Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charter for Compassion

Charter for Compassion

Just thought I would post this in case anyone was interested. I think it ties in with the idea behind this forum, that people put aside differences and just get on with helping each other live.
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Charter for Compassion

Otter;1463914 wrote: Charter for Compassion

Just thought I would post this in case anyone was interested. I think it ties in with the idea behind this forum, that people put aside differences and just get on with helping each other live.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kradle123

My thoughts exactly , Polly.
    Can you say The Tobacco law suits? I choose to do this and RJ choose to create this great site so we could all help each other.
    Why would we want to ruin all that with a bunch of lawyers...?

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Otter

What?

Yes, I can say The Tobacco law suits:

Tobacco Litigation: History & Recent Developments | Nolo.com

Individual Lawsuits in Florida
    In 2006, the Florida Supreme Court threw out a class action lawsuit brought on behalf of 700,000 smokers and their families against tobacco companies. In its ruling, the court found that tobacco companies knowingly sold dangerous products and kept smoking health risks concealed, but that the case could not proceed as a class action. Instead, the court ruled that each case must be proven individually.
    This ruling paved the way for over 8,000 smokers and their families to bring individual lawsuits against the tobacco companies. In these lawsuits, plaintiffs need only prove that the individual plaintiff was harmed by an addiction to cigarettes. In the first of these cases to go to trial, the jury found that the death of a long-time smoker, Stuart Hess, was caused by his addiction to cigarettes.

There, I said it.

What you and Polly are suggesting is that people choose to smoke?? So they can't sue for the health damage it has caused.

WRONG. Strike one.

Or, maybe you are saying that alcohol isn't addictive.

WRONG. Strike two.

Or maybe that alcohol doesn't cause physical damage to health
    Wrong. Strike three. Yiiiiiiiiiiir OUT.

With thinking like that no wonder there is a huge alcohol problem.

Sorry for being so sarcastic but I just don't get where you are coming from and frankly, I don't want to know.

Hey, but why should the two of you give a tinker's about the carnage caused by alcoholism...you've got huggies and kissies. Why compensate a family which has been ruined by drink in the same way as tobacco has when they can come here and have a chat about their cat and what they had for breakfast.

Last edited by Otter : 02-07-2013 at 03:33 AM.

You might want to read the charter again Otter...

Sorry for being sarcastic.
    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Charter for Compassion

Didn't get it.

I am sorry but I don't "get" your post at all.

I used a baseball metaphor to make a point about your attitude. You were critical of "a bunch of lawyers" who won compensation for the families of people who were killed by tobacco companies. You seem to think that since alcoholics, in your opinion, "choose" to drink that my ideas are to be made fun of. You make light of the pain that families suffer through alcoholism.

Law suits compensate people, stop others from engaging in damaging behaviour and change attitudes. In this case, the tobacco law suits hopefully will help save lives and compensate the families of those who died. Where does your off the cuff put down of lawyers fit into any of that?

Nope, sorry, I don't get it.
      BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Charter for Compassion

I'm afraid that the tobacco law suits were all about the money. Like most things in life.
        Otherwise, tobacco had long been forbidden by now. Alcohol also would have been.

There is no such thing as a "compensation" for a loss of a life or the destruction of a family.
        Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Charter for Compassion

Xadrian;1464365 wrote: I'm afraid that the tobacco law suits were all about the money. Like most things in life.
          Otherwise, tobacco had long been forbidden by now. Alcohol also would have been.

There is no such thing as a "compensation" for a loss of a life or the destruction of a family.
          Yep I agree. Alcohol and tobacco are legal because the government taxes the heck out of it and has figured out how to control it. Other drugs aren't legal because the govt hasn't figured out how to do that. That's the US govt. It's the same with prostitution. Once the govt of Nevada figured out how to regulate and tax the bordellos, it was legal (not everywhere - just the places they certify).
          Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Charter for Compassion

I agree. Money cannot compensate.

The basis of the claims against suppliers of tobacco is that you pay for a product which they represent will do certain things, ie., make you feel like Marlboro man, taste like menthol etc. They also tell you that you are buying something which might be bad for your health. If after using it you find you are addicted to it and they didn't tell you that, you have paid for something which wasn't what you were expecting to get so they have to "compensate" by restoring you back to the position you should have been in if you had been properly informed. The only way the court can do that is to put a price tag on it which is artificial. It is supposed to make companies either stop making dangerous products or give people an informed choice about buying the product. Then there is the government position which is that they can sue simply because these products are causing huge expense to the public purse.

I think the same argument would go for alcoholism. Even here there is considerable opposition to the idea that alcoholism is an addiction rather than a life style choice which can be stopped by the user.

My main point is that if alcohol producers thought they could face huge law suits they might start supporting a very effective treatment. If a manufacturer of a product which could be poisonous if swallowed knew there was an antidote, they should make that known to purchasers.

One way of scaring alcohol producers is to put the word out that they could be in the same position as tobacco companies. I know it is a cockeyed idea but, hey, whatever works. Who knows?!
            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

Charter for Compassion

Otter;1463971 wrote: I am sorry but I don't "get" your post at all.

I used a baseball metaphor to make a point about your attitude. You were critical of "a bunch of lawyers" who won compensation for the families of people who were killed by tobacco companies. You seem to think that since alcoholics, in your opinion, "choose" to drink that my ideas are to be made fun of. You make light of the pain that families suffer through alcoholism.

Law suits compensate people, stop others from engaging in damaging behaviour and change attitudes. In this case, the tobacco law suits hopefully will help save lives and compensate the families of those who died. Where does your off the cuff put down of lawyers fit into any of that?

Nope, sorry, I don't get it.
              Didn't understand your ... posts either...

Good luck on your journey.

:goodluck:
              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Working...
              X