The UK position has changed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In July I wrote to NICE about Baclofen and was told it was not the subject of any special consideration as a medication which should be prescribed off-licence. I again wrote to NICE here a few weeks ago and made the point that the current position is akin to culpable homicide because people are dying every day because a medication which does treat alcoholism and does stop people drinking is not being used when the risks of the disease far outweigh the risks of the medication. I made the point that the Minister of Health should be aware that his staff are blaming him because they say only those issues which he directs should be considered are and baclofen is not one of them. I asked whether the Minister was aware of this.

Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE).

In July 2012 we advised you that your correspondence on the use of baclofen for alcohol addiction had been referred to colleagues in the NICE Topic Selection team. I have now been advised that this topic is currently being considered as a potential topic for our Evidence Summaries: unlicensed and off-label medicines (ESUOM) work programme. Evidence summaries are a new product from NICE that summarise the best available evidence for selected unlicensed and off-label medicines. You can read more about evidence summaries on our website

We expect to have an update on whether baclofen will progress as a topic for evidence summaries towards the end of March 2013, but it is important to note that there is no guarantee we will develop advice on this topic.

Regards

Teresa

Teresa Birch
    Associate Director (Enquiry Handling and Internal Communications)
    National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence
    Level 1A | City Tower | Piccadilly Plaza | Manchester M1 4BD | United Kingdom
    Tel: 44 (0)845 003 7781 | Fax: 44 (0)845 003 7785
    Web: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Here is the letter I wrote:

Dear Ms Birch

I have been in correspondence with Janet Fahie in relation to the failure by NICE and the UK government to take appropriate or any action with respect to the rapidly changing field of alcohol and addiction treatment and in particular the use of Baclofen

I have also been in contact with my MP, Jim Murphy, who is aware of Greater Glasgow NHS trials of this medicine. I have been told that it is not the job of NICE, effectively, to guide doctors, inform them, prevent unnecessary deaths, investigate new forms of medication, life saving techniques etc etc. unless told to do so by someone in cabinet and only if they see it as a national priority of sorts. Apparently the several million people afflicted by alcoholism and the tens of thousands who die from it yearly are not seen as important enough to warrant anyone doing anything at all about a treatment now available cheaply and provided by many doctors here and around the world.

This treatment is now supported by a number of doctors in Glasgow and particularly doctors in the gastro-enterology department at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley. I was told by our doctor there that this treatment may be used elsewhere if, for instance, the treatment is picked up in an "audit".

In the meantime, the French government has initiated a major trial of this mediation for alcoholism. You may be interested to know that the treatment works for heroin and cocaine addiction. It's effect in these addictions is well known and has been for many years now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byain0Vo5mo[/video]]Baclofen dramatically reduces cocaine craving - YouTube

I have to say, as a lawyer, that when a public body stands by in the face of a new development which would save lives and deliberately does not fulfill its statutory role of advising the profession fully on such a development, and as a result people die, that body, in my opinion, involves itself in criminally culpable homicide. And that is precisely what your department is engaged in.

I would like to know why, when NHS Glasgow and the most senior doctors in this field in the UK and the world are using this treatment, your department feels it has no role.

Is the Minister of Health aware that his department may be ignoring a medical treatment which could save lives and is blaming their inaction on him?

I would appreciate hearing from you.

Yours sincerely
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Thank you for trying to help us, Otter!
      Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Otter,:goodjob:

In the U.S. that's called "gettin it done".
        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Damn boy. That stung a little bit. :H

:goodjob:
          :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
          :what?:
          sigpic
          Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
          A Forum
          Trolls need not apply

Comment

Justing reading this (wow) i dont take balcofen but reading ur letter i to like to say Thanx you for helping others otter.
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Working...
            X