Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and shallow breathing

Hi all,

New here so forgive me if this post is not in the right place. I have been gradually increasing my dose of baclofen over the last couple of months under the close supervision of my doctor who has years of experience in dealing with baclofen and alcoholism specifically (I am very lucky in this respect).

I have currently reached 150 mg per day, taken in 50 mg doses in the morning, afternoon and evening. This has been increased reasonably slowly and only under the advisement of my doctor. It has helped immeasurably, and my daily drinking has cut itself back to a tiny fraction of what it was, certainly the lowest it has been in 5 years, with very little craving to drink. My anxiety has gone down considerably, and I have left the apartment without having drank for the first time in 4 months. I do feel that a slight increase in my baclofen dose and I will be on my way very easily to my first alcohol free day in maybe 6 years.

I have recently increased from 100 mg to 125 mg and now to 150 mg. The side effects of being very sleepy, and sometimes not being able to sleep at night are perfectly fine by me. However, I have noticed in the past few days since hitting 150 mg that my breathing at times is very shallow. It almost feels like I have "forgotten" to breath from time to time and take a big inhale all of the sudden. This is especially upsetting when it happens at night or in the morning and disrupts what I feel would be a reasonable nights sleep.

What I wanted to ask was whether anyone can tell me their experiences with shallow breathing as a side effect. Also, specifically whether or not this alleviated itself after a few days or not. I am very willing to put up with this for another while as long as it is not likely to progress any further, and is likely to get better if I maintain my current dose. I will not be speaking to my doctor for another week, but at least knowing of other peoples experience might help me to hold out till then.

Any information and experiences would be very much appreciated! Of course I can also share anything I have experienced if it is useful to someone else.

:welcome:

Getting a doc to prescribe is great! Relieves a lot of the anxiety of self treating.

To your point, I experienced this around the 140mg titration. But to be fair, I had experienced this at times before I started taking Bac. My experience didn't last more than a week or two, sorry can't remember exactly, but it went away.

Others here have experienced sleep apnea, which is what I think your describing.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for the response! Yes, it seems to be the standard treatment at the hospital here for people in my category - and it's free too, I do feel lucky. It seems to get worse around 5 hours after taking my last dose, and happens during the day too - whenever I am feeling very tired in particular. In fact, at the moment the anxiety surrounding it seems to be the only reason I drink at all anymore. I think if this goes away, and perhaps with a further small increase in dose, if they recommend it, and I will be able to stop drinking daily at least.

I will of course check with the doctor at the earliest opportunity but it is relieving to hear that it also occurred for others at this intake and that it may go away if I ride it out. I have been on this dosage for about 4 days now, so I am hoping that it does not take much longer. I was very anxious in case it might get worse, or I am putting myself at any serious risk. If anyone has any experience to the contrary I think I will try and check earlier, but I am trying to avoid that.

Comment

I think you will be okay. Could also be anxiety related. I had periods of that. At least I perceived it that way. There are some very real and strange SE's with baclofen.

I would mention it to your doctor but I think it will pass in time. In time, though. It may be weeks so keep that in mind. I still get tinnitus at times. I am so used to it, it no longer bothers me much. Sadly I have to go down on my dose for medical reasons unrelated.

Hang in there and welcome.

Comment

Hi, SuperH: Welcome! So glad you've joined us, and look forward to your posts. ESPECIALLY since you're working with one of the few physicians I've ever heard about who have experience with bac/al. Yet, even with that incredible resource, which I think, ummm . . . none of us have had, there's really, really GREAT information in these MWO threads. Stuff even your doc might be interested in.

I am pretty much a "poster child" for baclofen. I quit drinking alcoholically from Day 1. I never had uncomfortable side effects. The SE's I did encounter I mostly enjoyed. Just as information, I experimented a bit, and have landed at 120 mg/day as my maintenance dose. I've lowered it considerably, for some time (I started in Oct. '09), but for general life, I'm good here. Although, I must say, the circumstances of my "general life" just now are more demanding than I could have ever imagined. And I'm meeting them, and even enjoying the challenge - so the bac seems to be exactly right for me.

Regarding breathing, I think I may be unique among the baclofentists I know here. Before I fell into a wine bottle, I had many years of study, practice, and even teaching as my means of income, yoga and meditation. I recognized pretty quickly after starting with bac that the years of training myself in breathing techniques was aiding me - a lot - with baclofen. By the time I started taking it, there was already a pretty automatic response built into my nervous system of noticing my breath, and almost without even "thinking" about it, consciously deepening my breath.

How it felt, for me, was as if my intentional breathing went "below" the shallow breaths. So the shallow-breath syndrome was never uncomfortable. And I recognized quite soon that I was doing this, and that these techniques, and a lot more from yoga and meditation training were giving me tools that most people didn't have. And that made my "trip" a breeze, comparatively.

It's not necessary to take decades of classes to cultivate these techniques! I DO, however, heartily recommend find a well-trained yoga instructor to help you, if you want to check it out. And hey, these are tools for a lifetime, not JUST for dealing with bac! If you want this kind of specific training, you would probably have to schedule a few private sessions. But I'd put money down that you'll notice the difference after one. The Big. Deal. though, is to make sure you find a really good instructor. If you get interested in this, let me know where you live and I may be able to help.

I have accidentally overdosed on bac 2 times Man, oh man, was I grateful to know how to focus on my breath then . . . 'cause I wasn't sure the next one was going to come unless I did it, consciously! I'm sure that I saved myself immeasurable suffering and money by staying calm and on-top-of that bac side-effect, and from having read endless posts about different people's experiences that helped me know what to, and not to, do.

So I'm SURE you'll be fine. But think about this . . . who in the world gets instructions in how to breathe and how to relax? I mean, we are taught a LOT, but those two essentials are only part of yoga training, as far as I know. And I know how empowering it is to have those skills in one's toolbox. Good luck with your doc. PLEASE keep posting with us. We've all gone it alone so far, so long, that your information will be really helpful. All the best!
          "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Hey people, thank you so much for the replies! I did get some advice about this, and at this dosage this particular side effect should not really be happening. That is not a contradiction for anyone who did, just that it was a surprise. He did suggest cutting back to 100 mg's and talking about it at the next meeting.
            Reading between the lines, I think the motivation for that was to deal with my own fear rather than any specific medical worries. It is after all perhaps no help if I am in a state of anxiousness about it, and can't sleep as a result. In retrospect, I also feel that perhaps there was a large component of psychological worry involved.
            I really, really appreciate the suggestion of yoga. Indeed, after thinking about it a lot and getting some reassurance that I was most likely in no danger, it eased my mind, and I started to pay less attention to every physical manifestation that popped up. In this respect, it would be great to try some of these techniques.
            In the end I decided to work through it. To be honest I had never felt such a relief to not have to grab for a beer at every moment during the day. I was drinking up to 6 liters of beer a day during the weekdays and much more at the weekends - for about the last 5-6 years. At 150 mg the change was simply astounding. To be honest, before being suggested to try baclofen, I had never heard of this drug. At 150 mg, the only reason I seemed to drink at all anymore was when I got panicked about some weird sensation or other that I think was merely a side effect.
            Sticking with it was the best idea I have ever made. I left the apartment 4 days ago, without having slugged a few cans first, for the first time in 5-6 months. No panic attack, no shaking, but ok a slightly wobbly gait - but I can live with that. It turned out that once I knew that the side effects were non life-threatening, that it was uncomfortable but that I would be ok, I didn't need to drink. I am on day three of my first alcohol free days in about 6-7 years. Not a drop. Panic attacks, still have them. However, no shaking and I do not grab for a can. I have been drinking tea for three days. The funny part is that I never intended to not drink at all. I only intended to cut it back to a manageable level. It just felt so natural not to at all.
            I don't know what the next week has in store for me, and whether I will craze and just blow out. I don't think so though. So, again thank you for the feedback, sometimes easing ones fears can go a long way.

Comment

supesharsuto

I am currently taking 320 mgs/day. I just started down from 350 mgs/day.

YES, I too experienced shallow breathing and slow breathing. But DON'T worry, you won't just stop breathing in your sleep or anything like that.

It still is like that and I think it might have something to do with my anxiety level being lower than it's ever been.

Just DON"T Worry and Don't stop for that reason.

It sounds like your doing well. Keep me posted

kev:goodjob:

Comment

Hey there!

Thanks again for the many very helpful replies. I have posted a more in-depth post under "Baclofen, a week of change" for reference. It seems that the problems with breathing did not completely go away but certainly did not get worse. I did learn to manage it more effectively. Upon further consultation, it is not expected at my relatively low dosage, and is certainly not at this level in any way dangerous. Since I have gotten what I needed from baclofen at this dosage I have been advised to reduce to 100 mg on a trial basis. Again, this seems to be more a response to my anxiety around the issue than a medical imperative.
                It was great to get encouraging words and advice. I think I would have gone crazy without some kind of reassurance. So, heartfelt gratitude to all of you.

Comment

Working...
                X