Antabuse questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse questions

Hi everyone - back again - will I ever be cured of miserable AL!! I've been lurking and reading for a while, but feel to ashamed of my failure to post (all my empty promises which I alway break).

I took Campral for a couple of months before Christmas and I did quit drinking for a few weeks and then gradually started with a glass or two of wine in the evening, forgot to take the Campral and by January I'm back to one or two bottles a night!

Anyway I've signed up to an Alcohol Dependency group where i live - they offer councelling - they prescribed the Campral. I've asked to be prescribed Antabuse as I feel that it will take away the temptation to drink - I wouldn't dare knowing the consequences! I have to have blood tests first and then they will prescribe it.

I just wanted to ask those of you who take Antabuse just how careful I will have to be? The doctor I spoke to said that you can't use some deodorants, shampoos and perfumes as they contain alcohol. He also said - and this is the thing bothering me the most - that when eating in restaurants, I would need to ask if any alcohol had been used in the cooking process (I really don't want to have to do that - I eat out with my job all the time - can you imagine having to ask that every time you eat out with colleagues!!)

Have those of you taking Antabuse managed to function with a relatively 'normal' life without having to change all of the products you use and food you eat?
    Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Antabuse questions

Hey, don't be ashamed! If I only posted things I was proud of, my account would probably be deleted due to inactivity!

Anyway whatever. I don't have any experience with anabuse, but some of the ladies on the "new here and starting topa and with a question" [sic] thread are taking it. They don't seem to really even worry about it, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I would avoid NyQuil and Listerine, though

Comment

Antabuse questions

Hi! I've never had issues with perfume, shampoo, ect. As far as cooking with alcohol, you should be ok. The alcohol cooks off in the process.

Comment

Antabuse questions

Thanks Shelby and StuckinLA

I almost changed my mind about taking it with the horror stories the doctor gave me - I think he was trying to paint a worst case scenario but I had visions of me walking round with a great big AL radar on my head and smelling awful (without the deodorant and perfume!! :H)
        Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Antabuse questions

I think you'll be ok, all you can do is give it a go. When I had my bad reaction to AB it was speculated that if it wasn't a dodgy batch of AB(bought via internet), then perhaps my perfume had set the reaction off. Who knows.
          I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Antabuse questions

Hi Snap,
            I'm one of the ladies on the med thread, new here and started Topa and with a question, thread. A few of us there are now using AB and having no problems with it at all. I really love beets soaked in apple cider vinegar and I've had no problems, i haven't avoided anything at all, except as Stuck says, perhaps don't take NYQuil, but don't let the doctor scare you off. You can start off by taking 1/2 the tablet and that only last about 3 days before you can drink again if you haven't taken more. We just started off cautiously and are loving it, no SE at all. Please join us on our thread if you want to, see you there.

play

Comment

Antabuse questions

Hi there.....I've never had any problem with the Antabuse. Never a reaction to any foods/perfumes, etc. I've even used alcohol swabs without a problem. Just don't drink on it.
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse questions

I have been taking antabuse for a few weeks and no problems. I don't order anything with a wine sauce, but other than that, not a problem eating out. I had a teeny blip of a racy heart and flushing after i sprayed my usual breath spray that lasted a few minutes....nothing major. I was like duh, it's scope!
                No problems with deodorant or vinegars.
                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X