriers to alcohol substitution treatment come in many
                              forms. Abstinence based treatments such as delivered by
                              AA have been the bedrock of alcoholism treatment in the
                              UK and especially the USA for decades. The philosophy of
                              AA cautions against the use of substitution treatments, which
                              are perceived as ?chemical crutches? that delay or obscure the
                              possibility of emotional and spiritual recovery. The general
                              public tends to view alcohol dependence as a failure of will
                              which is therefore best dealt with by psychological
                              approaches to strengthen determination or deal with underlying weaknesses, and few are aware that other options exist.
                              This is seen also in commentaries on opioid addiction where
                              there are those who oppose substitution treatment with methadone partly on moral and philosophical grounds even
                              though many studies have shown it to be a cost effective
                              way of reducing social harm.
                              Another major hurdle is resistance from the medical professions who tend to the populist view of alcoholism as a
                              moral rather than a medical problem. This is manifest by a
                              degree of hostility to substitution therapy which often
                              emerges as a disproportionate concern over the negative or
                              adverse effects of alternative agents. Thus the problems of
                              benzodiazepines are exaggerated and much lower thresholds
                              for harms or concerns are tolerated compared with the toxic
                              effects of alcohol itself. This issue is exaggerated by the threat
                              of medical negligence charges that hangs over benzodiazepine
                              prescribing especially in people with a history of drug and
                              alcohol dependence. The very cautious guidance offered by
                              professional bodies such as the Royal College of Psychiatrists
                              (1997) is not helpful in some situations.
                              Ongoing issues about the dependence liability of the benzodiazepines limit their use even though they are much safer
                              than alcohol. Notwithstanding a risk of paradoxical effects as
                              noted above, a prescription of these drugs might benefit some
                              alcoholic patients with chronic anxiety; yet this is denied
                              while further damage from alcohol ensues. Similar concerns
                              are now being raised about baclofen and GHB substitution
                              therapy even though these agents do not have the toxicity of
                              alcohol and its main metabolite acetaldehyde. Some of this
                              prejudice derives from older experience with more toxic
                              agents such as the barbiturates and meprobamate which
                              could be fatal in overdose.
                              The fact that people in treatment with these drugs may
                              experience a degree of dependence on them, and indeed
                              some liking or craving for them, should not be a barrier to
                              their use. Indeed in the opioid field such experiences are considered an essential element of the treatment regime for they
                              improve or even drive compliance and so reduces relapse to
                              the more dangerous drug of primary dependence, heroin.
                              Xyrem was introduced, at least in the USA, with a fairly
                              elaborate and apparently successful system to limit its misuse.
                              Nevertheless concern has been expressed as to the effectiveness of such controls if the patient population are alcohol
                              dependent (Sewell and Petrakis, 2011). Others advise against
                              premature closure on this question (Caputo, 2011). In Italy
                              and Austria, where Alcover
                              has been marketed since the
                              1990s, Alcover
                              is almost only prescribed to outpatients by
                              centres specializing in alcoholism or addiction. This pattern of
                              prescription has effectively prevented the occurrence of drug
                              diversion or abuse.
                              Such treatments will not be a substitute, however, for the
                              psychological and social changes that many patients will need
                              to make to consolidate their recovery. The role of medications
                              is to allow a period of sobriety so that the planning and practice of those changes can be commenced. One cannot learn to
                              navigate in a sinking ship.
                              To change the attitude of UK addiction psychiatrists
                              to substitution therapy for alcohol dependence will require
                              considerable education and evidence, but with the high UK
                              death rates from alcohol-related liver disease (Leon and
                              McCambridge 2006; NHS Statistics on Alcohol, 2010;
                              Information Services Division, 2009) now is the time to
                              engage in the debate.
                              The problem with AA is that AA says our drinking is the result of a spiritual disease; that the bottle was "only a symptom." But what happens if you don't have a spiritual problem? What happens if you have few--or no--resentments to list in your Fourth Step inventory?
                              That any resentments you may have really are the Other Person's fault? What do you do then?

AA does not try to solve this problem; only craving reduction can.

Comment

Working...
                              X