Newbie here/Baclofen guidance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, I have been hanging around these boards for a while now and have greatly enjoyed reading many of your posts. My reasons for taking Baclofen now are slightly different from many of yours, but not by much. Sorry this is kinda long, but first let me give you a few details. I am an addict and an alcoholic who also experiences considerable social anxiety that has severely impaired my life. I am also extremely med intolerant and lets just say that because of that, I am a doctors worst nightmare. After much research, I came across Baclofen and suggested it to an old p-doc. He actually quickly prescribed it to me but I quit taking it shortly afterwards because I thought it was depressing me.

Fast forward about eight years after a really difficult internship (I’m actually going to school to be a substance abuse counselor) I got desperate. I may have been prescribed Baclofen for alcohol cravings at one time, but to be honest after many severe benders where I made an absolute fool of myself, I have since formed a natural aversion to alcohol on my own. My real nemesis however, that has driven me back to other things (such as opiates) has been the social anxiety.

Just recently, I had a relapse with opiates because I so badly wanted to control my anxiety. I knew I had to quit the opiates however, and remembered how I had read that Baclofen was also good for opiate withdrawals and cravings as well so I had it prescribed again. I started back on Baclofen just for the opiate withdrawal and long story short, after three weeks at only 30 mg (10 mg 3 times a day) suddenly realized that my anxiety was just gone, simply gone. It was like an absolute miracle for me, as I feel like I was set free! It didn’t depress me this time, but what it did do was give me some super wicked hallucinations so I decided I should taper off of it, but found my anxiety returning so went back up for a couple days only to find that the hallucinations and nightmares had quit.

The only thing that I am now very worried about considering my past experiences with medication, is that when I do decide to come off of it (as I really don’t want to stay on it for the rest of my life) that I might not be able to tolerate the withdrawal. I have tried many other meds and with each had really, really severe withdrawal symptoms while tapering .So I’m stuck in a dilemma. I have a naturopath that says I MUST get off of it ASAP, and I also had another doctor tell me to be careful with it as it is not used for anxiety.I have also thought about trying to temporarily taper off of it just to see how I respond to the taper, and if it is relatively smooth will get back on it just for when I begin a new job that is coming up in the next few months. I really love not having anxiety but also know that the longer that I take it, the harder coming off of it is going to be.

I guess my questions are, have any of the sensitive folks came off of Baclofen with manageable withdrawal? My other question, and I know that this is a long shot, but I’ve heard how after coming off of Baclofen that alcohol cravings are still somehow suppressed... do you think there is ANY way possible that this might work for anxiety as well?

I just don’t want to give up on something and freak out if there have really been people who have taken it for a time when they needed it and managed the withdrawals relatively successfully. Thanks any help is appreciated. I know there is no easy answer as everyone is different, but maybe hearing some experiences and opinions from many on this board who have taken Baclofen might help me in figuring out what the best thing to do is. Thanks so much!

Continued suppression of alcohol cravings? For a while probably, but not sure how long. Anxiety? Um most likely not so much. Have you tried gabapentin? That seems to be a miracle drug for a lot of people.

[EDIT: My bad, I was on my phone earlier, so this was a really short post. The longer version is I went down to 0 from 240, and still not having cravings as of 1 month bac-free. Anxiety is off and on, sometimes through the roof, but I've also been drinking off and on, in spite of not having cravings. Also not getting any kind of euphoric high from AL, which is probably why I have such an easy time not drinking... The point is to say that yes, cravings are suppressed for a while. As for social anxiety, not sure I can be much help there. I don't usually feel anxious in social situations necessarily, and I think my drinking is more related to looking into the dark abyss of my life more generally... Hope this all helps. And :welcome:]

Comment

Thanks Stuckin, wow from 240! Whew my inhibitions have been drastically lowered just from 30 mg... Id probably be swinging from the rafters naked at 240!( which hey, my friends wouldnt be too shocked about as theyve seen similar things from me years ago if ya know what I mean(-; )Then again, I think Ive read that Bac works better for anxiety at lower doses, not sure about that though. So do you think some of the anxiety you have now is rebound anxiety or maybe morseo anxiety from drinking? I would think it may just be from little bit of both.

Oh yea, I ve been on the whole loop of meds.. your right though Neurontin I absoultely loved but I had to quit it because it started inflaming my skin and hair follicles and my hair would started falling out right away and had to put cooling gel on my scalp to stop the pain. Ive had the exact same reaction to other anticonvulsants such as Topamax as well. I took just one Topamax and had to have icepacks on my head all night with hair instantly falling out in clumps, Ill tell ya that one was really painful.

To show you how bad I react to meds, although I know its not approved for the same thing as Neurontin,I even had Lyrica at one point prescribed for pain. Its almost like extra strong neurontin though, so it works in a very similar way. Well, I loved Lyrica too but for petes sake that one caused me to have a mental breakdown (which the doc said it has def been known to do), so needless to say Im holding my breath with the bac now as I dont have many options left.

Not to get my own thread off track here but are there any other anticonvulsants youve heard that have worked like Neurontin other than Topamax and Lyrica cause for a time I handled Neurontin REALLY well and was able to taper( with some difficulty yes) but for the relief it provided, easily enough.Thanks!

Comment

Coming down from 30 is nothing but I am not sure there's a good reason to.

My understanding that is a completely safe and manageable dosage. If you do go down I would say no more than 10mg per week.

Good luck.

Comment

Hey COS- thanks SO much for the reasurance. If I do taper Ill def follow that advice!

Comment

No problem at all!

Comment

Working...
            X