Baclofen and general anesthesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I`m feeling this might be related; she had panic attack like reactions and some hallucinations yesterday (one day after the operation). She had something similar before, 1-2 years ago; but she used to drink a lot back then.

Comment

joethelion;1441513 wrote: I`m feeling this might be related; she had panic attack like reactions and some hallucinations yesterday (one day after the operation). She had something similar before, 1-2 years ago; but she used to drink a lot back then.
      The only time I had a general anaesthetic I had a funny turn the following day, I think it's a normal reaction.
      I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

joethelion;1441513 wrote: I`m feeling this might be related; she had panic attack like reactions and some hallucinations yesterday (one day after the operation). She had something similar before, 1-2 years ago; but she used to drink a lot back then.
        This happens more frequently than thought. My mom always reacts to general anesthesia by having hallucinations and paranoia the next day after she comes out of it.

The nurses told me it is common and it rights itself within a few days as the body gets rid of the anesthesia.

I hope your wife is doing well.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Sorry if I didnt read all the responsese and this has been covered.

12 hours before general anesthesia, baclofen should be out of your system by then, any withdrawal symptoms will be not available b/c you will be under anesthesia.

You wont get seizures or bad reactions, then make sure you are reinstated on baclofen post-surgery.l Although many of the medications you will be taking will prevent baclofen withdrawal syndrome

Make it a point of contention after the surgery to reinsate baclofen, no worries beforehand

Comment

Either because of the break from bac for 24 hours, or the anesthesia, she had the mild panic attack and hallucination effects for two days, then it passed. She told me especially the anti-depressant helped a lot too. As usual, many thanks to all who commented and supported

Comment

I ended up needing an emergency appendectomy last week and came out fine on 180mg of bac/day. The worst part about it was the condescending attitude from the hospital staff when I was honest about my dosage. It also took some time to convince the Drs. that I did indeed need 60mg 3 times a day after I got out of surgery because the bottle says 'take as directed'.

Then when I did my follow up with my family Dr. he said I really need to work on getting off the bac and that my dosage was the 'talk of the hospital' when he called to get records. Sigh. Oh well, I'm not going to go under anesthesia or recovery without being honest about my dosage. Once again I just can't believe the most effective tool I've found to fight alcoholism is so harshly judged and discouraged by the medical staff who are supposed to be helping. The fight continues.

Comment

Working...
              X